Gardening

Gracii Guns

26 minutes ago, cineater said:

There's being one with mother nature and then there's doing it with the mosquitos. :lol:

People who follow the Dead use to sell corn burritos in the parking lot to fund their trip.

You can make coffee.  Not sure about the salad.

Sorry, no fun for you.  I went and got the kid's carpet cleaner.

Hahaha, it prolly seemed better in theory :lol:

Oh “GD” is Grateful Dead. I thought, in the context, you meant ‘god damned.’ Like you really love corn burrito lol

Boo, well I get the impression Mike and his Dad will come up with something else to entertain me with!

im still tired even after falling asleep early.

Some days they look really good.  And you've been hanging out in the parking lot a while. :lol:

That heat will take it out of you.  I'd be asleep right now except Danny is coming over to see the bathrooms.  He got spared in the layoffs at work.

The coleus, while full sun, do not take full sun in 90 degree heat.  We're going higher next week so I have to move all my pots out of the hot afternoon sun.  I have a feeling I'm going to be sleeping a lot next week.  Covid numbers on the rise around here so it's better if I stay home.

The kids are having their yard graded next week and then sod put down.  Really not the time of year to do that.

12 minutes ago, cineater said:

Some days they look really good.  And you've been hanging out in the parking lot a while. :lol:

That heat will take it out of you.  I'd be asleep right now except Danny is coming over to see the bathrooms.  He got spared in the layoffs at work.

The coleus, while full sun, do not take full sun in 90 degree heat.  We're going higher next week so I have to move all my pots out of the hot afternoon sun.  I have a feeling I'm going to be sleeping a lot next week.  Covid numbers on the rise around here so it's better if I stay home.

The kids are having their yard graded next week and then sod put down.  Really not the time of year to do that.

Are we talking about Burritos are hard hippie chicks, here? :lol:

We finally got a break in the heat this morning! Its only to normal heat but it feels so cool. Hope you get some relief soon too! I feel like I didnt sleep at all though. Maybe now that the heats broke, my body is allowing itself to react?

Frustrating about the coleus. And that youll be getting even hotter!! Yes, please do stay home :) 

Damn it, the groundhog got in the cage at some point and died in the hot sun.  Marsha was almost crying.  Poor little guy.  I keep hoping they call back and say it was only playing possum.

It wasn't.  Feel so bad for it.

And then Susan almost lost her cat.  That would have killed her.

This day can end now.

Edited by cineater

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Damn it, the groundhog got in the cage at some point and died in the hot sun.  Marsha was almost crying.  Poor little guy.  I keep hoping they call back and say it was only playing possum.

It wasn't.  Feel so bad for it.

And then Susan almost lost her cat.  That would have killed her.

This day can end now.

Oh no, Cin. Im really sorry to hear this. I cant imagine. You all had the best intentions. 

We're all back home with our cats now. Thats something. 

What a cruddy day.

It's suppose to feed in the morning and evening.  I checked on him this morning.  Stayed till 9.  Figured he was not coming out until after dinner.  I could have easily went up there and checked for him a couple times today but we just didn't think he would do that.

So Susan was sitting in the park while people toured her house.  She heard something hit the top of her car.  Later the police issued an alert that shoots had been fired in the park!  She's going to look at her roof when it's daylight.

10 hours ago, cineater said:

It's suppose to feed in the morning and evening.  I checked on him this morning.  Stayed till 9.  Figured he was not coming out until after dinner.  I could have easily went up there and checked for him a couple times today but we just didn't think he would do that.

So Susan was sitting in the park while people toured her house.  She heard something hit the top of her car.  Later the police issued an alert that shoots had been fired in the park!  She's going to look at her roof when it's daylight.

Yeah, you’d only think to check at the times it feeds. Barely see them about in the heat of the day. It’s really sad. I hope you don’t feel guilty though.

what??!! So is there a bullet hole on the roof of her car?? The sale of the house would be said to be going smoothly with how fast the offer came and went through, but then there’s the fallen tree and gun play!! Ah!

And you thought things might be dull after the plant sale lol

10 minutes ago, soon said:

Nice! Tell us more? Wheres it gonna go? What type of tree are you thinking of?

