Gnr fans reviews from NYC May 12 Gig

darknemus

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got home now. B)

So, I'll just add a few quick comments to dark's review.

First, I have to say Axl looked happier and healther than I've ever seen him during a performance before. I've never seen him genuinely smile and laugh during a gig as often as he did this evening - and hopefully that's a sign for the shows/tour to come. As dark mentioned - Axl's stage presence, image and sound were dead on tonight.

Also, it appears he listened to fans' comments about his attire. ;) He finally dumped those God-awful oversized jerseys - and jumped onto the stage wearing a cool leather shirt, jeans and sunglasses. He even wore his leather jacket to the after-party. *Finally, he's looking like a rocker again!*

Axl's voice - as dark mentioned - was strong and hit all the notes, which was cool. I have to admit I was a little concerned when sweat was pouring off his face after the first two songs. But I guess it was just adrenaline because he didn't have any stamina problems throughout the entire show, and his voice remained strong - although I have to admit his voice did get a little high-pitched - slightly "helium" sounding - for one or two of the AFD songs late in the set. Still, overall, his voice was solid.

When it comes to guitarists, I thought Robin totally stole the show. He dominated from start to finish. His talent, charisma, and colorful stage presence were second-to-none.

I'd also like to add that there was real chemistry between the band members - especially between Axl, Robin, Dizzy and Richard - which was not there in 2002. They really geled as a band, and looked like a band.

As for Bumblefoot - honestly, I'm not sure what he was doing there. He seemed overwhelmed with everything and stayed inconspicuously off to the side of the stage for most the show. When he took to the front to do a couple of guitar solos, they were dull and simplistic. To give you an idea of what I mean - People beside me actually sat down both times he played his guitar solos - and then stood up for the rest of the show. I think he's talented, but isn't choosing the right guitar solos to allow himself to shine.

Highlights: Baz playing with Axl. It was an amazing sight. The energy level both onstage and through audience feedback to the song was awesome.

Also, Axl singing "Better" - which he described as a "Robin song." This track has hit written all over it. Amazing song.

As for the opening act - Bullet for my Valentine - I disagree with dark. I didn't think the band was bad at all. In fact, I think it was much better than the CKY/Mixmaster Mike duo that opened for Axl in 2002. Bullet was kind of like Three Doors Down - on acid and steroids. lol.

Well, it's now 5:49am - so I guess I'll stop there and add more comments tomorrow.

Thank you for the review - btw, where was the after party?

It was at a little rock club on the Lower East side. Axl was there - without bodyguards or any of that nonsense - just sitting around chilling. Robin, Baz and Merck were also there. It was very loud and very crowded.

Wow, great reviews of last nights show. Many things make sense now with this particular band. Bumblefoot was a damn good call, he can cut it. He can go "Toe to Toe" with Bucket's licks no doubt. He's a little more "Down to earth" as well with his guitar playing. Less erratic. I'm new round these parts and have enjoyed this site very much these past few days. There are a few smart people on here who are very perceptive and know what they are talking about. I almost don't feel like not getting in the car tomorrow morning and driving the 5 hours down to Hammerstien for the show. I feel like I've enjoyed the show already big time. Technology is incredible. God Bless America.

Drew Stone

www.stonefilmsnyc.com

Wow. While I hope Kaneda's review is wrong, and that even if it's right it focuses on the wrong aspects of the performance, I have to say it's rather sad to watch everyone else tear into him in such an ugly way. Why not just say, "Well, thanks for the review, but I disagree" and move on? None of you are looking very good at the moment.

...Overall, I am so over caring about this new Guns N Roses...

...Just like the majority of us are over caring about your posts Kaneda.

Do us all a favour...

...don't come back. ;)

:rofl-lol: he lost one of his balls in a sledding accident

and yeah...c'mon its only one favour

JamesStedham.

Guest Jungle Blood

Ban Kaneda.

He must have showed a stick very high up his ass, because his moth is leaking shit over his fingers.

