Favorite cover songs?

1. Bohemian Rhapsody - live with Queen and Elton John, unsurpassed, a moment in time, perhaps one of the greatest live performances ever

2. Salt Of The Earth - live with The Rolling Stones, Izzy playing guitar with Keef and Axl giving Jagger and run for his money, priceless

3. Down On The Farm - live at Farm Aid, raw, powerful, historical performance, last gig with the real GNR drummer (not counting Steven kicking their lethargic asses when he joined the NITL lineup for a moment)

4. Don't Let It Bring You Down - amazing song, suits Axl's clean tenor like a glove, even though their Bridge School gig was a mess, it was cool to see Neil Young doing this with Axl

5. Wichita Lineman - by far the best song they ever covered, but nothing beats the Glenn Campbell version, wish they'd do more country songs, Axl sounds really good doing doing that shit

6. Whole Lotta Rosie / Marseilles / The Seeker - good solid rockers that just work for me in concert

7. James Bond Theme / Ziggy Stardust / Another Brick In The Wall - prefer these structured and rather sophisticated solo spots over any Slash noodling

8. Jumping Jack Flash / Heartbreak Hotel - more of a live feel to them, sound pretty cool

9. Look At Your Game Girl - back when Axl had balls and offered food for thought, you could write an entire essay about the questions this raises and the depth and layers in context and still not scratch the surface

10. I Feel Good - Axl improvising and incorporating radio interference into the show instead of smashing the entire venue to pieces, love it

• Thanks 1

To me, this is like asking - what's the favourite shit you've ever taken? It makes absolutely no sense. Although I get that its probably just because as fans, there's not much else to talk about.

But this is a band who have lacked creativity and any kind of artistic value for decades of doing nothing. Why would we encourage that with mediocre cover versions???  I want less cover versions. I actually think its pathetic and a bit cringey that the band still does Live And Let Die, and Knockin On Heaven's Door. Its a sad reflection of their own output. 

2 hours ago, Millions said:

To me, this is like asking - what's the favourite shit you've ever taken? It makes absolutely no sense. Although I get that its probably just because as fans, there's not much else to talk about.

But this is a band who have lacked creativity and any kind of artistic value for decades of doing nothing. Why would we encourage that with mediocre cover versions???  I want less cover versions. I actually think its pathetic and a bit cringey that the band still does Live And Let Die, and Knockin On Heaven's Door. Its a sad reflection of their own output. 

Cover songs have their place but in Guns place I get it because they annoyingly put a bunch of them in their set at the expense of their own songs.

• Like 1

Human Being and Hair of the Dog are 2 good ones from TSI that were never played live. There's eras where it would have sounded good live but probably not currently. Edit: Hair of the Dog was apparently played live a few times between 1988-1990.

Edited by mystery

On 2/27/2023 at 2:11 PM, Millions said:

To me, this is like asking - what's the favourite shit you've ever taken?

I don't know, but last night's is definitely up there...

Anyway, for me, I'd go with (in no particular order): Riff Raff, Whole Lotta Rosie, Walk All Over You, Wichita Lineman, Raw Power, I Got You (I Feel Good), I Wanna Be Your Dog, Wish You Were Here, and The Seeker (yes, really. Sorry.)

I wouldn't call it a favourite, but after hearing them do Black Hole Sun live, I appreciated it more from that point onwards. Not a favourite, but glad I heard it, glad it had it's run, glad it's done with.

Wait.... Nice Boys ISN'T a Guns N'Roses original? 😳😱 I JUST learned from this very thread that Nice Boys is a Guns N'Roses cover, not an original! 😱😳 You learn something new every day like the saying says. 🤔😉 

One of my favorite Guns N'Roses covers is  Since I Don't Have You. 😀It's one of the best ballads Guns N'Roses have ever done. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2023 at 2:29 AM, DK6 said:

Ain't it fun

Nice boys

Wild horses, mother, only woman bleed - these are  the ones i feel major nostalgia for even though they're just snippets.

Wichita lineman

Kohd from the 80/early 90s - as long as Axl didn't want some reggae!!

About Reggae, didn't Axl go through some weird phase where he had DREADLOCKS like a Rastafarian? 🤔🤣😳

• Haha 1