I think its called a Seqouia or something.  I'm not much for gardening and all that, in fact I hate it but I been looking after my old mans garden while he's away, he's well into all that shit and like, I dunno, it just occured to me, plant a tree...I want it to be a big fucker so I googled it and thats what I found, so I bought a little baby version thats like 20 cm tall, gonna stick it in the ground, see what occurs. 

16 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I think its called a Seqouia or something.  I'm not much for gardening and all that, in fact I hate it but I been looking after my old mans garden while he's away, he's well into all that shit and like, I dunno, it just occured to me, plant a tree...I want it to be a big fucker so I googled it and thats what I found, so I bought a little baby version thats like 20 cm tall, gonna stick it in the ground, see what occurs. 

You do know that an adult Sequoia is fucking massive don't you? :lol: 

Like FUCKING MASSIVE you mad cunt!!!!! :lol: 

5616.jpg?width=1300&quality=85&auto=form

Edited by Dazey

13 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Far out. I think those do get big for sure!! Will be a neat legacy for you and he to share. I love it!

Hey man, since you mentioned not being a gardener, just thought it might be worth noting to make sure that where you plant it, it’s not gonna cast too much of a shadow over places he wants to garden? He might already have shade garden areas, though, so that would be fine in that case.

ive never planted a tree - I hope you’ll keep us up to date on it?! :headbang:

I'm trying to grow a couple of tomato plants. Don't have a garden unfortunately so I've got them in pots on the window ledge. One seems to be going pretty well but I think the other one is dead. :( 

5 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I'm trying to grow a couple of tomato plants. Don't have a garden unfortunately so I've got them in pots on the window ledge. One seems to be going pretty well but I think the other one is dead. :( 

That’s great that you’ve managed to use the space you have to grow some food! One of the 12 principles of permaculture!!

I’d love to get into this tomato plant issue if you’re game? You’ve Gardened and grown tomatoes before?

Can you describe what the sick guy looks like? If he’s got a disease you will want to quarantine him.

8 minutes ago, soon said:

That’s great that you’ve managed to use the space you have to grow some food! One of the 12 principles of permaculture!!

I’d love to get into this tomato plant issue if you’re game? You’ve Gardened and grown tomatoes before?

Can you describe what the sick guy looks like? If he’s got a disease you will want to quarantine him.

The sickly looking one has gone all droopy and the leaves are turning a funny colour. I think the poor fella is beyond help if I'm honest. :( I'll take a couple of photos when I get home for you to have a look at. 

I used to potter about in my Grandad's garden but that was over 20 years ago. I've not really dabbled a lot since. When I have grown tomatoes before I've used a greenhouse which obviously I don't have access to at this time. I've heard it's really hard to get tomato plants to bear fruit when growing indoors so I'm not sure anything will come from this but at least one of them looks pretty. :D 

Edited by Dazey

1 hour ago, soon said:

Yeah, you’d only think to check at the times it feeds. Barely see them about in the heat of the day. It’s really sad. I hope you don’t feel guilty though.

what??!! So is there a bullet hole on the roof of her car?? The sale of the house would be said to be going smoothly with how fast the offer came and went through, but then there’s the fallen tree and gun play!! Ah!

And you thought things might be dull after the plant sale lol

Feel guilty and really bad.  Horrible, lingering death, trapped in a cage.  Best intentions gone horribly wrong.

No bullet holes in the car but now the new deadbolt won't go in the hole.  WTF is with that house?  I'm beginning to believe the universe is fucking with her.

Couple of webinars coming up.  I'll forward the e-mail so you can get the links.  I'm doing the first one but you might be interested in the second one.

Wednesday, July 15, 4:00 p.m.: MPF "Happy Hour" Prairie Tour
MPF Director of Prairie Management Jerod Huebner will share beautiful photos, natural history, and management anecdotes about MPF's Carver, Noah Brown's, and La Petite Gemme.
Register for this free webinar here.

Wednesday, July 22, 4:00 p.m.: MPF Webinar: Interview with Margo Farnsworth, author of the forthcoming book from Routledge press: Biomimicry and Business: How Companies are Using Nature’s Strategies to Succeed

32 minutes ago, cineater said:

Feel guilty and really bad.  Horrible, lingering death, trapped in a cage.  Best intentions gone horribly wrong.

