The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

16 hours ago, Axl S said:

Just a description of the music that matches what we heard in the 2019 leak. Ironically, Leeds was sp1at's source for that info and he spoke to Zutaut extensively for his 2005 article about CD... wonder how Leeds got to hear Zodiac ;)

Good catch. Your probably right

I havent had chance to read through everyones reaction to this yet but i take this as a good thing. (if it happens) This basically says that when ( i assume if) they do a new album it wont have absurd Hardschool and these 4 other newgnr tracks on. which means room on an album for 6 new songs.

gotta say though with this band while I completely see Atlas ect coming out that a new album seems more unlikely to actually happen. Hope im wrong

44 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I can almost see this as being Slash’s passive aggressive way of sending a message to Axl that he’s tired of the same old same old. The reunion was met with pretty much a media blackout in 2016, as the band feels that much of the animosity between Axl and Slash was brought on by the press (this, of course, is nonsense, but it’s what people do when they want to reconcile without actually owning up to their respective faults - blame a third party, especially something as nebulous as ‘the media.’)

Now Slash is saying he wants to make a new Guns record, which I’m sure Axl is just thrilled to hear.

Slash's interviews in late last year and early this year, where he explicitly said that the band hadn't worked on any new-new music, were met with a lot of negative comments from both the press and the fans. If those comments didn't cause any issues with Axl, then this interview certainly won't. And, like I said earlier, I don't think Slash would allude to a timeline if he hadn't discussed it with Axl. Axl himself said in China Exchange that he would be open to write something new (in addition to rehashing CD era tracks).

Axl also said in the Brazilian TV interview that there had been plans for "promo stuff" before the reunion tour started, but they didn't do that because some "things happened". I suppose his cancelled Jimmy Kimmel appearance was part of that "promo stuff", maybe they intended to do a press conference as well. Who knows what those "things" were. If I were to guess, it was the rumours and dubious "insider" stuff about how the "loot" was split etc., and they wouldn't want to be confronted with that. But it does seem that blaming the breakup on third parties made reconciliation easier, with the "third parties" being not the media so much, but mainly Doug Goldstein and other people from the then entourage.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Grayfox said:

Heck it could be the ones we know were redone. Then the ones we haven’t heard are going to be refashioned and claimed as “new”.  There could be any amount of misdirection. I trust they have music coming at some point. But I don’t trust them not to call old songs new. 

Might be a bit of a give away when the writing credits show Tobias Fink ect. I dont really see slash claiming to have written Tobias's guitar parts

I think a lot of this stems back to the reality that there are far less completed CD era tracks than we were led to believe, for one reason or another. It could be Axl just decided to abandon many of those tracks since he just couldn’t figure out what to do with them artistically.

It also seems more likely that whatever tracks have been reworked with the addition of Slash and Duff (now it’s funny Slash cannot come up with a number, which points to that number being something comedically low) will likely surface before the next USA tour bringing us closer to next summer (there’s 2 months left in 2022).

1 hour ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I can almost see this as being Slash’s passive aggressive way of sending a message to Axl that he’s tired of the same old same old. The reunion was met with pretty much a media blackout in 2016, as the band feels that much of the animosity between Axl and Slash was brought on by the press (this, of course, is nonsense, but it’s what people do when they want to reconcile without actually owning up to their respective faults - blame a third party, especially something as nebulous as ‘the media.’)

Now Slash is saying he wants to make a new Guns record, which I’m sure Axl is just thrilled to hear.

3 years ago this interview would have me excited. Now, it’s clear this is Slash’s way of saying “Listen, I get it. I want new music out too. It ain’t my fault.” while also sending a message to Axl and management that he, too, is expecting them to release the Chi Dem era songs he worked on.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Axl also said in the Brazilian TV interview that there had been plans for "promo stuff" before the reunion tour started, but they didn't do that because some "things happened". I suppose his cancelled Jimmy Kimmel appearance was part of that "promo stuff", maybe they intended to do a press conference as well. Who knows what those "things" were. If I were to guess, it was the rumours and dubious "insider" stuff about how the "loot" was split etc., and they wouldn't want to be confronted with that. But it does seem that blaming the breakup on third parties made reconciliation easier, with the "third parties" being not the media so much, but mainly Doug Goldstein and other people from the then entourage.

I never knew about this, do you have any more info about this?

God, it would be so cool to have Axl in a show like Kimmel, or even "My next guest needs no introduction".

