Better song: Coma or Locomotive

Better song: Coma or Locomotive  

334 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I would like to know too. Guess he just didnt care enough? He didnt play in Coma either, right?

there is shit loads of songs Iz wasn't involved with, choose one -

1) they were recorded after Chicago incident when Iz left

2) Iz didn't want

3) band didn't want him to

4) Slash could had done it better than Iz

Remember Iz amps were silenced during UYI tour by the band too

29 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

there is shit loads of songs Iz wasn't involved with, choose one -

1) they were recorded after Chicago incident when Iz left

2) Iz didn't want

3) band didn't want him to

4) Slash could had done it better than Iz

Remember Iz amps were silenced during UYI tour by the band too

I dont remember much about when Izzy left or what was the last straw. But I think Izzy was still in the band when the Illusions got released.

Slash said before that he had rerecord some of Izzy's layers because it didnt sound good (due to his boredom with the whole band etc) or something like that. 

On 18. 10. 2019. at 8:46 PM, Voodoochild said:

I dont remember much about when Izzy left or what was the last straw. But I think Izzy was still in the band when the Illusions got released.

Slash said before that he had rerecord some of Izzy's layers because it didnt sound good (due to his boredom with the whole band etc) or something like that. 

absolutely last - Mannheim ;)

• Like 2

Cant pick. Both awesome! To me both songs' pros and cons come down to the Axl and Slash egomania.

Coma

Slash - Only our beloved, elegantly wasted, topless and strutting with back arched like a peacock version of Slash would think that his power chord chugging is so interesting on its own (that middle section). He plays it with a pretence as if with every generic chord change the worlds philosophers shall confer in real time about that chord-changes meaning to the universe.

Axl - Very personal and raw. And also the opposite... Contrived and and theatrical. With GNR theres the sense of 'the band' and 'Axl.' To my ears Axl is able to push through his paranoia and need for control - this songs structure pushes him to the brink. And in the end he finds a snapshot of freedom where he runs with the pack. Axl and the band are one for that outro.

Locomotive

Slash - Fucking nails this song. The first solo is so casual and affirms itself as a mere snippet in the larger beast. The outro is our glimpse into that dragon Slash chased. Its so real.

Axl - Over indulgent but still awesome. Some cheap rhymes officially become the norm when they are used so liberally in an epic such as this. But it sums up Axls UYI conceit perfectly. Unfortunately that means sonically as well. Axls ego drives him to steal all the frequencies from what would be a rumbling and mighty slice of rock n roll power during the chorus. A chorus where he's sharing his toxic views on his relationship as if its a WWF rant.

The outro takes us to Axls upside down world - its connected to the band and he's playing off them, but his ad-libs are already categorically his own and 'on top of' the band. Only he and Slashs weeping guitar can make contact in the upside down.

• Like 2

Well given that I have no major love for Coma, Locomotive is the clear winner! Love the groove of Locomotive, it has a better riff, better solos, better vocal line; for me Coma is half baked.... but somehow it's one their longest songs and loads of hardcore fans get all hot n' flustered when they play it :D 

• Like 2

On 18/10/2019 at 6:48 PM, Voodoochild said:

I would like to know too. Guess he just didnt care enough? He didnt play in Coma either, right?

I thought he did, but Slash wanted him to come back in overdub the guitars for a thicker sound and he didn't want to so Slash layered it himself. He talks about it in his book (not necessarily about Coma, Locomotive). Basically said, Izzy was happy with putting the recordings of his guitar that he made at home on the record. 

• Like 2

Speaking purely based on studio versions here: This was a hell of a tough choice, but I went with Coma. The song is close to perfection in my ears, and the ending minutes are just insane! Every time i play it for someone I tell them to listen for pauses where Axl actually has time to breathe. It’s studio, but the performance is amazing.

Locomotive makes me hyped as fuck though. It’s impossible to follow speed limits when that song plays in the car.