In defence of Chinese Democracy: Guns N' Roses' misunderstood gem

Edward Nygma

It's interesting to read Sorry being characterized as a "western waltz." And its not untrue. I think that observation really captures what this album is. It's deceptively true to Axl's roots in the mid west and all of Guns influences, while transforming those influences so much that they seem new, or even futuristic. It's letting those traditional forms live and breath in the present. I'd say that's more true to those forms then just doing a retro-nostalgic recreation of what those forms sounded like in a bygone era.

Does this album really need a defence of any kind? It's been poured over, dissected and analysed to within an inch of its life, for the last 20 fucking years. I like the record and all, but it's been discussed to death and is quite frankly a rather dull topic of conversation these days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Does this album really need a defence of any kind? It's been poured over, dissected and analysed to within an inch of its life, for the last 20 fucking years. I like the record and all, but it's been discussed to death and is quite frankly a rather dull topic of conversation these days.

Also, it's not a GNR record...

:smiley-confused2:

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Well, it is. Facts are more important than opinions. 

Bait taken, great.

No, because Axl commandeered the rights to the name, does not make CD a GNR album. Guns N' Roses was a blues based, punk infused hard rock band. CD has very little of that. It's a pretty solid album, but it's not the music of Guns N' Roses. It's the music of Axl and a circus of talented musicians who shuffled in and out over a 10 year period.