10 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't think Slash would allude to a timeline if he hadn't discussed it with Axl.

This is where I disagree.

Slash seems only slightly more clued-in than someone like Frank or Richard. It wouldn't shock me at all if the only serious discussions the band has with Axl (regarding the future of the band) are around scheduling dates. "Hey, we want to book European stadiums in the summer, what's that look like for you?" "I'm free." "Okay, great - Fernando will iron out the details and send an itinerary."

Or even "hey, we want to re-record some stuff I've been sitting on for years. Here are the tracks. Can you and Duff work something out and then come to my house sometime next month to record?" "Sure."

Slash talks about the band's future plans as if he's sharing a conversation he overheard between Axl and management - not as if he himself is in on the decision making.

It's all "I think," "I guess," "probably," "maybe," "soon," "the next couple months."

Slash and Duff are no longer decision makers in this band, and haven't been since the mid-90s. They're happy to play shows and have a good relationship with their old friend Axl. But when it comes to the future of the band - especially with regards to new music (or lack thereof) - it's Axl is the captain of the yacht. Slash is just on the boat.

9 minutes ago, Spoon87 said:

I never knew about this, do you have any more info about this?

God, it would be so cool to have Axl in a show like Kimmel, or even "My next guest needs no introduction".

Axl has been on Kimmel before, but that was back in 2012.

I believe the band was supposed to reunite on Kimmel to announce their reunion, but it got scrapped with no explanation.

Edited by GoodOlJohnnyK

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash's interviews in late last year and early this year, where he explicitly said that the band hadn't worked on any new-new music, were met with a lot of negative comments from both the press and the fans. If those comments didn't cause any issues with Axl, then this interview certainly won't. And, like I said earlier, I don't think Slash would allude to a timeline if he hadn't discussed it with Axl. Axl himself said in China Exchange that he would be open to write something new (in addition to rehashing CD era tracks).

"Some things" always happen in the GNR world and as we can see by the years gone by none of them were important or relevant to the point of the releasing a song or a CD.

This is just "we have nothing, let's tease to keep interest and milk it to a pulp."

Axl is a superb business man.

If they had any idea when the hell the next couple tracks were coming, Slash would not have said “Within the next few months or something like that.” He has no fucking idea what Axl’s waiting for just like the rest of us. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Slash seems only slightly more clued-in than someone like Frank or Richard. It wouldn't shock me at all if the only serious discussions the band has with Axl (regarding the future of the band) are around scheduling dates. "Hey, we want to book European stadiums in the summer, what's that look like for you?" "I'm free." "Okay, great - Fernando will iron out the details and send an itinerary."

Or even "hey, we want to re-record some stuff I've been sitting on for years. Here are the tracks. Can you and Duff work something out and then come to my house sometime next month to record?" "Sure."

Slash talks about the band's future plans as if he's sharing a conversation he overheard between Axl and management - not as if he himself is in on the decision making.

It's all "I think," "I guess," "probably," "maybe," "soon," "the next couple months."

Slash and Duff are no longer decision makers in this band, and haven't been since the mid-90s. They're happy to play shows and have a good relationship with their old friend Axl. But when it comes to the future of the band - especially with regards to new music (or lack thereof) - it's Axl is the captain of the yacht. Slash is just on the boat.

I don't think there's any doubt that the decisions about making and releasing music depend on how Axl feels about it (and it has been that way not since the mid-, but since the early 90s.

However, I don't think that Slash, at this point, would risk ruining his good relationship with Axl (hence the reunion business) by publicly saying something that hasn't been discussed between them.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I think he talks out of pure logic.

"Well, if the tour is gonna have a definite end" what's the logic thing to do? Record an album.

"Well, if we are going for the third run, (fourth run in Mexico) and we don't have a record, but songs sitting there, by me, Axl and duff, whats the logic think to do? Let's release them to keep interest.

"How long it takes to release something? With all the aprovals, mixing, promo, interviews, maybe two, three show to warm up interest, whats the logic time frame? A fucking couple months!

Axl doesn't get bother because it keeps interest while he doesn't need to do nothing, not even say a word. So what's the logic thing to do? Keep quiet and let others worry.

Unless someone leaks the songs or some of the members say name of the songs or records.

This will countinue on and on until a farewell is announced with a 4 show stint at the FORUM with the five Alumini and only a mediocre song trying to emulate NIGHTTRAIN (plus Perhaps and Atlas).

I bet $50 in that.