Ban Kaneda.

He is a useless moron.

Ban Kaneda.

He doesn't like Guns N Roses.

Ban Kaneda.

He likes to watch little children undress.

on topic:

Seems like a great show. Gotta get some good audios of Better.

Videos would do fine aswell.

Since this is a reviews thread and not a yell at useless douchebags thread Im gunan post what I saw, I flew in from Buffalo so I was expecting a lot:

1) The line snaked around 4 blocks before the show...that should be an indication right there

2) The energy felt during WTTJ was like nothing Ive ever felt at a show ever. The bands on the scene now cannot touch this live show.

3) Highlights:

Sweet Child O Mine- If I didnt know better I would have thought this was being played off the album on the house speakers. Sometimes the new guys add their own flavors to the solos, which is fine, but on this one Robin played it just like the AFD cd and Axl sang every note perfectly. On the 2002 videos I thought Axl had lost that edgy screech to his voice but last night he sounded like he did in 1989

Better- Wow...in my opinon it sounded the best of all the new songs. The part in the middle where it gets super heavy was amazing.

November Rain- Bumblefoot sounded great on this one. I thought he sorta dropped the ball once or twice over the course of the night but Axl trusted him with the big solo at the end and he nailed it. Kudos.

Chinese Democracy- I was luke warm on this song but seeing it last night made me think it should be the new single. It fucking rocks. Robin's solo destroyed.

Night train- WOW. They extneded the song out a little and jammed while Axl was screaming...abosolutely phenomenal. I was floored by how good this sounded and the new band really seems to nail this one.

Robin Finck in general- when the band first came out I didnt think he was in anymore because of how he looks. I thought it was John Frusciante for a second. But either way, he nailed every solo and had a great vibe all night. Axl mentioned that "Better" was a Robin song, so big ups on that.

Minor criticisms:

Live and Let Die and KOHD- I dont understand why Axl still feels the need to cover songs at this point. KOHD was a good mellow out tune but I feel they could have put in something else, it would be great to hear some other UYI songs.

IRS- sounded good but the mix of the guitars sounded sorta weird. I could barely hear Bumblefoot's solo but maybe that was an acoustics issue. Wasnt bad by any means and lets not forget it was a warm up show so by they time they come around in the fall Im sure all the kinks will be worked out.

All in all an amazing night, cant wait for CD.

If we ignore him he will go away like all good cupcakes do.

Did it work with warchild ?

Anyway, great post Kaneda.

Axl's fanatics are reacting like this because truth hurts.

I'm sure Kaneda appreciates you jumping on his bandwagon; misery loves company or so I'm told.

It's so easy...to be negative, maybe that's why they never made a statue for a critic.

I think your real problem is that you're both afraid that Axl and Guns N Roses and the fans are all moving on without you...

"no one told you when to run....you missed the starting gun" :sleeper:

Guys, if he's content being negative, leave him alone - Kaneda's viewpoint is only one of two negative ones I've read, so why worry about it? It's his right to speak his mind.

Anyway, bring on more reviews, guys n' gals. So far, they've all been very cool and informative. :krider:

I love how nobody retorts any claim I made, they just make personal insults. Look, anyone that was at the Garden show in 2002 knows that last night sucked in comparison.

I have no idea whether you're right or not - wasn't there at the show, but I agree about this - people, it's embarrassingly puerile to just bash Kaneda because he has an opinion he's willing to express. If you disagree, say so and debate, but don't act like little children mad0025.gif

I really can't take a part in this - as I've said, I haven't been to the show and even though most of you keep raving about it, I think I'd rather wait to see this myself in order to be able to form an opinion about it, especially knowing how lots of the posters here get over-excited about things they would consider mediocre if they had come from the old band (and let's not get into another "real GNR"/"new GNR" debate - they lead nowhere *sigh*), but I'd still be delighted to hear more reviews, both positive and negative :)

Edited by nameless_girl

Can I just ask? Was 'Better' at all different from on the leaks? A lot of people were optimistic to whether the second part of the song was just a sample? I'm aware now that they played the heavy part but did it have that breakdown bit where you hear a kind of water noise?

