Cornshucker

Seems unlikely to me that Duff didn't have at least some familiarity with the Mentors song. The title is taken from it and the chorus has heavy similarities.

Beyond that the GNR song is completely different so can't be called a cover.

Love how they're clearly having a great time when they made that demo.

• Like 1

I interviewed Duff in 2009 and I asked him about this song. His mind was blank at first and I had to quote him some of the lyrics to  remind him.

He said the song was a tongue in cheek tribute to The Mentors. Basically he took the "cornshucker a real buttfucker" line from the Mentors and came up with those Mentors-style lyrics, so it's not really a cover.

An additional interesting detail is then mentioned in his first book, as he says that right after he moved to L.A. he got a call from one of the Mentors (Sickie Wifebeater if I remember correctly), who asked him to join the band and he turned the offer down. Mentors had moved from Seattle to L.A. too at that point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Twinaleblood said:

I interviewed Duff in 2009 and I asked him about this song. His mind was blank at first and I had to quote him some of the lyrics to  remind him.

He said the song was a tongue in cheek tribute to The Mentors. Basically he took the "cornshucker a real buttfucker" line from the Mentors and came up with those Mentors-style lyrics, so it's not really a cover.

An additional interesting detail is then mentioned in his first book, as he says that right after he moved to L.A. he got a call from one of the Mentors (Sickie Wifebeater if I remember correctly), who asked him to join the band and he turned the offer down. Mentors had moved from Seattle to L.A. too at that point.

Where can I find this interview?

37 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Where can I find this interview?

A good part of it was printed (translated to Italian) on an Italian magazine called Classix Metal. Duff was promoting Loaded's Sick at the time. Some time ago I talked about this with @blackstar : I'm going to retrieve the original audio files of the interview so you can use the whole version of it for the a-4-d archive 🙂

I'm pretty sure I still have it in some old data backups.

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Twinaleblood said:

A good part of it was printed (translated to Italian) on an Italian magazine called Classix Metal. Duff was promoting Loaded's Sick at the time. Some time ago I talked about this with @blackstar: I'm going to retrieve the original audio files of the interview so you can use the whole version of it for the a-4-d archive 🙂

I'm pretty sure I still have it in some old data backups.

Oh, that would be great! 

Coincidentally, I was just looking into Cornshucker yesterday but couldn't find any band members having talked about this song prior to 2010, so I got excited when reading that Duff had talked about it in 2009.

10 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Oh, that would be great! 

Coincidentally, I was just looking into Cornshucker yesterday but couldn't find any band members having talked about this song prior to 2010, so I got excited when reading that Duff had talked about it in 2009.

I'll try to set you up with it asap then :)

Honestly, I forgot I had already promised to retrieve the files until I saw this thread, lol.

Other things I remember he discussed: he said gnr didn't have anything left in the vaults in complete form and anything they completed had been released. Also, he mentioned having found some guy to be the new velvet revolver singer but couldn't give the name away yet. And I asked him if they had played any shows on their way back from Seattle during the hell tour (as back then some sources were still mentioning shows and there was no confirmation whether they had happened or not), and he confirmed they did not play any shows on their way back from Seattle.

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1