How did Slash agree to play all these Chinese songs?

Would love to have been a fly on the wall.  Just got to show that Axl is the boss.  I'm sure Axl insisted that they keep the Chinese songs to maintain this era wasn't a failure.  Also I'm sure Axl wanted to make sure that this was seen as Slash and Duff coming back and not a reunion with the original group.  I'm just bummed I'm going to the show tonight and hearing Chinese songs that have nothing to do with Slash.  Put a couple of illusion songs in there and maybe move to the city or something like that.  Why did Slash have to compromise?

• Like 3

I'm sure there's more to it.  After being estranged all this time to be that agreeable on something that big.  Maybe you're right.  Maybe Slash looked at it as a rebirth of the band and to move forward with Axl he needed to concede this...we will never get the real story.

7 minutes ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

The story goes, according to Axl, that Slash and Duff had learned to play them without any talks about it

Yes, according to Axl, but who knows if this is true or not? I doubt there was no talk about it at all ...

3 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Yeah, according to Axl Slash learned those songs without Axl telling him to.

Maybe Slash did it as a gesture of goodwill, a symbol of peace and forgiveness you could say. Or maybe Slash knew learning the CD songs would make Axl happy, just like Axl said he knew playing Coma would make Slash happy. It's all about giving and taking and finding a balance that works for everyone...

But how do we know that Axl tells the truth? Maybe it went different and he 'forced' the songs on Slash and Duff as part of the deal for the reunion ... who knows

And thoes songs really work with Duff&Slash :) 

Even if he improvises I really enjoy Slash on This I Love. And Sorry sounded better than with Ashba too. New better intro is awesome. Would love to hear TWAT again!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RooSaa said:

But how do we know that Axl tells the truth? Maybe it went different and he 'forced' the songs on Slash and Duff as part of the deal for the reunion ... who knows

Because historically speaking Axl has a better track record of being honest than Slash. Even Slash admits that Axl is the most honest person he ever met and that he always believes in what he's saying even if his view of things might be pretty unique at times. 

As long as Slash doesn't say anything contradicting Axl, I see no reason to doubt him for now.

And like somebody already pointed out, Slash doesn't hate the CD songs. He even said some nice things about them. And that was long before the reunion.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 1

Every day, for me ( whoever knows me from other edad forums ) is a confirmation that this "war, hate or whatever" between axl slash and duff, was a lie. Personally i think they just decided to go away back on 95.  Ive always defended that thesis.   And seen them play "sorry" confirms that for me.  The fact that they named the tour "not in this lifetime" ( we all know where that came from), for me, is another strong sign of that.

Thats why ive always were confident they were going to reunite at some point.

Same thing for izzy.  The guy played a lot of times with oldnew gnr, velvet, duff solo stuff, etc.  Hey just dont want to be a part of " big monumental things", dont like the public eye,  but stop saying that he's not there for money or being in bad terms with anybody . is stupid.  The guy will be there when he decide to show up.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Frey said:

Because historically speaking Axl has a better track record of being honest than Slash. Even Slash admits that Axl is the most honest person he ever met and that he always believes in what he's saying even if his view of things might be pretty unique at times. 

As long as Slash doesn't say anything contradicting Axl, I see no reason to doubt him for now.

And like somebody already pointed out, Slash doesn't hate the CD songs. He even said some nice things about them. And that was long before the reunion.

True, but that doesnt mean that Axl never lies

As long as nobody else speaks out about that topic, Axls answer is all we have ... I hope it was that way, that they played it on their own and not getting forced into something. And even if it was that case, i doubt that Slash or Duff would tell that the public ... otherwise the nice peace is over ...

Edited by RooSaa

I really believe that Slash WANTED to play those songs. I think the proof to that is that he's really working hard in them and making sure he is giving them the Slash bluesy soundTM.

Look how hard he worked on that TIL solo, the intro to Better, the Sorry solo and that thing he does, which I never heard in the song before, when Axl starts 'what were you thinkin'. If he was told to play them, he would just play them as in the record, or do some minor changes. But what he's doing is to put his soul in those songs, making them his.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Frey said:

Even if Axl tends to be a bit more honest than the others, that doesn't mean he's completely honest all the time. During the UYI era he acted like the band was happier than ever with their "sound" and he referred to both albums as "a masterpiece," then in the years that followed he said listening to UYI sounded like "a band dying" and reflected on the whole era as being a time when he "suffered internally from the band and externally from the press." As a matter of fact I even kinda remember him saying about a decade ago that he wished it was just one album. So so much for it being a "masterpiece." See what I mean? Just because he's generally honest doesn't mean he tells the truth literally ALL the time. No one is THAT honest.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

It's a tip of the hat by Slash and Duff to play his Chinese songs.   Make Axl feel good.  It's a give and take to make the thing work for everyone.

Besides, Slash gets to play all of his Amazing stuff with Myles and the gang all the time.  VR and Slash w/Myles both MUCH BETTER than Chinese Democracy I might add.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Even if Axl tends to be a bit more honest than the others, that doesn't mean he's completely honest all the time. During the UYI era he acted like the band was happier than ever with their "sound" and he referred to both albums as "a masterpiece," then in the years that followed he said listening to UYI sounded like "a band dying" and reflected on the whole era as being a time when he "suffered internally from the band and externally from the press." As a matter of fact I even kinda remember him saying about a decade ago that he wished it was just one album. So so much for it being a "masterpiece." See what I mean? Just because he's generally honest doesn't mean he tells the truth literally ALL the time. No one is THAT honest.

I didn't say Axl never lies or is honest all the time. Just that he's got a bettet track record than Slash.

Plus the things you mentioned could also be examples of Axl believing his own shit and later changing his opinion/coming to his senses. Slash on the other hand has been caught straight-up and knowingly lying a couple of times (like the time he denied going to Axl's house, before finally admitting it some time later).

Maybe Slash (and Duff) as a musician actually sees potential in the material, and Axl allowed Slash and Duff to make it their own. The solos are very different and have a more bluesy/hard rock/Slashy feel to them. Slash is a musician hes not a pushover or a pacifier. He would not play something he dislikes just to please some one, he's way to successful and rich just to please a person. And Axl has been heard saying at the Chinese Exchange interviews that Slash and Duff learnt the material on their own with no prodding or reminders. These guys are grown ups they aren't a bunch of nobodies who will do anything to please Axl. They're hugely successful musicians, they play what they want.

• Like 1