24 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

While I agree Slash doesn't call the shots, I view terms like "I think" "probably" "maybe" as fail-safes if/when the new material doesn't come out. If he definitively states "the next single comes out October 29th, get excited everyone!" and then Axl decides to pull the plug for Axl reasons, then Slash can say "see? It was only a probably anyways. Plans changed."

I doubt Slash and Duff wouldn't have a theoretical timeline for when these releases would happen. They hold slightly more weight than Richard and Frank likely wouldn't put up with this shit from Axl, especially given their history. Right now, in their minds, its all a "maybe" because it may never materialize because of Axl, and that's why they have to be careful with what they say. The fact Slash has mentioned this in 2, 3 interviews consistently and has been right about the UYI box likely means that it will surface eventually. At least in my opinion. As one man once said though, "I can't say soon is the word."

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Legendador said:

"Well, if we are going for the third run, (fourth run in Mexico) and we don't have a record, but songs sitting there, by me, Axl and duff, whats the logic think to do? Let's release them to keep interest.

Ironically, that's Axl's state of mind. Only it's not for new music written with Slash - it's for Atlas and SoG and Perhaps and whatever else he may have laying around. That's all they're for. They're promotional tools to put out. Is the world going to care? No. But they'll get aggregated on the news feeds and social media accounts of people who will check the articles out, see that there's a tour date nearby, and perhaps buy a ticket. That's it.

14 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

If they had any idea when the hell the next couple tracks were coming, Slash would not have said “Within the next few months or something like that.” He has no fucking idea what Axl’s waiting for just like the rest of us. 

This times x1000.

There is nothing to wait for. No one knows what mindtrip Axl is on. The tracks have been completed since lockdown and and it's almost 2023 now with them having done multiple legs without releasing them haha. I assume Slash also thought they would have started coming out in June, now it's almost November and still nothing lol.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 minute ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

Ironically, that's Axl's state of mind. Only it's not for new music written with Slash - it's for Atlas and SoG and Perhaps and whatever else he may have laying around. That's all they're for. They're promotional tools to put out. Is the world going to care? No. But they'll get aggregated on the news feeds and social media accounts of people who will check the articles out, see that there's a tour date nearby, and perhaps buy a ticket. That's it.

But do you agree that they only have 3 songs worth of material and not 4 albuns like sebastian bach said?

Also that "The General" is just a myth name, for a myth song? Like "machine gun"?

1 minute ago, Legendador said:

But do you agree that they only have 3 songs worth of material and not 4 albuns like sebastian bach said?

Also that "The General" is just a myth name, for a myth song? Like "machine gun"?

Axl confirmed The General is a real song when he confirmed which titles were bogus and which ones were not.

1 hour ago, Zeppelin said:

But this forum had me convinced that Use Your Illusion III was going to accompany the boxset next month. What the fuck?

But seriously, we'll get 2 "new" songs in the next year, they'll tour, and then the recording of a new album will never happen. Ever. I know people want to be excited about this, and I really want it to happen, but it's not going to happen. Slash saying, "Hey, well, I want to record a new GNR record" carries the same amount of weight as people on this forum saying they want them to record a new album.

If a brand new GNR album comes out in 2035, I'll gladly admit I was wrong. Until then, I'm pretty convinced that the leftovers are all we're going to hear from this lineup. Still going to be fun to hear those tunes, no doubt about that. But I'm not expecting one brand new note of GNR music.

This is the most likely outcome. 

That "new album" will be mentioned from time to time with lots of "maybe, soon, hopefully"' until the end. 

I bet Slash is REALLY fed up with all the bullshit at this point and the only way to stay sane and keep the money flowing is to not give a fuck. 

This interview sounds just like that if you read between the lines, imo.

5 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

This is the most likely outcome. 

That "new album" will be mentioned from time to time with lots of "maybe, soon, hopefully"' until the end. 

I bet Slash is REALLY fed up with all the bullshit at this point and the only way to stay sane and keep the money flowing is to not give a fuck. 

This interview sounds just like that if you read between the lines, imo.

This interview is Slash saying "the tracks are done, I don't know what the fuck we are waiting for, but I was told they are coming out sometime" lol. And when work for a new album should start "summer 2023" they'll just book another leg and tour and nothing happens again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

It could just be the way he talks too, trying to come off as laid back and chill when he's being interviewed. There's really not a lot of use in over analyzing anything.

And I can say you're putting too much analyzing into the way he talks when what he's actually saying is more important.:lol:

Now what?