The Vietnam War: A Film by Ken Burns

I’ve just started watching this 10-part, 18-hour treatise by historical filmmaker Ken Burns on the Vietnam War, which is on Netflix. So far, as is usual, the film is excellent and detailed. I can’t believe how completely lacking my education is on this topic. I’m probably going to have to watch this film a few times in order to actual absorb enough to have a working foundation on this history. 

It looks like full episodes are on YouTube as well. 

Edited by DirtyDeeds
  • Like 1

I've watched it last week. It's really very good! I like how they're focussing on all the different viewpoints as well as the surrounding political and social climates. And as mentioned before, when you watch this it slowly becomes clear how little you really know about it. 

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:23 AM, Silverburst80 said:

Fuck the NVA/Viet Cong were hard as nails. They just kept coming.

my dad served in the navy during the Vietnam war.

It was a war most of the country was against. so many men lost their lives.

My mom had a cousin who had a friend who served. He had this handbook that said how the US soldiers were guests in Vietnam and how there were all these rules. The book also had pictures of the traps the Vietcong planted all around the country. It was horrible.

My mom had friends who lost their lives there. That time in America was very depressing, she said. Nothing good came of it.

So sad.

8 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My mom had a cousin who had a friend who served. He had this handbook that said how the US soldiers were guests in Vietnam and how there were all these rules. The book also had pictures of the traps the Vietcong planted all around the country. It was horrible.

My mom had friends who lost their lives there. That time in America was very depressing, she said. Nothing good came of it.

So sad.

Yeah sad isn't the word. My best friends old man served (Australian Army) and to this day he said he hasn't spoken a word about it.

Edited by Silverburst80

Yeah from what I've heard it was a terrible war all around for everyone.

Even after all the fighting, Vietnam fell anyway. I know there is a big population of Vietnamese living in Texas. At least some of them got out and lived a better life.

I honestly don't know how our soldiers fight in these wars. Most are never the same after it.

On 07/07/2018 at 7:42 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

So sad.

Jim Morrisons old man was an Admiral in the Navy.  Like really high ranking.  He was present when the war was declared.  Get on that eh, a mad-head like Morrison.