Does anybody else miss the good ol' rants?

Never understood why Slash [or Duff, Izzy or Matt] were so against them rants.

I find them to be an insight into the band's philosophy and the point of view. And that, in turn, allows to tell one band from the other. The rants were as big of an argument, as the most expressive songs, if in some cases not bigger, in fans identifying with GN'R.

I, for one, started listening to GNR when I was a kid - back when I couldn't speak English yet [it is not my native language, fyi]. They were attractive to me back then because they looked cool and acted cool and played cool music [tho I didn't bother knowing what the lyrics are about back then].

When I started growing up, and learning English, I loved Axl's rants about how a life is one's own, and about always following your path, plans, dreams and intentions, leaving aside everybody who is not a part of the solution.

This gave me something to look up to, and something to believe in. To identify with.

Of course, these words might have been [and must have been, surely] said in numerous interviews, but they sounded -A LOT- cooler spoken during a public mass on an arena rock concert, followed by a 70,000 people chant.

The concerts I am referring to now were played when Axl was more or less my current age. I surely do not need Axl now to remind me that I should grow up in my own pace, and it would be rather irrelevant for me to know that Axl thinks my life is my own [neither do I need Bon Jovi, or anybody else to tell me that for that matter].

However, Axl is still twice as old as I am, and still has a lot of interesting things to say. I believe it would be ultra-super-cool of Axl to take a minute or five and let everybody know that in case of us being unhappy with our lives, we shouldn't be afraid of making big changes and turning the other cheek for criticism. Axl made a big decision regarding GNR, and I, for one, may compare it to being unhappy with my wife and letting her go, or leaving her. And never look back. I guess, Axl could kinda tell us if we should or shouldn't be afraid of doing that, since he has made choices relatively comparable.

He doesn't say much, tho, leaving us for reading in between the lines. And then he makes fun of people reading in between the lines too much. I feel is it rather impersonal of him to show up, play a show [note for note, song for song, for the most part] and leave without a word besides 'thank you for the exchange of money for fun'. That doesn't leave too much to back up the argument why I would follow this band for so long, spend so much money on it anytime I can, and why I still stick with it after so many years.

I really miss the ideology behind this band, except for - ' let's keep going around the world for 5 years straight, getting drunk and being loud. Which is, well, hey, still better than 'dissapear for 5 years and come back as nothing happened' kinda attitude. But in the late 80s Axl kinda despised such an approach to life. So what are we fighting for in 2014, goddamit? Who's "US" and who's "THEM" ?

On top of things,

Even a sucky rant beats listening to mid-tempo songs, such as Bad Obsession. Neither it is a ballad to experience some blues, nor a rocker to headbang to. So, sorry Slash. Probably used those five minutes to get a fix backstage anyhow, and only now complains.

Whaddya think? Do you miss the rants?

What do you identify with regarding GNR of the 21st century?

Or would you rather ignore the post?

Edited by whatashame
  • Like 2

I wasn't a fan or aware of the rants back in those days but I think in the last 2 yrs I've heard every rant he made so many times I know them word for word. I would love more of him chatting on stage, not necessarily a rant but telling exagerated stories like the woman who complained about working so couldn't go to the show & Axl used to be a real snot - not knowing she was actually talking to him.

Knowing him it was most likely embelished to be funny but the audience loved it, the interaction between him and the audience makes all the difference if you can understand what he says through the microphone.

One question for those who follow rock bands, did other artists rant like he did? Also why do we know so many of his sayings so well, they stick in your mind for some reason. Is it his gift of the gab or is everyone else like me, watches his rants over and over for amusement?

I wish someone would ask him what he thinks of his dive into the audience to grab that camera, the times he threw people out & yelled at them. Does he find it amusing now or does it still rile him he had to experience that which I imagine back then gave him bad press.

I loved Axl's rants. Miss them a lot! When I saw him in 2006 he didn't have any real rants, but he did have this story of an airport security thing.

Security guy: "You are going to be arrested" (Axl did this in a sort of Arnold Schwarzenegger accent)

Axl: "You're a fucking asshole!"

Cracked me up. :lol: He had a few mini rants that cracked me up that show.

Edited by username

Yes, I miss those rants! Rock4Eva: I remember going to other rock concerts in the early nineties and always finding it very strange the frontman/singer didn't rant :lol: So, no, none of the bands I saw back then did it.

I had tapes of various bootlegs back then and I enjoy watching those same rants on YouTube now.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard
Never understood why Slash [or Duff, Izzy or Matt] were so against them rants.
I find them to be an insight into the band's philosophy and the point of view.

