Some questions about AFD

The first single was WTTJ. But only few rock radios played it. That's why the second single was SCOM. ISE was going to be a single, they made a video. MTV banned it.

I think that long NR leaked. There is one acoustic long version but not the complete song. Btw NR and Jumpin Jack Flash questions are not related to AFD as the title of the tread says

10 minutes ago, Padme said:

The first single was WTTJ. But only few rock radios played it. That's why the second single was SCOM. ISE was going to be a single, they made a video. MTV banned it.

I think that long NR leaked. There is one acoustic long version but not the complete song. Btw NR and Jumpin Jack Flash questions are not related to AFD as the title of the tread says

NR was recorded for AFD and Jumpin Jack Flash and Heartbreak Hotel are AFD outtakes, they were recorded for the AFD sessions IIRC. And ISE WAS the first single, it even charted in the UK charts!

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

NR was recorded for AFD and Jumpin Jack Flash and Heartbreak Hotel are AFD outtakes, they were recorded for the AFD sessions IIRC. And ISE WAS the first single, it even charted in the UK charts!

The first single was WTTJ. Where did you get the information that their first single was ISE? They wanted to do it with ISE. But as I said it didn't happen that way.

It doesn't matter what was recorded for AFD. Those songs didn't end up in the album. They wanted Don't Cry to be in AFD. But they had SCOM already and the record company didn't want another ballad

18 minutes ago, Padme said:

The first single was WTTJ. Where did you get the information that their first single was ISE? They wanted to do it with ISE. But as I said it didn't happen that way.

It doesn't matter what was recorded for AFD. Those songs didn't end up in the album. They wanted Don't Cry to be in AFD. But they had SCOM already and the record company didn't want another ballad

Wiki says ISE was the first single in 87 in the UK

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_So_Easy_(Guns_N'_Roses_song)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

Wiki says ISE was the first single in 87 in the UK

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_So_Easy_(Guns_N'_Roses_song)

It might has been the case in the UK. Although if you read the books they wrote and watch documentaries there is no mention of ISE UK single. There are 3 official AFD singles: WTTJ, SCOM and PC

45 minutes ago, Padme said:

It might has been the case in the UK. Although if you read the books they wrote and watch documentaries there is no mention of ISE UK single. There are 3 official AFD singles: WTTJ, SCOM and PC

"Nightrain" was officially released as single. It even hit 93 on the Billboard singles chart. I used to have the mini-CD single, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Padme said:

What are you even arguing about? There is nothing to argue. I am talking about the November Rain demo that was recorded during AFD sessions. I have no questions about the version that ended up on UYI..is that hard to understand? There was a 18 minute version recorded complete with guitar solo, and it's not the acoustic version you meant. Jumpin Jack Flash is a song recorded for AFD, but its an outtake. ISE was released as the first single months before Jungle, but it was banned from MTV in America. That doesn't change that it was the first single, it wasn't banned in other countries such as the UK and Germany and charted as the first GNR single.

I was not looking forward to explaining this to people who don't know stuff..lol. I really don't want to continue arguing with you but that line about Don't Cry is wrong also..the band themselves didn't want another ballad on the record besides SCOM, NOT the label. That was also why NR wasn't on it.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

1) Why was It's So Easy the first single? That's absolutely baffling to me

2) Why are there 2 studio versions of Jumpin Jack Flash?

3) Has the 18 minute demo of November Rain ever leaked?

4) Do you guys think we would have gotten more GNR albums if AFD tanked?

1) Alan Niven has said that the plan was for GnR to break first as an underground band in the UK (which was a more receptive market) and create a buzz there that would help promoting the band back in the US. I guess It's So Easy with its punky and edgy sound was chosen as the most suitable song for this purpose.

2) Maybe because they were trying different versions?

3) I don't think so.

4) ...

56 minutes ago, Padme said:

It's So Easy was the first official single from AFD (the fact that it was a UK only release doesn't make it less official).

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Its-So-Easy/release/1347711

R-1347711-1468016660-9750.jpeg.jpg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Johnny Nightrain said:

"Nightrain" was officially released as single. It even hit 93 on the Billboard singles chart. I used to have the mini-CD single, too.

Was it a separate single? For example LALD single also has Shadow Of your Love

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

1) Alan Niven has said that the plan was for GnR to break first as an underground band in the UK (which was a more receptive market) and create a buzz there that would help promoting the band back in the US. I guess It's So Easy with its punky and edgy sound was chosen as the most suitable song for this purpose.

3) I don't think so.

4) ...

It's So Easy was the first official single from AFD (the fact that it was a UK only release doesn't make it less official).

Tha't why I previously said it might has been the case in the UK

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

3) I don't think so.

4) ...

Thanks that actually makes a lot of sense now. I thought it was extremely weird to choose that song but I guess that makes sense. It was actually not an UK only release too, it was released in Germany aswell. And sucks the original demo never leaked. Slash spoke very highly of it and how close the studio version is now to the original demo still..I suppose it would be something for an AFD remaster if they ever decide to do one.

11 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

ISE was released as the first single months before Jungle, but it was banned from MTV in America. That doesn't change that it was the first single, it wasn't banned in other countries such as the UK and Germany and charted as the first GNR single.

The ISE video was shot two years later (in 1989) and it didn't have to do with the song been released as a single in the UK. The video was nowhere played. I'm not sure if it was intended for MTV airplay anyway. Axl had said in an interview around the time it was shot that they wanted to include it in a videos box set. According to Niven (in Mick Wall's book) he and the label had rejected it.

12 minutes ago, Padme said:

Was it a separate single? For example LALD single also has Shadow Of your Love

Yes, it was. It had a live version of KOHD as b-side.

Just now, Blackstar said:

The ISE video was shot two years later (in 1989) and it didn't have to do with the song been released as a single in the UK. The video was nowhere played. I'm not sure if it was intended for MTV airplay anyway. Axl had said in an interview around the time it was shot that they wanted to include it in a videos box set. According to Niven (in Mick Wall's book) he and the label had rejected it.

Well then in the UK they did things completly different :lol:

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Weird, I remember that the ISE video was banned from television, if it was never released to TV how is that possible? And Interesting. The cassette version of Nightrain actually had Reckless Life on it instead of KOHD.

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Weird, I remember that the ISE video was banned from television, if it was never released to TV how is that possible? And Interesting. The cassette version of Nightrain actually had Reckless Life on it instead of KOHD.

It seems that the 7'' and the cassette had Reckless Life, and the 12'' had both KOHD and Reckless (I remember reading a review though that referred to it as a Nightrain/KOHD only release :question:)

My only real question about Appetite is why the studio version of Mr. Brownstone has the pause between "Because worryins a waste of my... time." Not exactly sure if Axl ever sang it live that way, but if he has, I've never seen it. Just always wondered why they never recorded it with "fuckin'" in the lyrics.

21 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

My only real question about Appetite is why the studio version of Mr. Brownstone has the pause between "Because worryins a waste of my... time." Not exactly sure if Axl ever sang it live that way, but if he has, I've never seen it. Just always wondered why they never recorded it with "fuckin'" in the lyrics.

Reminds me of Axls response on why he recorded that one line in Sorry with that weird Transylvanian accent: "because I like it that way":lol:

• Like 1

Niven was also marketing them as a wild controversial band. A lot of early crazy stories were planted in the media by Niven to get attention. 

I guess you get attention with Easy saving the real single for later. Seeing as the label insisted they write something more commercial (SCOM) before putting the record out, there was a method to the madness. A lot of people were working their asses off to make them successful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

That is an edit dude. Sometimes the swearing on songs gets blanked out. Censored. The record company probably made that decision. In order to ensure it got on shelves or whatever.