Can I just ask? Was 'Better' at all different from on the leaks? A lot of people were optimistic to whether the second part of the song was just a sample? I'm aware now that they played the heavy part but did it have that breakdown bit where you hear a kind of water noise?

From what I remember, it did have that watering sound...it was very hard to really tell what was going on in the leak...everything was like the leaked track except it sounded so much....better

All I can say is if the band and Axl sounded this great on the first night, can you imagine how great they will sound once they get a few shows in?? From these reviews they seem to be only a few "minor" glitches, if any, thats rare for opening night of a tour.

I just found out that my friend Amy's cousin was at this show.

She was like, You know that Guns N' Roses show you were talkin' about, I was like yeah, she's like, my cousin went to that. She mentioned that she went to a concert last night and she was like who, and her cousin was like you don't know them, Guns N' Roses, and she was like my friends like obsessed with 'em. :lol:

I'll be trying to get her review of the show. And pictures n' shit.

I just got home now. B)

So, I'll just add a few quick comments to dark's review.

First, I have to say Axl looked happier and healther than I've ever seen him during a performance before. I've never seen him genuinely smile and laugh during a gig as often as he did this evening - and hopefully that's a sign for the shows/tour to come. As dark mentioned - Axl's stage presence, image and sound were dead on tonight.

Also, it appears he listened to fans' comments about his attire. ;) He finally dumped those God-awful oversized jerseys - and jumped onto the stage wearing a cool leather shirt, jeans and sunglasses. He even wore his leather jacket to the after-party. *Finally, he's looking like a rocker again!*

Axl's voice - as dark mentioned - was strong and hit all the notes, which was cool. I have to admit I was a little concerned when sweat was pouring off his face after the first two songs. But I guess it was just adrenaline because he didn't have any stamina problems throughout the entire show, and his voice remained strong - although I have to admit his voice did get a little high-pitched - slightly "helium" sounding - for one or two of the AFD songs late in the set. Still, overall, his voice was solid.

When it comes to guitarists, I thought Robin totally stole the show. He dominated from start to finish. His talent, charisma, and colorful stage presence were second-to-none.

I'd also like to add that there was real chemistry between the band members - especially between Axl, Robin, Dizzy and Richard - which was not there in 2002. They really geled as a band, and looked like a band.

As for Bumblefoot - honestly, I'm not sure what he was doing there. He seemed overwhelmed with everything and stayed inconspicuously off to the side of the stage for most the show. When he took to the front to do a couple of guitar solos, they were dull and simplistic. To give you an idea of what I mean - People beside me actually sat down both times he played his guitar solos - and then stood up for the rest of the show. I think he's talented, but isn't choosing the right guitar solos to allow himself to shine.

Highlights: Baz playing with Axl. It was an amazing sight. The energy level both onstage and through audience feedback to the song was awesome.

Also, Axl singing "Better" - which he described as a "Robin song." This track has hit written all over it. Amazing song.

As for the opening act - Bullet for my Valentine - I disagree with dark. I didn't think the band was bad at all. In fact, I think it was much better than the CKY/Mixmaster Mike duo that opened for Axl in 2002. Bullet was kind of like Three Doors Down - on acid and steroids. lol.

Well, it's now 5:49am - so I guess I'll stop there and add more comments tomorrow.

nice post

3. The AXL / LEAD GUITARIST Balance is gone: This is by far the biggest problem with this new band. Axl needs a lead guitarist that's larger to life to play with, someone to share the stage and be just as exciting as him. But now there's nothing exciting to look at, say what you will, THE LOSS OF BUCKETHEAD has destroyed this new GNR. Admit it guys, the new GNR Axl had in mind is not this, this is only the backup plan. I worried that we were going to get a watered down version of the 2001-2 band, and we did.