No bullet holes in the car but now the new deadbolt won't go in the hole.  WTF is with that house?  I'm beginning to believe the universe is fucking with her.

Couple of webinars coming up.  I'll forward the e-mail so you can get the links.  I'm doing the first one but you might be interested in the second one.

Wednesday, July 15, 4:00 p.m.: MPF "Happy Hour" Prairie Tour
MPF Director of Prairie Management Jerod Huebner will share beautiful photos, natural history, and management anecdotes about MPF's Carver, Noah Brown's, and La Petite Gemme.
Register for this free webinar here.

Wednesday, July 22, 4:00 p.m.: MPF Webinar: Interview with Margo Farnsworth, author of the forthcoming book from Routledge press: Biomimicry and Business: How Companies are Using Nature’s Strategies to Succeed

Im so sorry, Cin. This sucks. :hug: Maybe you can give him a plant as a memorial? 

The house is officially haunted. My silly mind just went straight to "Maybe Nexpo or Watcher can cover this house?!" Yeah, those are my current fave scary youtube channels :facepalm::lol: I hope that her moving plans are going more smoothly. Is she staying in town?

Both webinars look great! And you called it about me being especially into the second one! Thanks! :headbang:That is right up my alley!!:dance:

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

The sickly looking one has gone all droopy and the leaves are turning a funny colour. I think the poor fella is beyond help if I'm honest. :( I'll take a couple of photos when I get home for you to have a look at. 

I used to potter about in my Grandad's garden but that was over 20 years ago. I've not really dabbled a lot since. When I have grown tomatoes before I've used a greenhouse which obviously I don't have access to at this time. I've heard it's really hard to get tomato plants to bear fruit when growing indoors so I'm not sure anything will come from this but at least one of them looks pretty. :D 

Right on -  I’ll wait to speculate more on those pics. Sounds like yellow blight though, which could be due to a watering issue. Might survive.

sounds idyllic with your Granddad :) 

ive grown indoors successfully, but under grow lights. I’ll see in the pics if they are flowering.

also, you could grow tomatoes year round in la!!!

38 minutes ago, soon said:

Im so sorry, Cin. This sucks. :hug: Maybe you can give him a plant as a memorial? 

The house is officially haunted. My silly mind just went straight to "Maybe Nexpo or Watcher can cover this house?!" Yeah, those are my current fave scary youtube channels :facepalm::lol: I hope that her moving plans are going more smoothly. Is she staying in town?

Both webinars look great! And you called it about me being especially into the second one! Thanks! :headbang:That is right up my alley!!:dance:

Now she found a red fuzzy ball on her table she has never seen before. :lol:  The cat took it away and won't give it up.  I told her it's time to get pissed off and tell the universe to get the fuck out of her face.  She says she's trying to be all calm and zen like.  No, time to clean house and kick them out. :lol:  She did get a second offer on the house so she has a backup.

Lily just jumped to the top of that bush and sunk in. :lol:  She was looking for something in there.  Never seen a cat jump into a bush.

15 minutes ago, soon said:

Right on -  I’ll wait to speculate more on those pics. Sounds like yellow blight though, which could be due to a watering issue. Might survive.

sounds idyllic with your Granddad :) 

ive grown indoors successfully, but under grow lights. I’ll see in the pics if they are flowering.

also, you could grow tomatoes year round in la!!!

I could do with tips on grow lights actually. My apartment only gets direct sunlight for half the day so could do with a helping hand in that respect. Not looking for a full scale hydroponics operation just a little lamp I can pop on the window ledge next to the plant if such a thing exists. 

1 hour ago, cineater said:

Now she found a red fuzzy ball on her table she has never seen before. :lol:  The cat took it away and won't give it up.  I told her it's time to get pissed off and tell the universe to get the fuck out of her face.  She says she's trying to be all calm and zen like.  No, time to clean house and kick them out. :lol:  She did get a second offer on the house so she has a backup.

Lily just jumped to the top of that bush and sunk in. :lol:  She was looking for something in there.  Never seen a cat jump into a bush.

