The 6 Nations thread.

spunko12345

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

You have to get through the Springboks. That little de Klerk guy who plays for the springboks. Looks like a 1980s rocker. I saw him play for Sale this year v Falcons.  

Not a problem. It doesn't matter whose in front of us now as It's destiny for Wales to beat England in the World cup final. I might give up watching rugby altogether if that happened, it would be impossible to top it. 

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Brutal game of anti-Rugby really, endless aerial bombardments and mauls. Still riveting but lacked the excitement of yesterday. Think England will beat Springboks. 

I think England will beat them without too many problems and joking aside I hope they do.

As the tournemant has rumbled on they have been stand out best side and you have to say Eddie Jones has timed them peaking to perfection.

I grew up watching the likes of Austin Healey, Matt Dawson, Lawrence Dallagio with the smug prick Sir Clive in charge so it was easy to hate them, but I like this side a lot. Power, pace and so clinical is a deadly combo. England will win by 10 in the final.

Did I mention my grandad was a cockney? As English as they come.

Anyway where was i? "Aand did those feeeeeet in ancient tiiiiime..."

5 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

I think England will beat them without too many problems and joking aside I hope they do.

As the tournemant has rumbled on they have been stand out best side and you have to say Eddie Jones has timed them peaking to perfection.

I grew up watching the likes of Austin Healey, Matt Dawson, Lawrence Dallagio with the smug prick Sir Clive in charge so it was easy to hate them, but I like this side a lot. Power, pace and so clinical is a deadly combo. England will win by 10 in the final.

Did I mention my grandad was a cockney? As English as they come.

Anyway where was i? "Aand did those feeeeeet in ancient tiiiiime..."

If they were France people would be using the term ''beautiful'' to describe those silky passes, but as they are England I don't suppose anybody will ever use that term. As much as I worship at the alter of the 2003 team they played in a ugly manner, Jason Robinson aside; this England play a far more attractive brand of Rugby.

I'm supposed to have a tiny bit of Welsh in my family, paternal grandmother's side. I was actually rooting for the Welsh, enough that I was screaming at the telly. I think it would have been magical, a Welsh/English final. 

It’s taken me till now to get this out minus a retching feeling in my stomach.

Congratulations to England on a top performance against NZ. From the first minute you were aggressive and quick. I didn’t think it could be sustained for the 80-85 mins you needed it for, but you did. A brilliant physical performance. You did everything Ireland failed to do.

It will take me 6 months to congratulate you if you win the World Cup

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

The more I think about it the more this looks like a comfortable England win. England are the only side who can match them physically. They have a great kicking game but England have that aswell. I can't see any area where SA can dominate England.

Springboks will be wanting to slow down play and turn it into a hooray for tolerance!rdly affair, based on resetting scrums and drawing penalties. England will desire an open game. 

2 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

This is gonna get painful.

Couldn't be arsed to watch it. I see the Kiwis are in front. 

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Couldn't be arsed to watch it. I see the Kiwis are in front. 

Very much so.

These 3/4 place games are a shit idea. No appetite for them from the fans or players. I'm sure both teams just wanted to get the fuck out of there as soon as they both lost their semi finals not hang around for another week. It's a knock out rugby. Get knocked out, have a few beers back at the hotel and get going the next day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Very much so.

These 3/4 place games are a shit idea. No appetite for them from the fans or players. I'm sure both teams just wanted to get the fuck out of there as soon as they both lost their semi finals not hang around for another week. It's a knock out rugby. Get knocked out, have a few beers back at the hotel and get going the next day.

I agree. Wales missed a trick there by not pissing the Kiwis off during the Haka. Take the 2k hit but win the match. Worked for England.

Speaking of Wales Alwyn Jones turned up during the adverts flogging Dove soap!!

I can do a good impression of Nigel Owens: ''yoooo-sit tooooo''. 

PS

Think Wales were over-achieved in this World Cup. Probably peaked a bit early, in the Grand Slam. France should've really beaten them, although true they were competitive against the Springboks. England, New Zealand, Springboks and Japan - in that order - best in competition (doesn't mean England of course will win tomorrow). England v New Zealand should've been the final really.

Edited by DieselDaisy

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I agree. Wales missed a trick there by not pissing the Kiwis off during the Haka. Take the 2k hit but win the match. Worked for England.

Speaking of Wales Alwyn Jones turned up during the adverts flogging Dove soap!!

I can do a good impression of Nigel Owens: ''yoooo-sit tooooo''. 

PS

Think Wales were over-achieved in this World Cup. Probably peaked a bit early, in the Grand Slam. France should've really beaten them, although true they were competitive against the Springboks. England, New Zealand, Springboks and Japan - in that order - best in competition (doesn't mean England of course will win tomorrow). England v New Zealand should've been the final really.

Wales are in an interesting place in that there is a competitive national side but the domestic game is a complete shamples.

It has been for years. Basically when I was a kid you had a league of Welsh teams with promotion and relegation. The main teams being Cardiff RFC, Llanelli RFC, Newport RFC, Swansea RFC, Pontypridd RFC, Bridgend RFC, Ebbw Vale RFC. Loads of history and local rivalry (Cardiff v Newport 5 miles between them played each other every boxing day every single year and there was always 2 or three punch ups). 

This engaged the Welsh public and the clubs were accessible, you could go and watch Newport against Swansea and then go into the club house afterwards and see a few internationals milling about.

Now we have Regional sides. The smaller clubs were all swallowed up by the bigger regions so we now have. The Blues, The Scarlets, The Ospreys, The Dragons playing against each other and a load of Irish regions. Complete made up bullshit. Asking the fans of those smaller clubs like Pontypool who have a huge history to forget their team ever existed and now support something called The Gwent Dragons which consist of teams who were your rivals a few years ago. Total fuck up.

