Rank the GNR shows you’ve seen!

1 - Oakland, Ca 1992. Day on the Green with Metallica. Turf wars in the outfield while waiting what seemed like forever for Guns to take the stage. The two biggest bands on the planet together. Was on YouTube at one point. Unforgettable. 

2 - Concord, Ca 1988. Opening for Aerosmith, the only time I saw the AFD5 in concert. Super short setlist, 7 songs. Really wish I could find a bootleg of this one. 

3 - San Francisco, Ca 2016. Never thought I’d see Slash and Axl on stage together again. Axl’s voice was strong enough and I couldn’t stop smiling the whole time. You could tell the three of them were pretty damn happy up there. And they played Coma, my favorite off the Illusions. 

4 - Oakland, Ca 2017. NITL still going strong. 5 songs I hadn’t seen them perform live before including Yesterdays and Madagascar. 

5 - Hollywood, Ca 2019. Axl was two hours late making it feel like the old days. They played Slither, Shadow and a good rendition of Wichita Lineman. Also got to hear them sound checking Hard School long before it was released.

6 - San Jose, Ca 2019. Back down to a 24 song set, the concert never seemed to lag like some of the longer ones do. Had a great time. 

7 - Bridge School Benefit, 2012. Never wanted to see NuGuns live but this was a special charity concert series that was beloved here. Total embarrassment. I had hyped up my wife to see Axl in addition to the already great lineup and the 2 song impromptu set by Eddie Vedder ended up being the musical highlight of the night. Actually, the whole rest of the lineup was amazing: Jack White, Gary Clark, Jr, Flaming Lips and more. 

• Like 2

1 - Kansas City 2016 (great vocals, great energy, my first GN'R show)

2 - Wichita 2019 (good vocals, Axl was in a great mood, Locomotive played live for the first time since '92)

3 - Kansas City 2023 (weak vocals but an incredible setlist puts this show above St. Louis)

4 - St. Louis 2017 (good vocals, loved hearing Sorry live, comes in last place by default because the setlist was weaker than KC 2023 and Wichita 2019)

Edited by History2010

On 2/8/2024 at 6:41 AM, DTV88 said:

1 - Oakland, Ca 1992. Day on the Green with Metallica. Turf wars in the outfield while waiting what seemed like forever for Guns to take the stage. The two biggest bands on the planet together. Was on YouTube at one point. Unforgettable. 

2 - Concord, Ca 1988. Opening for Aerosmith, the only time I saw the AFD5 in concert. Super short setlist, 7 songs. Really wish I could find a bootleg of this one. 

3 - San Francisco, Ca 2016. Never thought I’d see Slash and Axl on stage together again. Axl’s voice was strong enough and I couldn’t stop smiling the whole time. You could tell the three of them were pretty damn happy up there. And they played Coma, my favorite off the Illusions. 

4 - Oakland, Ca 2017. NITL still going strong. 5 songs I hadn’t seen them perform live before including Yesterdays and Madagascar. 

5 - Hollywood, Ca 2019. Axl was two hours late making it feel like the old days. They played Slither, Shadow and a good rendition of Wichita Lineman. Also got to hear them sound checking Hard School long before it was released.

6 - San Jose, Ca 2019. Back down to a 24 song set, the concert never seemed to lag like some of the longer ones do. Had a great time. 

7 - Bridge School Benefit, 2012. Never wanted to see NuGuns live but this was a special charity concert series that was beloved here. Total embarrassment. I had hyped up my wife to see Axl in addition to the already great lineup and the 2 song impromptu set by Eddie Vedder ended up being the musical highlight of the night. Actually, the whole rest of the lineup was amazing: Jack White, Gary Clark, Jr, Flaming Lips and more. 

Regarding Bridge School. Axl had strep throat and obviously wasn't feeling great. But he still stepped up and played two charity shows that benefit intellectually and physically disabled young people. And it's only really on Jungle (night one) where he loses his voice.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Regarding Bridge School. Axl had strep throat and obviously wasn't feeling great. But he still stepped up and played two charity shows that benefit intellectually and physically disabled young people. And it's only really on Jungle (night one) where he loses his voice.

I appreciate that he was sick and still came out. Props for that. Unfortunately, I was there night one, when I think night two is the one most people have seen online. He came on super late in the middle of a tightly scheduled show to the point Eddie Vedder came out and sang just to keep everyone happy.

Then Axl sang the wrong lines on multiple songs and Better was absolutely horrible. Too bad, that song actually seems like it could be good in an acoustic version. 

3 hours ago, DTV88 said:

I appreciate that he was sick and still came out. Props for that. Unfortunately, I was there night one, when I think night two is the one most people have seen online. He came on super late in the middle of a tightly scheduled show to the point Eddie Vedder came out and sang just to keep everyone happy.

Then Axl sang the wrong lines on multiple songs and Better was absolutely horrible. Too bad, that song actually seems like it could be good in an acoustic version. 

What songs did he sing the wrong lines on? I've got both shows.

17 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

What songs did he sing the wrong lines on? I've got both shows.

I remember him royally messing up Jungle in two different spots. Maybe that’s what I’m confusing with two different songs? Add in the Pitman towel waving during Patience and I see the worst representation of NuGuns ever filmed. Again, fair play that he came out while sick and there were some good parts of the set. The first half of Patience itself was actually a highlight with people singing along. He really tried on the second half and was ok for the most part.

The looks on the kids faces on stage is really cool and what this concert series was all about. 

59 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

I remember him royally messing up Jungle in two different spots. Maybe that’s what I’m confusing with two different songs? Add in the Pitman towel waving during Patience and I see the worst representation of NuGuns ever filmed. Again, fair play that he came out while sick and there were some good parts of the set. The first half of Patience itself was actually a highlight with people singing along. He really tried on the second half and was ok for the most part.

The looks on the kids faces on stage is really cool and what this concert series was all about. 

Yeah it was pretty much just Jungle. And I don't think it was a case of stuffing up the words as completely losing his voice for part of it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

10.23.87 - The Ritz, New York, NY- epic performance and the band was tight

10.29.87 - L'Amour, Brooklyn, NY- band had a lot of energy but was a bit sloppy. Still a great early show

08.24.88 - Great Woods, Mansfield, MA- crappy lawn seats, short serlist and Axl's voice was shot but the band played well

8.25.88 - Great Woods, Mansfield, MA

03.06.93 - New Haven Coliseum, New Haven, CT- Band was over a hour late but put on a good show

12.02.02 - FleetCenter, Boston, MA- not Guns for me but entertaining concert. Interesting to hear Bucket and Robin play the old songs.

Was supposed to see them at 09.28.91 - Lake Compounce Amphitheatre, Bristol, CT. But it was cacelled as the locals were afraid of a riot

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 3/11/2024 at 2:23 AM, classicrawker said:

10.23.87 - The Ritz, New York, NY- epic performance and the band was tight

10.29.87 - L'Amour, Brooklyn, NY- band had a lot of energy but was a bit sloppy. Still a great early show

08.24.88 - Great Woods, Mansfield, MA- crappy lawn seats, short serlist and Axl's voice was shot but the band played well

8.25.88 - Great Woods, Mansfield, MA

03.06.93 - New Haven Coliseum, New Haven, CT- Band was over a hour late but put on a good show

12.02.02 - FleetCenter, Boston, MA- not Guns for me but entertaining concert. Interesting to hear Bucket and Robin play the old songs.

Was supposed to see them at 09.28.91 - Lake Compounce Amphitheatre, Bristol, CT. But it was cacelled as the locals were afraid of a riot

You win! 

(with the exception of 2002 :P)

• Like 1