The Blues

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overrated song by some fans on this board. It is a good song, but not a "great" song. Not a song that will top the charts. Everything that is topping the charts right now, or everything that is running MTV is all a different dynamic, "verse-chorus, verse-chorus, bridge/solo, verse-chorus"

The Blues kinda bounces around a bit and is a long song, almost too long of a song for a huge mainstream audience to pay attention to. It is a good song, but not a song that grabs people.

No, it's not the new November Rain

I don't think it can be considered overrated. Don't forget that many of us are nostalgic of a certain kind of music and as it seems, THE BLUES tends to fit this lack of good music. (for me, same for Madagascar)

I do not consider it a new NovemberRain at all for example but I think it can have a good impact.

You're rigtht that it can be seen as a long song but hell, there's a place for all in this world and I wouldn't want it to be shorter, to be honest I sometimes would like it to be longer.

I guess the band has chosen another kind of song for the new single so I won't try to make bets here.

When I say it is has been overrated, I am refering to the way that people think if it comes on the radio, GNR will be back at it's '91 strength; that everyone, everywhere will love it. That's the way some fans hype it. Chinese Democracy the song too. There is hype on these boards that CD will change the world. That is what I am refering to as overrated. Unrealistic expectations.

It can have an impact but it is a depressive song and to release a single like that too soon when you are a band again trying to rise again can be a huge mistake. Guns N Roses was a rock band and they rocked, thats what people remember. To remind em you are back is to rock your way back. Madagascar and The Blues arent the way to go IMO.

That's a bit why I said The Blues is for nostalgic of a certain kind of music.

I think people thinking that CD will change the face of the world are fully wrong but also it's a CD that they've been waiting for a long time so it's kind of normal. I don't blame them although I don't share this point of view.

To be honest I couldn't say what kind of song I'd like to hear as a new single: I'm both OK for ballad or a rocker song since GNR is know for both. I think die hard would go for the rocker but general public would go for a slower song. I couldn't say for myself since I'll buy the CD anyway.

On topic:

I like the new intro more than the 01 version, but as for the voice, both are OK to me.

The intro musically is better in 2006.

The intro vocally hasn't been bettered since 2001.

The rest of the song is better in 2006, and the raspy voice will work better on record, but it seems harder for him to pull it off live.

So the studio version will be great.

Although like someone else said I think the biggest improvement of a song from live to studio is madagascar.

Can't wait to here the album version of that bastard.

LP

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I think the studio version of this tune will be immense. . .!

Robin's solo, dizzy on the piano, Pittman on the synths and layers of Axl's vocals. . . rock3

LA

NO. You're going to give me "Breakdown" nightmares.

• 3 months later...
Has the potential to be up there with the GNR classics.

Strange, I thought I was the only one who prefered the 2002 version to the 2006 version - certainly live anyway, Axl hasn't nailed it yet in my opinion. Not that that's a major problem.

Would be a great single...

UK SUBS.

The '02 version shits all over the '06 version Subsy! I agree.

The '06 version sounds a bit more like a generic rock song. Very odd. I think it's the little stuff - the missing guitar intros with the bouncy riffs, the fact that Ron is on an acoustic (whereas Buckethead used to play scales through the song on electric), and most especially the outro which is lacking not only Pitman's heavier synth (no joke!) but, once again, Buckethead's scales up and down the guitar neck. Bumble plays chords during the outro on the acoustic and it just doesn't have the same effect. It was really a unique blend of different styles in '02 and now...not so much. Still a good song, but it's lacking that "something."

Also, I agree - Axl's vocals in '02 were magnificent on this song. The problem when he sings it now is that he hits the rasp on the lower notes and tries to shift into the "helium" voice during the higher points of the song and it throws the balance off. He should sing it "cleaner" like in '02 IMO because it makes the song sound a lot better.

I still love it, but compare the best recording of '06 to the weakest recording of '02 - there's no comparison.

As you might have predicted, I've listened to a version from 2002 and a version from 2006. I'm not too fussed about the difference in the arrangements, in fact I think the new introduction would sound better in a studio version. I'd like to note, that on either version, the value of Pit(t)man becomes clear, his parts are essential to the song. The solo is about the same, a few more subtle technical flashes were added in the 2006 version. Now, on to the meat of it. Call me crazy, but I like Axl's voice better in the 2002 version, yes, the rasp is less apparent, but he seems like he has better control over his pitch and tone. Another big difference to me is in the general groove of the band, there was a real nice bounce to the 2002 version that just isn't there anymore. I prefer the 2002 version.

Hah, I also thought I was the only one who prefers Axl's 2002 vocals on this song. I still think that even with all the new "releases" since september.

Edited by Gunner

A truly great song, it seems a bit on the short side though, i prefer the '06 piano introduction to the previous guitar incarnation - (this is coming from a guitarist), i can appreciate the piano more and it seems to gel better with the song and gives it a slightly epic sound to it i think, it would be nice if it got extended, will be great in studio i'm sure, can't wait.

And as other have stated - Madagascar in studio version will be truly epic im sure!

I'm not a big fan of this song, but I think it sounds way much better in 2006 than the 2002 donald duck voice

...Donald Duck?

:rofl-lol: Donald Duck. I think this song is amazing, when i first listened to any of the CD songs, it almost immediately struck me as phenomenal. Twice Live it was something special.... generally all good.

This song means alot to me, single-handedly, it got me interested in the new lineup. I liked "Chinese Democracy" also, but I've always thought that "The Blues" was an instant classic. It's one of my favorite Guns N' Roses songs.

Now I know it's been a long time since I started a topic in here or said anything too positive about the band, but I've just gone on a little excursion and I feel like some might like to read my opinion on it. This song is very important to me, and in a way it represents everything about the new band for me.

As you might have predicted, I've listened to a version from 2002 and a version from 2006. I'm not too fussed about the difference in the arrangements, in fact I think the new introduction would sound better in a studio version. I'd like to note, that on either version, the value of Pit(t)man becomes clear, his parts are essential to the song. The solo is about the same, a few more subtle technical flashes were added in the 2006 version. Now, on to the meat of it. Call me crazy, but I like Axl's voice better in the 2002 version, yes, the rasp is less apparent, but he seems like he has better control over his pitch and tone. Another big difference to me is in the general groove of the band, there was a real nice bounce to the 2002 version that just isn't there anymore. I prefer the 2002 version.

I will say that if they ever release a good studio version of "The Blues", this band will really be worth something.

nice post, i also feel the 2002 live versions are the best (Nampa soundboard is my fav version that ive ever heard) the studio version i have such high hopes for< i just KNOW its gonna be incredible!! with that said i think thats what makes all the waiting for the album so hard, we that have heard the newer material know very well the potential & high quality of music that we're in store for : )