VMA performance was 10 years ago today

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

It was quite a howl he opened Jungle with, just a shame his voice was failing him after that. Great band performance and crowd enthusiasm, but it is an Axl-centered show, and he didn't deliver the way he should have.

Too bad he doesn't do that anymore...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sucked! It was Axl's big chance to show nuGnR with a kickass performance and he goes onstage with gay Robin, Raincoat Bucket, dressed like Fred Durst and sounding like Mickey Mouse! Gimme a fuckin break... I'm not saying the band didn't sound great, 'cause it was the best line-up playing-wise but you can't convince and old GnR fan to like a guy dressed in a KFC bucket and a Taiwanese Transexual Hooker with rice powder on his face. Plus, Axl looked the worst in his whole career and sounded horrible. It sucked. Had 2006 nuGnR been introduced like that instead of 2002, it'd be a whole other story.

It sucked! It was Axl's big chance to show nuGnR with a kickass performance and he goes onstage with gay Robin, Raincoat Bucket, dressed like Fred Durst and sounding like Mickey Mouse! Gimme a fuckin break... I'm not saying the band didn't sound great, 'cause it was the best line-up playing-wise but you can't convince and old GnR fan to like a guy dressed in a KFC bucket and a Taiwanese Transexual Hooker with rice powder on his face. Plus, Axl looked the worst in his whole career and sounded horrible. It sucked. Had 2006 nuGnR been introduced like that instead of 2002, it'd be a whole other story.

an interesting point?

There was nothing in the years 2003,2004,2005.

Back then I used to argue with people on GNR forums, that NuGNR would never top the old band. I can officially claim now I was right - which I usually am.

you're right.

no videos, no releases, no single hits, no fuckin great guitar solos...

Back then I used to argue with people on GNR forums, that NuGNR would never top the old band. I can officially claim now I was right - which I usually am.

I'm a huge fan of Guns N' Roses but I don't think any band will ever top the classic line-up.

the fact that anyone can watch this video and compliment the "energy" speaks volumes to how cognitive dissonance works.

shit performance all around. the only people with anything nice to say about are the people who desperately need to find something nice to say about it.

axl should be forced to watch this performance every day for the rest of his life. if he wants to own the gnr name, he better be prepared to work for it.

no fuckin great guitar solos...

Opinion.

yes, no solos that deserve to figure out in lists like this:

http://whiplash.net/materias/melhores/043854-gunsnroses.html

"whiplash.net" :rofl-lol: What a reliable source.

In fact, News.com.au.

there's so many fuckin lists around...

but, tell me. CD have that good guitar solos?

Edited by auad

I thought it was one of the best moments in Mtv/Gnr history. A year after 911, Axl, Buckethead shredding, freakshow, WTTJ and PC, new song with amazing vocals. It was also probably the big moment for a big rock band in Mtv history, and from arguably the biggest band of Mtv (when it was good)'s history.

Sure, they did a medley and a guitarist or two (or three) missed the change, and Axl got a lil winded. But that energy was unparalleled. Axl had something special then, and '02 had flashes of brilliance. If it would've continued, it's arguable Slash and others would've come into the conversation again, at least for me. Woulda loved to have seen BH, Robin and Brain do Scraped, IRS, etc

no fuckin great guitar solos...

Opinion.

yes, no solos that deserve to figure out in lists like this:

http://whiplash.net/materias/melhores/043854-gunsnroses.html

"whiplash.net" :rofl-lol: What a reliable source.

In fact, News.com.au.

there's so many fuckin lists around...

but, tell me. CD have that good guitar solos?

Prostitute Bucket Solo, TWAT Solos both are better than anything GN'R have done before IMO.

IMO that preformance of Madagascar is the best preformance GnR has ever ever done on live tv. Considering it occurred less than a year after september 11th in a city that was struck with so much disaster adds even more greatness to it. The rest of the set sounded horrible though and axl looked like a clown

Richard Fortus is, was, and will always be one of the best showmen and guitarists out there. When I saw this performance I was taken back by his stage presence.

Also looking back, Axl did not sound as bad as everyone made it out to be. Also, I bet if he wasn't with braids, and had his look now, he would have been judged much more differently. But you know what, kudos to Axl for looking however the fuck he wanted to look, and bringing out characters like Bucket and Finck with no regards what anyone would think. That my friends is true rock n roll.

How funny, all these positive reactions about this performance... I can remember back then that a lot of people were complaining about him being fat, out of shape, bad voice, the line-up, etc... And now everyone likes it? :rolleyes:

They don't know what they've got till it's gone. It's like the 2010 concerts, I can't remember people being so excited about them back in 2010... And the recent European tour will be praised in a few years, too. I guess it is the knee-jerk response that everything GN'R does must be criticised, but hindsight is 20/20.

Exactly this. 10 years from now a 60 year-old Axl (provided God-willing he's still around and active) will more than likely be heavier and have a weaker voice than now and people will be waxing poetic about 2012 when he was 50 and had "more energy". Just enjoy and absorb it all why you can. '92 and '02 ain't comin' back... and '12 won't be here forever either...