Edited by spunko12345

1 minute ago, spunko12345 said:

Wales are in an interesting place in that their is a competitive national side but the domestic game is a complete shamples.

It has been for years. Basically when I was a kid you had a league of Welsh teams with promotion and relegation. The main teams being Cardiff RFC, Llanelli RFC, Newport RFC, Swansea RFC, Pontypridd RFC, Bridgend RFC, Ebbw Vale RFC. Loads of history and local rivalry (Cardiff v Newport 5 miles between them played each other every boxing day every single year and there was always 2 or three punch ups). 

This engaged the Welsh public and the clubs were accessible, you could go and watch Newport against Swansea and then go into the club house afterwards and see a few internationals milling about.

Now we have Regional sides. The smaller clubs were all swallowed up by the bigger regions so we now have. The Blues, The Scarlets, The Ospreys, The Dragons playing against each other and a load of Irish regions. Complete made up bullshit. Asking the fans of those smaller clubs like Pontypool who have a huge history to forget their team ever existed and now support something called The Gwent Dragons which consist of teams who were your rivals a few years ago. Total fuck up.

Do the old teams not still exist as amateur feeder sides?

Sounds like the way cricket is heading (and indeed a lot of cricket pundits have mentioned the balls-up with Welsh Rugby).

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Do the old teams not still exist as amateur feeder sides?

Sounds like the way cricket is heading (and indeed a lot of cricket pundits have mentioned the balls-up with Welsh Rugby).

Yeah the old clubs do still technically exist but strictly within the regions. They play each other in a completely devalued league. Some die hards still prop it up but it's basically dead. 

They exist in the same way that a good school or university side still play in their own competitions but they are also attached to the "Region" they are in. My cousin played scrum half for literally a village type side, did well and had "Dragons" people sniffing about. 

9 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Yeah the old clubs do still technically exist but strictly within the regions. They play each other in a completely devalued league. Some die hards still prop it up but it's basically dead. 

They exist in the same way that a good school or university side still play in their own competitions but they are also attached to the "Region" they are in. My cousin played scrum half for literally a village type side, did well and had "Dragons" people sniffing about. 

Has there been a huge drop-off in attendances since the big super regions were formed, diehard supporters of the old clubs going ''bugger off'' (and being accused of being curmudgeons resisting progress)? Did it create a bit of a civil war in Welsh Rugby between supporters of the old team and those willing to support the Dragons and Scarlets, etc?

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Has there been a huge drop-off in attendances since the big super regions were formed, diehard supporters of the old clubs going ''bugger off'' (and being accused of being curmudgeons resisting progress)? Did it create a bit of a civil war in Welsh Rugby between supporters of the old team and those willing to support the Dragons and Scarlets, etc?

Definately. Using my club Newport as an example the three main clubs in the Gwent region are Newport, Pontypool and Ebbw Vale. Newport being the bigger place with thd biggest ground Rodney Parade naturally got the bigger crowds but the others would get healthy attendances. When they were swallowed up into the Dragons and asked to start going to watch games at Rodney Parade they basically wouldn't do it. The die yards would still go watch Ebbw Vale and Pontypool in their old traditional kits etc but the thing is their best players were now Dragons players so they were essentially just watching very low standard reserve stuff in a competition that had no marketing behind it so had no hope of attracting new fans.

Stick a top class rugby team in Cardiff, Newport, Swansea, Llanelli and people will go no matter what they're called, Dragons attendances are comparable with what Newport attendances were but Ebbw Valy,Ponty, Bridgend, Dunvant and dozens of smaller sides out of the way in the Valleys type areas are massively down so those are the fans that have been lost. Sad because they were proper fans not the 800000 who turn up at the millennium stadium 5 times a year in their stupid pink cowboy hats pissed as farts.

The region's have undoubtedly benefited the national side as in the last 20 years Wales have won multiple grand slams and had the most success since the 70s. The argument being (and its true to a certain extent) that less teams i.e 4 regions playing each other and the best Irish regions make for higher quality more intense competition with no easy games. At a cost though that it has more or less killed club rugby in Wales. Proper club rugby I mean.

Edited by spunko12345

No scrum, no world cup. South Africa set up exactly how everybody - myself included - predicted, so there should have been no surprise. 

Bit brainless really. They had one moment where they put together 25 passes in first half on the Springbok line, it was England's only genuine great piece of play so you shouldn't have missed it, and then they just long-threw it out to the right flank, trying to catch out Watson and it all broke down. They would have almost certainly got the try or forced a pen if they persevered. 

PS

Ben Stokes should have played. We'd have won it then.

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 3 months later...

Cracking weekend of fixtures. Ireland v Wales and Scotland v England. Both should be great games.

Wales have got a good record in Dublin and I just think we are a much better team than Ireland at the moment, lots of good young players mixed with some world class experienced players. Ireland are rebuilding.

Scotland always find an extra level against England and with it being In Edinburgh I reckon it's going to be a great game. I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland win.

50 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Cracking weekend of fixtures. Ireland v Wales and Scotland v England. Both should be great games.

Wales have got a good record in Dublin and I just think we are a much better team than Ireland at the moment, lots of good young players mixed with some world class experienced players. Ireland are rebuilding.

Scotland always find an extra level against England and with it being In Edinburgh I reckon it's going to be a great game. I wouldn't be surprised if Scotland win.

I would bet money on Scotland winning after last week's French fiasco.

Wales have to be favourites for the Slam. 

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I would bet money on Scotland winning after last week's French fiasco.

Wales have to be favourites for the Slam. 

Scotland and England both look rotten this year, the taffs look better than the rest.

We looked a decent team 2 years ago and then Townsend took over and we've gone backwards.

Edited by BrayWyatt