Perhaps if four out of the five members were against them then they weren't an insight into the bands philosophy as much as Axls.

And to think that in 2002 he still was all up for ranting...

It, like all other things, has it's good and bad sides but at the end of the day I think the rants were more of a good thing than a bad one, and they give this air of authentic attitude and grit to the whole thing.

Like you might know the whole setlist of songs inside and out, but when the man goes off on a 5 minute angry tirade about something, it kind of brings you back into the moment and the now. In a cleaned up and sedated setlist you just kind of trail off with a 50 year old guy welcoming you back into the jungle of the early 80's LA scene with him. getting loaded up on the nightrain and making love to the rocket queen. its just bittersweet nostalgia rock n roll.

I think the rants should make a comeback if Axl can make the authentic, angry state of mind make a comeback.

maybe he is so much more happy now that it would just be fake for him and for everyone attending... oh well.

I listened to illusions 2 this morning,"Get in the ring".

Axl seems to have lost all the passion and when you don't care about anything there is nada to be upset about.

Axl is just so far gone,he does not have anything to say for a rant.

if he shows emotion,it's only bitterness about the past and fake positivity.

no more inspiring rants when it's nothing there.

this whole thing makes me sad."take control of your life","don't let anyone fuck with you"…..it's gone.

I agree with all of you. I miss them a lot. His rants gave this intense and dangerous touch to the shows especially as he also made eye-contact with the audience during his rants. I've seen him 8 times in the early 90s - up front at the barrier - and I won't forget those fiery eyes.

• Like 1

I liked them. They were an important part of the show... You expected a rant just as much as you expected them to play SCOM and WTTJ.

He did them up until about 2002, then he stopped. He did a few in 2006, but they're rarer and rarer now.

Don't know why, it seems like at this point he'd have a lot to talk about. The CD years, the failure of CD, the RnR HOF, people wanting a reunion, etc.

Sometimes you couldn't hear the rants at the shows because of where your seat was, or from the people near you screaming the entire time while he was talking. I think Rock in Rio he was audible only because he was speaking slowly for the translators. Springsteen used to do it way more, too. They said those "4 hour concerts" (which never happened until a year ago) were 2 and a half hours of music, 1 and a half of him talking, but the audience shushed people so they can hear him.

If you had great seats, you could hear it. If you didn't, you couldn't, and half the people are wasted and oblivious to what's being said.

The whole thing about him stage diving for the camera, he's lucky to be alive and not beaten to death if it was an outlaw gang taking pics and making the people around them miserable. It came off as "diva takes camera from a fan and creates riot".

Yeah, some of the stuff he said was kind of inspirational to some fans, but when you're there, it's like "get on to the next song because you sound like Charlie Brown's teacher".

We've talked about him just doing something like Rollins and do a tour telling stories. Scott Ian did it last year, I think you do have others considering it because it's easy money and have years of road stories to go into. Duff's way of doing it was interesting, kind of how Tyson did his, with some music in between (kind of the reverse, I guess).

Perhaps it's the rise of the Internet that has mostly put paid to the onstage rants. A lot of the time he was just blowing off steam I think, we all do it to an extent from time to time but next time you do imagine your words being filmed, uploaded in a hundred different places then analysed ad infinitum. Would you think twice? Sometimes rants are just that...rants. I know they got filmed and reported back in the day but no where near to the same extent. The Internet to a degree makes people more accountable for their thoughts and actions and I think this is why 'old' Axl is less visible. I imagine he still exists as leopards rarely change their spots. He is just hidden in plain sight.

I miss them because I enjoyed them in and of themselves, and I miss them because they indicate that Axl still has fire in the belly.

Oh really? Gee that's funny because you've also called Axl a diva for his rants too.

You never tire of being a little bitch, do you? :lol:

Yes, there are certain of his rants that overplay the woe is me, everyone is out ta get me card. I find some of those pathetic and cringeworthy. But I like many of them and, like I said, I think they show that he still has some passion.

• Like 1

Please stop with all the negativity and insults. I'm just here to discuss my favorite band, Guns n Roses with other fans.

I see now, so sometimes Axl's a diva and sometimes he's not, depending on whether you like his rant or not. Got it.

Please stop with all the negativity and insults. I'm just here to discuss my favorite band, Guns n Roses with other fans.

I see now, so sometimes Axl's a diva and sometimes he's not, depending on whether you like his rant or not. Got it.

Yes, you're right. My opinion on a given rant of Axl's changes when my opinion on a given rant changes. :lol: