Bumblefoot on Atlas Shrugged (from eat more heat,march 2013)

Guest Gunns

Guest Gunns

This was posted in amongst posts in another thread, but wasn't talked about all that much

Atlas Shrugged, I was going to tell a little story about that song. Right now on my laptop, I actually have the old guitar solo that I played for that song, when, two days before the album was going to be mastered, I was like, let's see if we can squeeze it on to the album. I busted out some guitar tracks for it, I have my own studio...

But, because the CD could only be 74 minutes max, and it would've taken it past the limit of what a CD can store, we couldn't put Atlas Shrugged on Chinese Democracy. It wasn't worth making a two-CD album with just one song on the other CD, so hopefully, on ChiDem 2, it'll have Atlas Shrugged on there. Interesting song."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gunns

even Ron calls it Chinese democracy 2?

if Chinese democracy was a 2 disc set, they would have only had one extra song for that disc? I thought there were a couple more albums worth of material?

I think he meant as a last moment kinda thing, like atlas would of been good to be on it, but it wasnt worth having an extra cd for 1 song (maybe the others weren't considered or weren't "perfected" enough at that stage)

put it on a cd with 2 other songs and some live cuts put it out on an EP, problem solved.

Maybe the song is good enough to deserve a better spot than just being randomly thrown out like that.

it isnt being randomly thrown out there though. patience, one in a million, used to love her were all good enough for an EP

put it on a cd with 2 other songs and some live cuts put it out on an EP, problem solved.

Maybe the song is good enough to deserve a better spot than just being randomly thrown out like that.

But not good enough to replace Scraped...?

it isnt being randomly thrown out there though. patience, one in a million, used to love her were all good enough for an EP

An EP is often seen as leftovers from an album or just a quick way to earn money as it costs less to produce. GN'R Lies was put together mainly because of the drug problems at the time - to keep the band together.

Perhaps they don't want Atlas Shrugged to be seen as a leftover or as a song that "wasn't good enough" for the album. That was my point.

It's said that there is a lot of unreleased (or unfinished) material left after the CD sessions. Songs that might be really great and deserves to be put out as an album which they then can tour on.

Edit: How weird it would be if for instance Estranged was released on an EP next to some live cuts right after UYI...

Edited by Jeez

Guest Gunns

I hope Ron's solo is good, because Brian may is the guy who originally layed down guitar tracks for this, and I was kinda looking forward to hearing his parts.

Classic Rock had the opportunity to listen to Atlas as well as prostitute, rhiad, and silkworms back in 2007

Edited by Gunns

Guest Gunns

So I hope Ron didn't ruin it like he ruinned Catcher.

I love Ron, I even bought his normal album. But he did ruin Catcher. Totally.

I thought that catcher should of had brian may left on it (even though axl apparently recreated the solo from multiple takes of mays guitar work) and im really counting on may apeparing on atlas, would be a lot better suited imo (even though i havent heard the song obviously)

Couldn't disagree more. before Ron changed the solo i barely noticed there was a guitar solo. also, it flows better and hangs better on the whole. May did a poor job with the solo - i thought that the first time I heard it. I almost felt that it was not meant to be on the cd from the beginning and was just a demo type solo

Couldn't disagree more. before Ron changed the solo i barely noticed there was a guitar solo. also, it flows better and hangs better on the whole. May did a poor job with the solo - i thought that the first time I heard it. I almost felt that it was not meant to be on the cd from the beginning and was just a demo type solo

This. A big reason the May solo doesn't flow is because it's comped from different takes May did (Axl explained this in the chats where he said that May said "that's not what I played" when the first demo track was played back to him).

The solo of brians that ron replaced was a cut n paste solo that even may didnt really ever play or like? and feel part of that was choosen by axl out many solos may did for that song.

Even the solos are composites.

^^ Agreed. People just like Brian Mays solo because a) they fell in love with the song the way they first heard it and b) it's Brian May.

BBF's solo is a trillion times better.

Nope. I loved it since the first time I heard it. I think it's great. I don't care that it's Brian May, and I judge it based on it's own merit.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's impossible for others to really enjoy it. I like Bumble's version as well.