What if a version of Chinese Democracy had been released in Summer 2001? An essay by The Reconstructor

Hey there, people! Long time no see!

I've previously posted/discussed both my imaginary 1989 and 1995 GNR albums and other essays of mine over at The Reconstructor, and so following this six year rule, here's my version of a 2001 Chinese Democracy:

2zth69s.png

GUNS N' ROSES - CHINESE DEMOCRACY (2001)

1. Chinese Democracy (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  2. Hard School (Rough Mixes CD-3)
  3. Perhaps (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  4. Street of Dreams (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  5. If the World (Rough Mixes CD-2)
  6. There Was a Time (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  7. Catcher in the Rye (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  8. State of Grace (Rough Mixes CD-3)
  9. Rhiad and the Bedouins (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  10. Silkworms (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  11. I.R.S. (Rough Mixes CD-3)
  12. Madagascar (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  13. Atlas Shrugged (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  14. Prostitute (Rough Mixes CD-1)

Feedback, reactions and general discussion around this topic would be greatly appreciated. What do you people think?

“Better,” “Sorry,” and “Shackler’s Revenge” are some of my favorites off the real studio release.  And I prefer the title track’s studio release vs the grungier demo. But they’re definitely not “worth the eight year wait” better than the imaginary track list you provide for a 2001-era Chinese Democracy

I completely agree that they waited too long to make an impact. By 2008, the writing was already on the wall as far as albums as physical media are concerned. And an entire generation of people had grown up without memories of seeing the classic GNR all over the charts. 

People still would have had a hard time accepting a Slash-less GNR in 2001, but the songs themselves would have definitely had a home on MTV and on rock radio alongside dog shit like Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock. By 2008, no rock station really even existed in Chicago beyond the ones playing the “classics.”

I like your track list. I would drop “If the World” and “Silkworms” to make a more succinct 12-track record (though I realize you’re keeping with the studio releases 14 songs). I think “If the World,” “Oh My God,” and “Silkworms” could have made an interesting experimental EP along with “Eye on You.”

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

The song material is simply not strong enough. You can add a song here, change the order there, but in the end the big guns simply ain't there, imo.

And I think there were definitely great songs left out from Chinese Democracy. One of my problems with CD is all the mid-tempo or ballad-y piano-driven songs. On the locker leaks there are the scaffolds for many more guitar.-driven rockers that I think could be great when finished.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

And I think there were definitely great songs left out from Chinese Democracy. One of my problems with CD is all the mid-tempo or ballad-y piano-driven songs. On the locker leaks there are the scaffolds for many more guitar.-driven rockers that I think could be great when finished.

With that I agree, I really like the title track and Oh my God for example, some of the village stuff has potential at least.

• Thanks 1

I would have enjoyed that record. I do feel even some of the seemingly completed songs from the Village leaks still needed work. (State Of Grace) sounds pretty rough, though being a great track. Perhaps also has one verse repeated, not sure if this was the intent or not for the final version, or if it was placeholder. It still works for me. 

• Like 1

Chinese Democracy could have been a huge hit if it was released in 1997 and marketed as the final Guns N'Roses Album ever. 10 years after Appetite For Destruction album would have been the perfect circle. Some huge and successful bands actually only lasted about 2 years, so 10 years for Guns N'Roses would have been seen as great. Chinese Democracy is a solid album(IRS is one of the best songs in Guns N'Roses Catalogue and easily the strongest and best song on Chinese Democracy )  the only thing Fans rag on about Chinese Democracy Album is how long it took to release it and the fact that there were NO guns on it, only a single rose so to speak. Edit. IRS definitely should have been the big single from Chinese Democracy. The only really good thing Chinese Democracy song has going for it is the slamming guitar intro and Axl singing in both his high pitched voice and his low voice at the same time, but IRS is a solid song throughout the song, every single second of if. In fact, I'd go do far to say that IRS should have been the title of the Album, itsy THAT good. 😀

Edited by Karice
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I would have enjoyed that record. I do feel even some of the seemingly completed songs from the Village leaks still needed work. (State Of Grace) sounds pretty rough, though being a great track. Perhaps also has one verse repeated, not sure if this was the intent or not for the final version, or if it was placeholder. It still works for me. 

Yeah, I thought about the inclusion of "State of Grace" for a bit before finally deciding on including it. If it sounds too rough for your ears, you can switch it with "Oh My God" on the tracklist without too much of a difference, as both songs are pretty out there.

And regarding "Perhaps", I always thought that was just the way the song was written, an intentional choice as to how the song sounded. But interesting theory...

3 minutes ago, Axls_Moustache_Rules said:

We have it. It was part of the locker leaks

1672845105576.png

Yep, all of those songs are on my album. Plus IRS, State of Grace and Hard School from Rough Mixes CD3, and If the World from CD2

12 hours ago, OfftheBeatenTrack said:

Hey there, people! Long time no see!

I've previously posted/discussed both my imaginary 1989 and 1995 GNR albums and other essays of mine over at The Reconstructor, and so following this six year rule, here's my version of a 2001 Chinese Democracy:

2zth69s.png

GUNS N' ROSES - CHINESE DEMOCRACY (2001)

1. Chinese Democracy (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  2. Hard School (Rough Mixes CD-3)
  3. Perhaps (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  4. Street of Dreams (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  5. If the World (Rough Mixes CD-2)
  6. There Was a Time (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  7. Catcher in the Rye (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  8. State of Grace (Rough Mixes CD-3)
  9. Rhiad and the Bedouins (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  10. Silkworms (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  11. I.R.S. (Rough Mixes CD-3)
  12. Madagascar (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  13. Atlas Shrugged (Rough Mixes CD-1)
  14. Prostitute (Rough Mixes CD-1)

Feedback, reactions and general discussion around this topic would be greatly appreciated. What do you people think?

Without This I Love? 🤔

6 minutes ago, OfftheBeatenTrack said:

We unfortunately don't have any versions of TIL dating back to this March/November 2000 period. If we did, it'd be a guaranteed inclusion on the album.

I'd take the hip hop beat chainsaw rasp vox remix we got over any classic ballad. Likely to have been recorded beyond this period obviously but it's just so good. Stomps the album version IMO.

• Like 1