For drummers: does Frank uses triggers or does he lacks dynamics?

Hello fellow drummers, 

As all musicians do I'm trying to understand Franks drumming. He knows his stuff, but there is something that bothers me about his drumming in GNR and I don't know what it is. I'd much rather have Steven or Matt before Frank.

Anyhow, I was listening to a few NITL shows and I noticed the intro to Easy and the marching drum parts on Estranged and realized that there are not dynamics. He plays those fill all at the same strength level making it sound so flat. Is he using triggers??? 

• Like 1

Could be compression that is killing the dynamics, it's hard to tell from hearing a camera phone recording with all the reverb picked up along the way. I am sure people have used samples for live gigs, but given the quality of the gear Guns have, I don't know why they would need them. 

• Like 2

He's not using triggers. As for the marching part, Caram might be using a compressor for that part so you'd actually be able to hear the snare when its not being hit hard.

Watch the proshots instead of cell phone videos

He definitely knows his dynamics - the ride bell parts in Estranged, his snare work on the slide solo section of Rocket Queen, and so on. I would agree that it's probably some compression so stuff like the It's So Easy intro stands out in the mix better. Compare to say, the Live Era version where you can pretty well hear the accents (Sorum's in that case) and not the in between bits. The fact that it's only evident on some key parts and not others tells me there's no triggers.

Ah! Yes that might be it, compression. Sorry for the low quality links, just picked the last show available. 

Franks is an amazing drummer don't get me wrong, I just can't pick up on what is it that doesn't fit for me. Maybe because I know all the drum parts by heart haha

14 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

Ah! Yes that might be it, compression. Sorry for the low quality links, just picked the last show available. 

Franks is an amazing drummer don't get me wrong, I just can't pick up on what is it that doesn't fit for me. Maybe because I know all the drum parts by heart haha

He doesn't have the swing you are used to hearing.  

• Like 1

I listened to them and I never listen to Guns N' Roses so this is a rarity haha.

The drums are simply awful - big massive things drowning out everyone - but everything else about those two clips I watched, ''It's so Easy'' and '' Estranged'', is good; this is especially so for Slash who is as sublime as ever but Rose was surprisingly good also. The drumming however is incredibly heavy handed. I was never too keen on Sorum but you barely thought of the guy watching the Illusion tour: here, all you hear is drums!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Could be compression that is killing the dynamics, it's hard to tell from hearing a camera phone recording with all the reverb picked up along the way. I am sure people have used samples for live gigs, but given the quality of the gear Guns have, I don't know why they would need them. 

i was at the first Vegas concert last year and while it was awesome the main problem for me was Frank's drumming. he speeded up almost every song. :shrugs:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i was at the first Vegas concert last year and while it was awesome the main problem for me was Frank's drumming. he speeded up almost every song. :shrugs:

Duff said that was a conscious effort. They've definitely slowed them since! Vegas you'd swear they were all back on coke.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

So many people hated the tempo.. I loved the faster tempos. It was blazing.

The tempos really did fuck with the Vegas shows, I mean the first few songs were understandable but then they went into Double Talkin Jive and part of my brain went "fuck yea!!!" and the other part went "but why a speed metal version?"

Anyway, for a long time I actually did think Frank used triggers, but yea I'm pretty sure it's compression from the board. That said, I wish they'd use a lot less because his fills being front and center fuck up a lot of the songs (Estranged suffers the most).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i didn't hate it, was just not my preference :) were you at that Vegas 1 concert too?

I was.. I was really disappointed in all those April shows... Thankfully they turned it up a level for the Stadium tour though.. Still room for more improvements.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I was.. I was really disappointed in all those April shows... Thankfully they turned it up a level for the Stadium tour though.. Still room for more improvements.

that was my first ever concert and i was just so so happy! but yes looking back disappointed as well. glad i will (hopefully ) see those improvements in November :)

14 minutes ago, supercool said:

It's still nugnr as long as Frank is on the drums...

If Matt or Steven came back, it would be a different story.

They really are just one member away from making this thing sound and feel more authentic and organic..  Having Steven or Matt back would certainly elevate this band to the next level...  I think replacing Fortus would be great too but at least replacing one of them would make a pretty significant impact.. If it wasn't for Slash they would still sound like a bad cover band..

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They really are just one member away from making this thing sound and feel more authentic and organic..  Having Steven or Matt back would certainly elevate this band to the next level...  I think replacing Fortus would be great too but at least replacing one of them would make a pretty significant impact.. If it wasn't for Slash they would still sound like a bad cover band..

Too bad that Matt and Axl don't get along, I love Steven he deserves to be there etc etc, but bringing Matt back would be amazing! 

• Like 3