How Well Do You Think 2000 Intentions era CD Would Have Been Received?

On 22/01/2021 at 10:32 PM, Pele said:

It's an awful song.

Opens up with those horrible wails.  Then probably the worst opening lyrics in GNR history, 'But I don't give a fuck about them cause I am crazy!!"

I can't believe they actually presented this as a serious piece of work.

I very much agree with all this. I have never ever liked that song. At all. Those lyrics you quoted are just bloody awful, to me anyway.

On Rhiad, Axl set out to write a song about his former brother-in-law profiteering by smuggling weapons to global hotspots, and by the end of the first verse, he instead decided to write about his own mental health, once again. 

Maybe we got the censored edition, replacement lines thrown together in a fit? Otherwise, it's a lost opportunity like SilkWorms. 

3 hours ago, denin said:

On Rhiad, Axl set out to write a song about his former brother-in-law profiteering by smuggling weapons to global hotspots, and by the end of the first verse, he instead decided to write about his own mental health, once again. 

Maybe we got the censored edition, replacement lines thrown together in a fit? Otherwise, it's a lost opportunity like SilkWorms. 

Yeah the notes he wrote about the song don't match the actual song.

The notes were really interesting.  If you'd have read that prior to hearing the song you'd be pretty excited to hear it.

On 1/22/2021 at 3:43 AM, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

That’s why I think an industrial/heavy album would have worked well. People would have said “they’ve moved with the times” and “Axl gets modern music” etc.

You can’t say that something like State Of Grace wouldn’t hold with songs like Spiders by System Of A Down and the other similar bands. 

Yes, I can. Because I was around then and experienced the reaction that followed every single time I even mentioned Guns N Roses. To kids at the time, GNR was dad rock and ancient history. There was no way Axl was ever going to reinvent the wheel and tour with Korn or end up having an Aerosmith Get a Grip resurrection with the youth of that era. It just wasn't going to happen.

The only way GNR would have been successful would have been if they'd stayed together in the first place and gone down the Rolling Stones rout and kept releasing classic rock for fans of a certain age (hint: not young).

Edited by Nintari

On 01/02/2021 at 10:19 AM, Nintari said:

Yes, I can. Because I was around then and experienced the reaction that followed every single time I even mentioned Guns N Roses. To kids at the time, GNR was dad rock and ancient history. There was no way Axl was ever going to reinvent the wheel and tour with Korn or end up having an Aerosmith Get a Grip resurrection with the youth of that era. It just wasn't going to happen.

The only way GNR would have been successful would have been if they'd stayed together in the first place and gone down the Rolling Stones rout and kept releasing classic rock for fans of a certain age (hint: not young).

Aye, you're right there. I remember Oh My God coming out and playing it to the lads at school who were all old GNR fans. Apart from me and one other dude, everybody thought it was dreadful and laughed! To this day, I genuinely still like that song! 

For some reason I seem to remember a lot of people commenting on the fact the nu-GNR had 3 guitarists and a big deal being made of it. Comments like: "Axl needed 2 guitarists to replace Slash" and so on. I always couldn't understand the 2 keyboard players when the set 2001 set was mainly AFD! 

Also, finally the cornrows really didn't help. At all. My memory from school at the time was that GNR was seen as a total joke and it used to piss me off to fuck! But then again I was supposed to see them two or three in Glasgow in early naughties and it was cancelled on each occassion. By 2003 I had stopped caring and it was only when I came across the leaks online in 2007 that I paid attention again. For a bit. But all my friends had long since checked out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Aye, you're right there. I remember Oh My God coming out and playing it to the lads at school who were all old GNR fans. Apart from me and one other dude, everybody thought it was dreadful and laughed! To this day, I genuinely still like that song! 

For some reason I seem to remember a lot of people commenting on the fact the nu-GNR had 3 guitarists and a big deal being made of it. Comments like: "Axl needed 2 guitarists to replace Slash" and so on. I always couldn't understand the 2 keyboard players when the set 2001 set was mainly AFD! 

Also, finally the cornrows really didn't help. At all. My memory from school at the time was that GNR was seen as a total joke and it used to piss me off to fuck! But then again I was supposed to see them two or three in Glasgow in early naughties and it was cancelled on each occassion. By 2003 I had stopped caring and it was only when I came across the leaks online in 2007 that I paid attention again. For a bit. But all my friends had long since checked out.

Never understood why Oh My God didn't take off as a hit .. It's a kickass tune with some menacing vocals and really cool guitar parts ... The hook is great the chorus even better .. I could see it being popular even today with our current state of stale rock music ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Never understood why Oh My God didn't take off as a hit .. It's a kickass tune with some menacing vocals and really cool guitar parts ... The hook is great the chorus even better .. I could see it being popular even today with our current state of stale rock music ..

Yep really like it myself. But it is too far removed from the sound GNR was known for  previously. Generally comes back to the "had this been released as an Axl Rose album it would've been better recieved" discussion.

• Like 2