Power Trip Expectations

Sosso

4 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Not sure if it’s him who’s mad at the rest of FNM, or the other way around, or both.

Something's going on. It could well be both. I think he mentioned that nobody checked up on him and I guess they are mad for having to cancel in the first place.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There’s talk on the AC/DC forum that for some reason (maybe health, maybe visa issues) Phil won’t be able to make the Power Trip show. The rumour is fueled by the band picture being removed from the PT website. Simon Wright is rumored to stand in for Phil.

would be a bummer and I hope that it’s just visa issues and nothing health related so IF they come to Europe the Rudd will be in the chair 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

There’s talk on the AC/DC forum that for some reason (maybe health, maybe visa issues) Phil won’t be able to make the Power Trip show. The rumour is fueled by the band picture being removed from the PT website. Simon Wright is rumored to stand in for Phil.

would be a bummer and I hope that it’s just visa issues and nothing health related so IF they come to Europe the Rudd will be in the chair 

All eyes on Brian this time anyway. :) 

47 minutes ago, jamillos said:

All eyes on Brian this time anyway. :) 

I disagree. Sure Brian being back is a big thing obviously and the casuals won’t care who’s on drums, but the whole idea of the reunion after Mal passed was getting the OG boys back together one more time to honor Malcolm. If there a show or even a small tour without Phil it’s just like ROB tour all over again… Also will Cliff be there if Phil isn’t? He retired after ROB because he said it was a different animal…

And from a musical standpoint no one comes close to Phil in terms of swing and feeling, even though Simon would probably be a better fit than Chris Slade imo

Anyways let’s see what Power Trip brings :) I’m still excited that they will be performing again even though this rumour diminished my excitement a bit 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:02 AM, SAU3R said:

I disagree. Sure Brian being back is a big thing obviously and the casuals won’t care who’s on drums, but the whole idea of the reunion after Mal passed was getting the OG boys back together one more time to honor Malcolm. If there a show or even a small tour without Phil it’s just like ROB tour all over again… Also will Cliff be there if Phil isn’t? He retired after ROB because he said it was a different animal…

And from a musical standpoint no one comes close to Phil in terms of swing and feeling, even though Simon would probably be a better fit than Chris Slade imo

Anyways let’s see what Power Trip brings :) I’m still excited that they will be performing again even though this rumour diminished my excitement a bit 

I had no idea the AC/DC fanbase preferred Simon to Chris. Funny Simon was on what I consider to be AC/DC's weakest album (Fly On The Wall), and Blow Up Your Video, which is a mid-to-decent record, while Chris got in when AC/DC got back in the spotlight with Razor's Edge.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 9:56 AM, SAU3R said:

I love Phil's playing (he really is the best drummer for AC/DC) but Simon and Chris are great in their own right. So, I won't get mad if Simon shows up to perform at the Power Trip festival. 

As for the future, Angus could divide AC/DC into a studio band and a live band. The studio band would include all members from the ROB line-up while the live band would have a different drummer or bassist.

Edited by Sosso

16 hours ago, Cosmo said:

I had no idea the AC/DC fanbase preferred Simon to Chris. Funny Simon was on what I consider to be AC/DC's weakest album (Fly On The Wall), and Blow Up Your Video, which is a mid-to-decent record, while Chris got in when AC/DC got back in the spotlight with Razor's Edge.

Chris was great in the 90s but didn’t sound that good on ROB tour (imo at least). Since then he’s had a stroke and he’s 76 now. There’s recent videos of him playing drums showing, that he’s just not capable of playing with AC/DC anymore. 

Simon is only 60 so he might bring a bit more energy to the band. Also his groove is similar to Phil. If Phil can’t make it, Simon would be the right choice imo.

Also I don’t believe the drummers in AC/DC have any say when it comes to songwriting, recording or producing. That’s all up to the Youngs (or just Angus these days)

• Like 2