Is this Axl in 1999?

7 hours ago, AxlRQ93 said:

Seem no photos from 1999?

9012407601fbbdef0fea56eef2b7574b--axl-ro

39407-C91-F81-E-4-ED4-B4-F2-E78860855726
like an Axl Cobain here 🤣 

Is that little girl in the second picture a Rose  Family Member? I can swear I can see some resemblance between her and Axl. 🤔

Edited by Karice

Posted in the Wilderness Years thread that I always thought this was 1999. His face looks obviously aged but we'll never know for sure. One thing that's interesting is that there's an account that's been archived on Google from November 1999. Axl was at Universal for Halloween Horror and it was mentioned that he was with this woman who kind of matches the description of the woman in the first pic. (https://groups.google.com/g/alt.rock-n-roll.metal.gnr/c/zel4fpEmP40/m/oTVIsYUmtPQJ) The logo on the shirt is also the same between the 2 pics and almost looks like a Chevrolet logo. 

Edited by mystery

10 hours ago, mystery said:

Posted in the Wilderness Years thread that I always thought this was 1999. His face looks obviously aged but we'll never know for sure. One thing that's interesting is that there's an account that's been archived on Google from November 1999. Axl was at Universal for Halloween Horror and it was mentioned that he was with this woman who kind of matches the description of the woman in the first pic. (https://groups.google.com/g/alt.rock-n-roll.metal.gnr/c/zel4fpEmP40/m/oTVIsYUmtPQJ) The logo on the shirt is also the same between the 2 pics and almost looks like a Chevrolet logo. 

Hard to say, but it's the same hair length and same looking bandana he's wearing in other 1995 photos, not to mention the same face. Then look at the 98 mugshot. I think he would have looked differently in a 99 photo. 

Edited by jamillos

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

Hard to say, but it's the same hair length and same looking bandana he's wearing in other 1995 photos, not to mention the same face. Then look at the 98 mugshot. I think he would have looked differently in a 99 photo. 

It's pretty much inconclusive, I'm just curious where these photos came from because I remember seeing them close to 10 years ago. 1999 in general is fascinating because it's the same decade as the UYI era but the year Chinese Democracy was seriously worked on that year. It's 90's Axl technically but a very different Axl from 1993-94.

4 hours ago, mystery said:

It's pretty much inconclusive, I'm just curious where these photos came from because I remember seeing them close to 10 years ago. 1999 in general is fascinating because it's the same decade as the UYI era but the year Chinese Democracy was seriously worked on that year. It's 90's Axl technically but a very different Axl from 1993-94.

Axl has many different faces. 😏😛 Hell, even in the Welcome To The Jungle music video, he looks like FOUR different people! 😃

12 minutes ago, Karice said:

Axl has many different faces. 😏😛 Hell, even in the Welcome To The Jungle music video, he looks like FOUR different people! 😃

There's pictures of him at a guitar show from 1995 and he looks different in each one even though they were all taken the same day. The common thread between 1995/1999 is that he had similar length hair which makes the 2 years hard to tell apart.

The only conclusive evidence is if there was a picture of him with the 1999 members of the band like Robin Finck or Josh Freese. He was pretty reclusive even amongst the band back then. Brian May only occasionally saw him and Dave Navarro never actually met him in person despite playing on Oh My God.

10 hours ago, mystery said:

There's pictures of him at a guitar show from 1995 and he looks different in each one even though they were all taken the same day. The common thread between 1995/1999 is that he had similar length hair which makes the 2 years hard to tell apart.

The only conclusive evidence is if there was a picture of him with the 1999 members of the band like Robin Finck or Josh Freese. He was pretty reclusive even amongst the band back then. Brian May only occasionally saw him and Dave Navarro never actually met him in person despite playing on Oh My God.

I believe that he looked different in each picture despite it being the same day. 😏 This is the same man once again who ended up looking like 4 different People in the Welcome To The Jungle music video. 😏

16 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

WTF is he wearing on his head? Is he about to start a shift as a line cook?

Likely answer is he wore full cover bandanas from 1994 on to cover hair loss. The 1998 mugshot shows his current hairline that you can still see on shorter haired Axl on this current tour. He probably had some kind of hair restoration done before 1998 and even after that covered his hair while it grew in. Even from 2001 present I think he had problems with the way his hair grew/looked hence the braids from 2002-2007 and how different his longer hair looked in 2001/2009-2018. 

19 hours ago, mystery said:

Likely answer is he wore full cover bandanas from 1994 on to cover hair loss. The 1998 mugshot shows his current hairline that you can still see on shorter haired Axl on this current tour. He probably had some kind of hair restoration done before 1998 and even after that covered his hair while it grew in. Even from 2001 present I think he had problems with the way his hair grew/looked hence the braids from 2002-2007 and how different his longer hair looked in 2001/2009-2018. 

