Kanye West Thread

Deepest Shame

I saw a YouTube comment that said "about 2 hours".

Setlist statistics (not song list):

The College Dropout - 2 songs

Late Registration - 1 song

Graduation - 4 songs

808s - 3 songs

MBDTF - 4 songs

Cruel Summer - 3 songs

Yeezus - 10 songs (whole album)

Edited by bacardimayne

If it's anything less than two hours I'll be highly disappointed, regardless of the quality of the show.

I did look at the stats there, and glad to see Yeezus played in full as I hoped it would be.

Any pictures of all that "VIP" swag stuff, or the merch in general?

EDIT: Found some pictures:

kanye-yeezus.jpg

null_zpsf2ef4de2.png

Some of that shit looks pretty awesome. I have a feeling I'm going to spend more money than I'd like to on some Yeezus merch.

Wondering what the VIP Lithograph looked like, though.

OK, I refrained from looking at setlists before my show because I was only a week into the tour and figured I could contain myself till then. I succeeded and boy am I glad I did. Fucking AMAZING show. First time seeing him and it was just fucking killer. I'm pissed that a setlist isn't immediately up. I would have written it down but figured it's a pretty mainstream show in LA so somebody must be doing it. Someone probably did and its just not up yet. Here is what I remember (it may be missing one song and may be a tad out of order but this is relatively close to confirmed):

Los Angeles setlist:

1. On Sight

2. New Slaves

3. Send It Up

4. Mercy

5. Power

6. Clique

7. Cold

8. I Don't Like

9. Black Skinhead

10. I Am A God

11. Can't Tell Me Nothing

12. Coldest Winter

13. Hold My Liquor

14. I'm In It

15. Guilt Trip

16. Heartless

17. Blood On The Leaves

18. Lost In The World

19. Runaway

20. Street Lights

21. Love Lockdown

22. Stronger

23. Jesus Walks

24. Flashing Lights

25. Diamonds From Sierra Leone/Diamonds/(I assume Run This Town but I wasn't positive)

26. All Of The Lights

27. Good Life

28. Bound 2

I'll keep it hidden in case others want to be surprised although I do want to talk about some of it. I ignored this thread until my show so if you want to be surprised I suggest just doing that.

But holy fuck. 2 and a half hours (like 5 minutes less than that in reality) and the show started at 9:47 and went until 12:12. For those interested, opener Kendrick Lamar went on at exactly 8:15 and was off by exactly 9. But amazing Kanye stage with the mountain and everything. I can't believe he played all of Yeezus. That just blew my fucking mind. I was hoping because the album is so incredible, but figured he wouldn't play ALL of it. Great crowd as well that were really into it. Kanye kept a mask over his head pretty much until Jesus Walks, and while I would have liked him to take it off sooner, it didn't necessarily detract from anything. It was just nice to see his face.

Awesome well rounded setlist. Yes, he plays little from the first two albums, but all of Yeezus makes up for it. And some great 808s choices which I fully assumed would be ignored. I liked that he integrated them into the show as opposed to doing a set 3 in a row like he usually does, and it also became clear how much those went well with the Yeezus tracks live. Would have loved more of Dark Fantasy but you can't get everything. I was afraid the show would be only about an hour and a half, and for $150 I was gonna be pissed about that. But 2 and a half hours, no encore, just straight through playing with the small video breaks at times, Kanye just fucking killed it.

Blood On The Leaves was an absolute highlight. Thats sort of the new Runaway where just everyone fucking loves it. Great pyro during All Of The Lights which was a nice touch. Incredible rant before Good Life and another during Runaway. I'm telling you, this guy is Axl in terms of ranting. No one else like these two. Amazing closing with Bound. Felt so perfect. Actual jesus coming out was just fucking hilarious. Just all in all an excellent show. I had so much excitement not knowing anything about the show that I was happy I was blown away. I could talk more but these are my initial thoughts. Just incredible all around, and if you like Yeezus, you NEED to see this tour. Its just not even a question. It is vastly different than anything he's done before, at least setlist wise. And he's at a peak in terms of money for production and creating as an artist so this is either the last big thing for awhile, or the first of many great tours.

• Like 1

Man, we barely got 90 mins in London...

Thing was this was a totally different show. Honestly, I'm jealous of the show you guys got in London. Not that I didn't absolutely love tonight's performance. It was epic. But the London one, to my knowledge, was a much smaller venue and that show had a very cool "theater" sort of aspect to it. It wasn't supposed to be this huge long thing. It was a strict production and it was a bit more "centric" to what he was doing at the time. He didn't have a new album yet and he was just sort of... there. Which in itself is very cool. You guys got the KanYeti and these very distinct acts, etc. You also got a show not dominated by Yeezus, which good or bad, is just different. The only thing I can see being pissed about is if your ticket prices were the same as these Yeezus shows and that was all you got. I agree, thats a bit of a rip off. But otherwise, you got a very specific show, which is the cool thing about Kanye. All his shows and runs are different, so you most likely got this very cool transitional period that he won't ever do again. Like, I would love to see the show I just saw tonight AND the London one because you get two totally different Kanye's IMO.

You got the insane rants and stuff. You got a Kanye that was REALLY pissed, which in itself was very very cool. The slanted stage and just Kanye up there not covered by masks or anything. Just saying, don't sell your show short. Its really no ones fault, its just that Kanye's shows are all so extremely different that you really have to see all of them to not regret something.

Edited by classicguns4life

Man, we barely got 90 mins in London...

