What was the definitive moment for NuGNR?

HisRoyalSweetness

The VMA's were the defining moment unfortunately, but the media still is in constant attack mode. Anything that can paint Axl in a negative light is sensationalized, mind you he hasn't done himself a lot of favors on the biggest stages. I feel if NuGuns were to do a major performance and it was to go off without a hitch, the media just wouldn't say much about it. God knows compliments wouldn't be flying around as graciously as the negativity does. Regardless of the media though, the VMA's were the performance everyone remembers because they were still relatively relevant 10 years ago. I think the only thing that could bring the new band some positive press now might be a killer performance at the Superbowl otherwise good performances will be ignored and bad ones will be magnified.

Edited by netcord

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The scream in Welcome to the jungle 2001 rock in rio for me was like " Axl is back",his vocal performance was bad at that show but the begining was epic

And the absolutly decadence moment was watching Rock in rio 2011 and think "WHY? why this is happening? he was awesome months ago!?.

Guest Len B'stard

I don't think there's been one? The release of Chinese Democracy? See, to have a definitive moments requires being defined by someone other than hardcore fans and other than hardcore fans there ain't really a lot of mileage in whats been going on in GnR since the mid 90s. Even the name, NuGNR, it's a fans construct, it's difficult to glean a definitive moment from the history of a band that hasn't really carved a place out for itself yet, hasn't really gotten out of the blocks a band unto themselves and until such time as they do something that clearly seperates them, y'know, makes a statement in terms of THIS bands identity, that definitive moment won't come.

I mean, to have a definitive moment you have to've achieved something, which they have to some degree i.e. they've toured with a good degree of success, they released an album...but these are kinda standard things, they haven't even really carved out an identity for themselves, musically or otherwise, to sort of seperate themselves from the "those boys that Axl picked up" tag, much less got to a point where you might be able to look at their career or body of work (ha, what body of work?) and perhaps weed out some kind of definitive moment.

Was always confused by Fallon exclaiming, "they're even taking requests!" Was it a joke? Or did he really think they were taking requests?

VMAs '02 will always be the definitive moment for NuGNR, sadly. It's the thing everyone remembers. Patton Oswalt even had a bit about it on his most recent comedy record, joking about how out-of-shape and exasperated Axl was - Patton compares it to how he feels when he's trying to sink karaoke or something since getting older and gaining weight. The clip is probably on YouTube somewhere.

EDIT:

That was amusing.

for me, it's this one. despite some earlier shows, this was the first real grand public introduction to NuGNR. in the minds of casual music fans and skeptical devotees of the old band, i don't think axl ever recovered.

but obviously, i'm one of those fans who was disappointed in chinese democracy and what axl's done with the gnr brand. there are others who really dig what went down with NuGNR. so maybe you'd have a totally different moment that defines the band to you.

or maybe you're holding out hope that NuGNR's defining moment has still yet to come?

Havent watched this for years now, and its hard to believe its been 10yrs, gives me goosebumps watching madagascar, and however gay it sounds, it was awesome when you see axl high five that fan and axl looks so happy there, even though he sounded like shit and out of breathe on some parts, that shit was fuckin awesome,

But i also think the Hammerstein 2006 was a big step for GNR, bumblefoot introduced also,

i think the biggest impression will be if they ever release another record.

The Philly No-show. Probably just because I was there, but I personally feel like that derailed a lot of shit that may have been in the works at the time. I have no proof, nothing to back it up, but I just have a belief that it stalled, or maybe even ruined, the grand comeback plans. At least in the USA

For me it was Axl managing to get Bucket to join Guns, or maybe losing Bucket after 4 years.

When I really think about it, I imagine a whole different outcome for the band, if Bucket was happy being in Guns and the band was active, maybe that iconic thing and charisma and talent he has about him, could have contributed to the band's status.

You'd have Axl n' Bucket, with 2 albums released and tours that lasted with no riots, that would have been huge for the band.

So losing that possibility was pretty definitive for me, but it was probably the release of Chinese Democracy that was the definitive moment.

Edited by Rovim

its funny, the brand, "Guns N Roses" has had so many low points over the years. That includes 85-93 but the new band especially has just been through so much. Axl has a tremendous problem building on momentum that he has built up and usually just meets and momentum with silence. Plus you have much of the general population hating on nuGNR without actually listening. Really low points imo are VMAs, 2002 tour, the years and failed promises to deliver the album, the lackluster release and Axl calling Slash a cancer (to me those was the worst of it), and then rio 2011. Of course there are more moments sprinkled in there like riots, occasional bad shows, band members leaving, etc.

That all being said, Im pretty proud with where we are today. I think 2009- now have overall been great steps forward for the band. Overall, performances have been great with 3 hour shows and Axl usually being pretty strong. Late starts aren't as bad, the band seems to be fairly stable and has mutual respect and fun together (Bumble included, folks), and attendance and reviews have been way better in the past 3 years.

Sure, a new album is more than ideal and would help but I guess we should be at least a little proud of GNR's standing in 2012. Compare them to other big rock bands like Aerosmith and Van Halen. Shows are similar in a way with quality and their stage shows (in fact, GNR has an even bigger and longer show than the two I mentioned above), professional and fan reviews are way more on board, and Axl seems to be in a better place.

Edited by ZoSoRose

The defining moment for a lot of people I know was,the chicken bucket.

Seriously.

I know a lot of old school,non-forum fans who were excited that Guns were back on the road,and almost ALL came back from the experience shellshocked.

"Who the fuck was the asshole with a chickenbucket on his head...fuck that shit".

They all...to the last one of them...bailed right there.

The defining moment for a lot of people I know was,the chicken bucket.

Seriously.

I know a lot of old school,non-forum fans who were excited that Guns were back on the road,and almost ALL came back from the experience shellshocked.

"Who the fuck was the asshole with a chickenbucket on his head...fuck that shit".

They all...to the last one of them...bailed right there.

Spot on. Regardless of the guys skill he was viewed as an absolute freak, which is what he was. Many fans dont hear the virtuosity of his playing, they just see something completely innaccessible to them and as a result it was totally alienating for the GNR name.

Well it should be about the music... Not the image, right?

People don't look at it that way too much anymore, it seems. Kind of sad.

We believe our eyes first, even when we pay to go see a music show. It might be shocking but it's how we are as human beings, visual aspect of anything is important. :(

Guest Gunns

Thank god Axl wasn't about image as Buckets work on cd is senfuckinsational, something that has set the benchmark for the current band (good luck dj).

Rock in Rio 2011 summed up the state of New Guns N' Roses.

1. Axl's "from the couch to the stage" performance.

2. The yellow raincoat was the biggest universal lol which confirmed that Axl Rose is in fact, a douche.

3. BBF's jungle solo (or lack their of).

4. Patience and Paradise City. Enough said.

This show solidified newGNR's place as a laughingstock.

Edited by Peter Shneck

Well it should be about the music... Not the image, right?

Image has always played a large roll with GnR.

Some of it made sense,some of it was just...chicken buckets.

Ahh, so you weren't a fan of the bucket? I'm indifferent.

I didn't care about the bucket tbh.

My thinking on it was..if that's what it takes to get Axl Rose back on stage,fine..I'll live with it.