Home Theaters

Yeah, the biggest the screen the more difference it's going to make. Honestly, anything less than a 55" for those resolutions would be dumb.

Panasonic's 105" and 150" plasmas have been 2160 (4k) for years now.

I thought 4k was just hitting the market?

Yeah, the biggest the screen the more difference it's going to make. Honestly, anything less than a 55" for those resolutions would be dumb.

Do you have the 60 grand for a 105? How about half a mil for the 150? No? Then I suppose they are just hitting the general market.

But there's no content and wont be for a while.

Also, they just came up with their clever little 4k name last year.

Edited by AxlisOld

Do you have the 60 grand for a 105? How about half a mil for the 150? No? Then I suppose they are just hitting the general market.

They are just starting to look at 4k transfers (Lawrence of Arabia).

They are just starting to look at 4k transfers (Lawrence of Arabia).

That was shot on 70mm so that'll probably work fine. But unlike our Bluray transfer age, most older movies on film were on 35mm, which will transfer cleanly to 1080, but not 2160.

How can you check on the reciever that it is ouputing dts 5.1 hd? i mean it sounds good but i cant tell just from hearing alone. Plus how far do you put the left n right front speakers from the centre? Which i have put in the middle of the tv.

Traditional 5.1 is going to only have certain sounds coming from certain speakers. For example, voices/speaking will come from the center speaker, and background noises will usually come from the back speakers, ie the surround effect.

It takes some getting to used, and honestly, a lot of people just put it into the extended stereo mode where the same sound is coming through every speaker, which I only do with music and concerts occasionally.

Im with classicrawkwer, im a Panasonic kind of guy. Still rockin a 2010 Panny P50G20, still looks great. Although probably gonna upgrade this year to whatever new model they get in. Hoping for a 60", seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Is 3D content worth it to you guys for home use? I watched a bit on my dads LG 55" smart TV and wasnt very impressed. I enjoy it in the theaters but the effect wasnt very immersive in his place. Maybe because his living room is so huge.

Edited by pugachev

Im with classicrawkwer, im a Panasonic kind of guy. Still rockin a 2010 Panny P50G20, still looks great. Although probably gonna upgrade this year to whatever new model they get in. Hoping for a 60", seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Is 3D content worth it to you guys for home use? I watched a bit on my dads LG 55" smart TV and wasnt very impressed. I enjoy it in the theaters but the effect wasnt very immersive in his place. Maybe because his living room is so huge.

Haven't checked out the 3D on my Panasonic VT50 but I have read bigger is better for screen size for 3DTV's..also active is supposed to kick passive 3D's ass for good effects.....one of these days I will get a pair of Samsung active 3D glasses and check my TV out......

Also if you get 3D plasma is a must. LED's refresh rates can't touch it and you need every bit of it if you're cutting your refresh rate effectively in half for 3D. If youre going big, Panasonic or Samsung, they both make 65s (Samsung might make a 64). I have seen the Sharp huge screens, the picture is just not as good as plasma.

Ryan, the display on your receiver should say Dolby Digital, DTS, Stereo, or Dolby Pro Logic on it while playing.

Should my next TV be Samsung or Sony? I'm really tempted in getting 65+. :nervous:

If you want the best picture then get a Panasonic 65" VT50 plasma...or if you are prefer LED, and can afford it, get a Sharp Elite 70"......

Can you briefly tell me why should I change to plasma? I currently own a 55'' LED HDTV Sony Bravia KDL55HX800 so should I really upgrade now or wait for the 4K TVs?

Help is appreciated.