Thing was this was a totally different show. Honestly, I'm jealous of the show you guys got in London. Not that I didn't absolutely love tonight's performance. It was epic. But the London one, to my knowledge, was a much smaller venue and that show had a very cool "theater" sort of aspect to it. It wasn't supposed to be this huge long thing. It was a strict production and it was a bit more "centric" to what he was doing at the time. He didn't have a new album yet and he was just sort of... there. Which in itself is very cool. You guys got the KanYeti and these very distinct acts, etc. You also got a show not dominated by Yeezus, which good or bad, is just different. The only thing I can see being pissed about is if your ticket prices were the same as these Yeezus shows and that was all you got. I agree, thats a bit of a rip off. But otherwise, you got a very specific show, which is the cool thing about Kanye. All his shows and runs are different, so you most likely got this very cool transitional period that he won't ever do again. Like, I would love to see the show I just saw tonight AND the London one because you get two totally different Kanye's IMO.

You got the insane rants and stuff. You got a Kanye that was REALLY pissed, which in itself was very very cool. The slanted stage and just Kanye up there not covered by masks or anything. Just saying, don't sell your show short. Its really no ones fault, its just that Kanye's shows are all so extremely different that you really have to see all of them to not regret something.

I got tickets for the first show that was announced, which was the 2nd night. Missed out on the awesome rant of the 1st night, but the 2nd night had a great finish where after alternating between sulking and jumping up and down throughout the show, for the encore of Touch The Sky he just started screaming halfway through for a minute and then dropped the mike.

5 out of 5 Axl Roses.

Haha, not heard "KanYeti" before. 17-minute version of Runaway was cool. Tickets were £70 for the London shows, how much are the Yeezus ones? I'll probably see him again if he brings Yeezus to UK, I like about half the album (where's the love for Hold My Liquor? I love that track).

Lol yeah, KanYeti was just what I heard it had been called. Either way, the show in a full insane asylum suit? You missed out in terms of time, but you certainly got a Kanye produced theatrical show. He was fully there for you guys as well. Sounds like all those London shows were cool, although you were at the more famous one I think. That Touch The Sky scream and throw the mic ending is VERY widely talked about. God I can't even imagine if thats epic or just plain uncomfortable. Definitely Axl reminiscent.

Yeah, we got a similar 15 minute Runaway last night which was really awesome. It had a great rant during it and totally fit. I believe tickets are similar for all of the US Yeezus shows, but mine last night were $150, without fees, for the lower most bowl. Basically the best seats without being on the floor. GAs were the same price, while the VIP GAs were $200 without fees I believe. With fees, those $150 tickets ended up being like $172, but I went to the venue and got mine because they said it would just be the $150. So, I guess prices were comparable to the UK ones if my math is correct. My goal would have been to only spend $100, and I was a bit pissed at him initially that tickets were so high, but it was a big production and a name opening act (not that I cared about him) so I understood it. And a 2 and a half hour show with full Yeezus album made it worth it for me. I don't have regrets about the price.

Hold My Liquor is excellent. Personally, I love the whole record, so I'm curious to know which half you like? I could guess it would most likely be side 1, which really doesn't have a bad song on it. On Sight is maybe the worst from that first side, but Black Skinhead and New Slaves are top notch, and I personally love Liquor and God so I'm totally set. Side 2 initially took me longer to get into, and its still my less favorite side, but I know the album as a whole so it just works for me. I'm In It is my least favorite although there's just something about it that I still enjoy, mainly the ending minute. Blood On The Leaves is IMO the best song on the album so thats just amazing. Guilt Trip I like although don't love (my brother does though so go figure). Send It Up is the same way. Similar to I'm In It that I just sort of know it with the album as opposed to liking it, but still enjoyable. Bound 2 is a great closer and just classic Kanye. All in all, a terrific album, and playing this album in full on this tour makes up for him not touring MBDTF IMO.

Seems the most well liked Yeezus tracks are Black Skinhead, New Slaves, Hold My Liquor, Blood On The Leaves, and Bound 2, while the rest are sort of acquired tastes. I'm happy that people responded favorably to everything though last night. Top notch crowd. And aside from Lou Reed's unfortunate death completely ruining my high from this show, it was definitely killer.

• Like 1

Was hesitant because first I heard of him was Stronger, and I really liked Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger. When one of my friends said it was better than the Daft Punk track I thought that was blasphemy. Took me a while before I appreciated it. Also liked Can't Tell Me Nothing. POWER blew me away. Listened to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, fell in love.

I'm not a big rap/hip-hop fan, besides some Eminem from my teen years (and Recovery and MMLP2 in recent years), but Kanye is another level for me. MBTDF is like the ChiDem of the genre for me, in that its scope and ambition is beyond anything else of its ilk (there's a review where the author compares the 2 albums).

Clearly there are lot of people here who enjoy this..music. I'd be very curious to know what you like about him? What made you a fan? What made you want to see him live?

Not hatin' or trolling, just curious.

I got into him through his most genre-bending album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (one of the most critically acclaimed albums of all time). What separates him from many other rappers is that he makes his own beats/music so he completely controls his musical direction for a given project. He has a very forward thinking mindset in terms of his own music. After his first couple albums, each subsequent album does not sound the same, to the point where you have reviewers calling Yeezus "industrial" and "punk rock meets rap".

As a rapper, I won't say he's one of the best, but he's really good. Sometimes you'll hear some stupid lines (mainly on Yeezus where lyrics were written in a couple weeks), but he really shines lyrically on his early work (and on MBDTF, but that's more of a thematic thing).

As a live performer in the rap genre, he's just on a completely different level really.

A few more shows have been cancelled/postponed... Some are saying that is it because of low ticket sales.

I don't think so. Pretty sure it legitimately has to do with the crash of the trucks and the stage getting messed up.

As long as Philly isn't canceled though, I'm OK.

Also, in case you guys haven't heard, Kanye has a song coming out on the 12th supposedly that features Miley.