I remember thinking looking at pictures of Axl in the 80's with his trusty Bandanas that he was using his Bandanas to hide bald spots. I was like,"Hmm. Must have bald spots so he uses Bandanas as a "Fashion Statement," to hide his bald spots secret. 😏🤔 I was surprised to learn that he didn't have bald spots, he uses/used the Bandanas to keep his hair out of his face! 🤣 I didn't even think of the "Using Bandanas to keep his hair out of his face possibility. I just automatically assumed he was hiding bald spots.  Wow. 🤦‍♂️

37 minutes ago, mystery said:

With Axl it was probably less bald spots than his hair thinning in the front., he used to have a part in his hair that's been gone since at least 1998. Nowadays he just wears bandanas because its part of his look. 

Makes sense too that his hair could be thinning rather than bald spots. Glad to see Axl still had plenty of hair even after he chopped it into a bob. 😃 But his hair is short today looking at 2022 pictures of him  I can see Young Axl looking at Older Axl and touching his own long red hair and thinking,"Older Axl chopped our long hair into a bob, dyed it blonde, and then cut it even shorter! The asshole! " 🤣

Edited by Karice

2 hours ago, arrio said:

Axl really admired to Kurt Cobain secretly, haircut ,started playing the guitar....pretty ovbious 

I swear in a clip of Axl ranting about Child abuse at a GNR concert, seeming like he was having a damn mental breakdown, he was giving off Kurt Cobain vibes. It was uncanny and eerie, but he definitely seemed to be embodying Kurt there. That clip was weird. Axl embodying Kurt Cobain, Axl's random rant about child abuse, the audience cheering when it seemed like Axl was having a mental breakdown on stage. Example "My Stepdad punched me in the face everyday when I was a child and my Mother just stood there and let him do that!" Audience was cheering wildly. It was creepy and disturbing. There honestly should have been shocked and concerned gasps, not wild cheering. 😕

Edited by Karice

On 10/23/2022 at 5:12 AM, Karice said:

I swear in a clip of Axl ranting about Child abuse at a GNR concert, seeming like he was having a damn mental breakdown, he was giving off Kurt Cobain vibes. It was uncanny and eerie, but he definitely seemed to be embodying Kurt there. That clip was weird. Axl embodying Kurt Cobain, Axl's random rant about child abuse, the audience cheering when it seemed like Axl was having a mental breakdown on stage. Example "My Stepdad punched me in the face everyday when I was a child and my Mother just stood there and let him do that!" Audience was cheering wildly. It was creepy and disturbing. There honestly should have been shocked and concerned gasps, not wild cheering. 😕

🤨🥴

On 10/21/2022 at 2:26 PM, mystery said:

I don’t think so. 1997 roller coaster pic shows his hair looking intact

On 10/23/2022 at 5:12 AM, Karice said:

That’s similar to when Britney Spears had a breakdown and shaved her head and Craig Ferguson on the late show wasn’t making fun of her, which he said in his book I think that because he didn’t want to make fun of her was was worried he’d get fired(which doesn’t reflect well of TV execs), and he spoke about his own battles with drink and how he had planned to end his own life in London in 1992, and the audience were laughing. It’s a weird thing.

Edited by IrishgunnerII

9 hours ago, AxlRQ93 said:

I don’t think so. 1997 roller coaster pic shows his hair looking intact

I doubt he was wearing hats/bandanas 24/7 but he wore them a lot in the few pictures that have surfaced from that time. Riding a rollercoaster might be one of the few times he'd take a head covering off. Outside of that when he was arrested in 1998 he was wearing a hat he had to take off and later in the year when he took a picture with a fan he was wearing a bandana while working out. He wore them a lot publicly until 2000 when his hair grew shoulder length again, you can see this in the pictures of him with Gilby and most of the 2001 pictures. 

9 hours ago, mystery said:

I doubt he was wearing hats/bandanas 24/7 but he wore them a lot in the few pictures that have surfaced from that time. Riding a rollercoaster might be one of the few times he'd take a head covering off. Outside of that when he was arrested in 1998 he was wearing a hat he had to take off and later in the year when he took a picture with a fan he was wearing a bandana while working out. He wore them a lot publicly until 2000 when his hair grew shoulder length again, you can see this in the pictures of him with Gilby and most of the 2001 pictures. 

Its possible that instead of there actually being a genuine issue with his hair (surgery or loss), that he was self conscious about there possibly being one. Erin testified he had become very vain and obsessive about his teeth, nails and hair while they were together. Taking tons of vitamins and doing facial herbal wraps and stuff like that. He said he was taking like 28 different vitamins. Maybe he saw an issue that wasn’t really there and felt self conscious 

1 hour ago, AxlRQ93 said:

Its possible that instead of there actually being a genuine issue with his hair (surgery or loss), that he was self conscious about there possibly being one. Erin testified he had become very vain and obsessive about his teeth, nails and hair while they were together. Taking tons of vitamins and doing facial herbal wraps and stuff like that. He said he was taking like 28 different vitamins. Maybe he saw an issue that wasn’t really there and felt self conscious 

It's a question we'll likely never know the answer to but can try to piece together through various pictures and accounts. This is basically the closest picture we have to 1999 as it was taken at the Cat Club when he performed with Gilby in June 2000. This is a look he could've kept but just 2 years later he went full braids so his hair seemed to be a continuous issue.

Screenshot_20220206-222845_WhatsApp.jpg

• Thanks 1