Well, I first heard Buckethead on the 2005 "IRS" leak (yes, I am a downloading motherfucker), and I agree that he was as exciting as Axl, his short solo equalling Axl's mighty "There's not any more than I can do" and "It's not a crime tonight it's true..." lines, as well as the rip-roaring opening of the 2nd verse, but, as you so often say, let's wait for the studio material, eh? I think that's what counts now.

I can regrettably tell you however that if Illitpress's "New IRS" review is correct they (GNR) will be putting out/on the album a watered down version of "IRS" with Richard on the Bucket solo. Are you aware of those comments? "All this fuss over a lamer version of 'IRS'" - RazZ, April 2006.

It could well be the same with your beloved "Better" as well. I mean you heard it played live last night.

4. THE ONE QUESTION THAT MAKES NO SENSE: Why did Axl breakup the old band so he could take the music forward, and yet, all he does is play mostly the old material?

That's an interesting point. Maybe these new songs like "The General" and the Marco Beltrami songs, as well as "Catcher in the Rye", are and epitomise the yet unheard more mature nature of what the New Guns N' Roses really are (and are very good at doing), while the AFD/UYI-era stuff remains valid but ultimately of the past.

FWIW I prefered UYI over AFD.:shocked:

Edited by RedEurope

You guys are so blind...seriously...this new band is a joke of what GNR used to be. Do any of you remember what made GUNS N ROSES so great? It sure as hell wasn't what was up there on stage last night. I mean, please. You have all these guitarist sharing solos all night long? So stupid. A band should have a talented lead guitarist and let him take ALL THE SOLOS! You never know where to look and who's doing what solo. I don't really care, you guys will waste all of your time analyzing this same shitty setlist from now until the fall. This GNR is lame.

Can't you just respect the old and new Guns N' Roses? They both perform with their own merit and produce great music.

Oh noes! Who's doing the solo??!?!?!?!?!?! The guy holding his guitar vertically, chump!

Well I've tried to catch up on what people have been saying, so forgive me if I repeat some things.

First, let me say that some of you so called "fans" need to jump off a bridge with that awful band Bullet for my Valentine. I can't believe that some of you are calling Bumblefoot a bad player and that he needs to go. Do you people know what rock and roll is? The guy is amazing.

Next, let me address the fans that were at the show. I realize that some of you are there to hear a good show and party and drink etc... but at least do your fucking homework if you're going to a concert that involves one of the greatest rock bands to ever grace the stage. I don't know how many times I had to hear "There's Izzy!!!", I am serious the people around me actually thought Robin, Tommy, and Richard were Izzy (depending on who you asked). Also, when Bach came out, some people actually thought HE was Izzy! I couldn't fucking believe my ears. Also, the drunken fools who kept trying to run my girlfriend over trying to get closer, a big F-you to you as well.

Now, on to my short review. I was right next to the stage, on the left-middle side. Waiting around for hours standing on my legs was really taxing my stamina. I mean when you're that close to the stage you have people practically living in your ass and they don't want to leave, so I thanked the heavens when the opening riff to Welcome to the Jungle started, but then my thankfullness was interupted by about 100 people trying to get closer to the stage. Luckily, I held them off. Some people weren't as lucky, I saw at least 4 girls passed out or nearly passed out that had to be carried away by security.

Axl was incredible, it's funny because before the show I said to myself "he should just come out in his jeans and shirt" and sure enough, out he comes in classic rocker fashion with a nice leather shirt to boot. The man has obviously been keeping fit as well, he looked fucking great. The goatee really works, he needed it. His voice was probably the best I've ever heard it live, and the rest of the band was loving every minute of it. There was so much energy, it was the best concert I've ever been to.

A couple of funny notes...

Axl got to close to a pyro-explosion, and he gave us a little smirk saying "shit I almost fucked up on that one".