The ghosts are revealing themselves. Typical, using a red fuzzy ball :lol: And the cats enthralled by it. Like a Steven King novel! Im with you, she needs to assert her power agsint this thing!! Maybe the ghost really likes her and wants her to stay?:lol:

Hahahaha - I can picture poor lily sinking down :lol: Never can tell when their impulses will overrule their limited sense. :lol:

My beans are a mess. I need to get them trellised asap. Storm rolling in though. Thats not gonna help any either.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

I could do with tips on grow lights actually. My apartment only gets direct sunlight for half the day so could do with a helping hand in that respect. Not looking for a full scale hydroponics operation just a little lamp I can pop on the window ledge next to the plant if such a thing exists. 

Definitely there are some options that come to mind that should work with what you've described!

Ive grown them under a pair of T5s along with a full spectrum grow light. Just in soil. Full spectrum light glows red and blue. I actually ran the T5s at least 14hrs, if not more, per day. And the full spectrum for 8 - it induces flowering.

Youll need to hand pollenate those flowers too!

Ill give a think of how much you might want to supplement, if you might only need one type of light to work with the sun. But you might wanna poke around with those search terms. Full spectrum and t5 grow light lamps are available on the market and often dont cost all that much :headbang: 

I was leaving the garden when a cyclist almost ran into me due to their feelings of entitlement to the sidewalk. And since I walk with a cane, they said "move it, f@gg0t" They meant this as in "weak." Which is disablist.

For no other reason than lockdown boredom and wanting to get a laugh from the garden shorties, I decided to chase him!!! :lol:

I guess he didnt notice and it was too loud and busy out for him to hear me. And there was a stop light right away. I had no idea Id f'n catch him!! So what now??!?!?!

I think I looked more shocked and terrified then he did, when I swung my cane at his tire. :lol: Kinda a panic move on my part - figured I had to do something! :lol:

2 hours ago, soon said:

So here they are. As you can see one of them is looking a little off colour. :lol: 

ER5JHTX.jpg 

ogXhPMJ.jpg 

0qAIDvn.jpg 

2 hours ago, soon said:

I was leaving the garden when a cyclist almost ran into me due to their feelings of entitlement to the sidewalk. And since I walk with a cane, they said "move it, f@gg0t" They meant this as in "weak." Which is disablist.

For no other reason than lockdown boredom and wanting to get a laugh from the garden shorties, I decided to chase him!!! :lol:

I guess he didnt notice and it was too loud and busy out for him to hear me. And there was a stop light right away. I had no idea Id f'n catch him!! So what now??!?!?!

I think I looked more shocked and terrified then he did, when I swung my cane at his tire. :lol: Kinda a panic move on my part - figured I had to do something! :lol:

Didn't know they allowed bikes on the sidewalk.  No helmet?  He's reckless, ie accident waiting to happen.  Glad it didn't involve you.

New rules are out.  50 people on campus at one time but you have to wear masks all the time.  Gets me out of scheduling people.

Carpets are cleaned.  Done with spring house cleaning.  Just have to fill in the groundhog's home and the garden is good.

21 hours ago, Dazey said:

You do know that an adult Sequoia is fucking massive don't you? :lol: 

Like FUCKING MASSIVE you mad cunt!!!!! :lol: 

Reveal hidden contents

5616.jpg?width=1300&quality=85&auto=form

I dunno, I googled what was the fastest growing cuz I wanted to see it do some mileage while I've still got some fuckin' hair on my head and that shit came up.  The old mans garden is massive anyway, plenty of room.  For one anyway :lol:

21 hours ago, soon said:

Far out. I think those do get big for sure!! Will be a neat legacy for you and he to share. I love it!

Hey man, since you mentioned not being a gardener, just thought it might be worth noting to make sure that where you plant it, it’s not gonna cast too much of a shadow over places he wants to garden? He might already have shade garden areas, though, so that would be fine in that case.

ive never planted a tree - I hope you’ll keep us up to date on it?! :headbang:

Nah, thanks man, any advice is appreciated cuz I dunno what the fuck I'm doing :lol:  He's got like a professionally manicured lawn and all kindsa fuckin' flowers and a little woodlands bit round the back, tiny really compared to what he had before, its houses a little shed with all his tools and shit and also to stack logs for the winter when he can get the fireplace going.  plenty of room though.