Stinsons was so into the concert, he started roaming around behind Axl at one point. This wouldn't seem strange, except that Robin stopped playing his guitar and actually grabbed Tommy's shoulders and pulled him towards his mic in a funny way. Seconds later the rain of fire came down from the top of the stage and I realized that if Stinson was where he was 5 seconds ago his head would have been toast. It was funny as hell seeing their reaction to that.

You've heard this one already, but Axl calling us all "downloading motherfuckers" got a huge reaction.

Baz coming out and doing My Michelle really just brought the concert to another level, he soaked up the crowd and pumped his fist with Brain's drumming. His voice was sounding great as well, he rocked.

And let me say just one more thing, the new Guns N' Roses are THE Guns N' Roses. They actually look like a fucking rock band. No more freaks, no more gimmicks, they all look like classic rockers. Robin's outfit had me laughing, he looked great. I couldn't believe it was him! And I agree, he looked like John Fusciataine (spelling?) And when he jumped into the crowd at the end, holy shit I had visions of Kurt Cobain all over again. Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll is back and here to stay. Play on!

If anyone has any questions about last night, ask me. I was right next to the stage

Well I've tried to catch up on what people have been saying, so forgive me if I repeat some things.

First, let me say that some of you so called "fans" need to jump off a bridge with that awful band Bullet for my Valentine. I can't believe that some of you are calling Bumblefoot a bad player and that he needs to go. Do you people know what rock and roll is? The guy is amazing.

Next, let me address the fans that were at the show. I realize that some of you are there to hear a good show and party and drink etc... but at least do your fucking homework if you're going to a concert that involves one of the greatest rock bands to ever grace the stage. I don't know how many times I had to hear "There's Izzy!!!", I am serious the people around me actually thought Robin, Tommy, and Richard were Izzy (depending on who you asked). Also, when Bach came out, some people actually thought HE was Izzy! I couldn't fucking believe my ears. Also, the drunken fools who kept trying to run my girlfriend over trying to get closer, a big F-you to you as well.

Now, on to my short review. I was right next to the stage, on the left-middle side. Waiting around for hours standing on my legs was really taxing my stamina. I mean when you're that close to the stage you have people practically living in your ass and they don't want to leave, so I thanked the heavens when the opening riff to Welcome to the Jungle started, but then my thankfullness was interupted by about 100 people trying to get closer to the stage. Luckily, I held them off. Some people weren't as lucky, I saw at least 4 girls passed out or nearly passed out that had to be carried away by security.

Axl was incredible, it's funny because before the show I said to myself "he should just come out in his jeans and shirt" and sure enough, out he comes in classic rocker fashion with a nice leather shirt to boot. The man has obviously been keeping fit as well, he looked fucking great. The goatee really works, he needed it. His voice was probably the best I've ever heard it live, and the rest of the band was loving every minute of it. There was so much energy, it was the best concert I've ever been to.

A couple of funny notes...

Axl got to close to a pyro-explosion, and he gave us a little smirk saying "shit I almost fucked up on that one".

Stinsons was so into the concert, he started roaming around behind Axl at one point. This wouldn't seem strange, except that Robin stopped playing his guitar and actually grabbed Tommy's shoulders and pulled him towards his mic in a funny way. Seconds later the rain of fire came down from the top of the stage and I realized that if Stinson was where he was 5 seconds ago his head would have been toast. It was funny as hell seeing their reaction to that.

You've heard this one already, but Axl calling us all "downloading motherfuckers" got a huge reaction.

Baz coming out and doing My Michelle really just brought the concert to another level, he soaked up the crowd and pumped his fist with Brain's drumming. His voice was sounding great as well, he rocked.

And let me say just one more thing, the new Guns N' Roses are THE Guns N' Roses. They actually look like a fucking rock band. No more freaks, no more gimmicks, they all look like classic rockers. Robin's outfit had me laughing, he looked great. And when he jumped into the crowd at the end, holy shit I had visions of Kurt Cobain all over again. Ladies and gentlemen, rock and roll is back and here to stay. Play on!

If anyone has any questions about last night, ask me. I was right next to the stage