"Going Down" 2 years later...

I think a few Slash solos and Axl on lead vocals and it would be like the Riad n the Bedouins of CD II. 

I think a few Slash solos and Axl on lead vocals and it would be like the Riad n the Bedouins of CD II. 

On 6/12/2016 at 3:02 AM, Rovim said:

Yeah it sucks. Not worthy. Doesn't sound truly Chinese. Tommy Stinson tune that wasn't good enough to be included on one of his solo albums.

I don't think it sucked and we don't really know what the rest of the Chinese leftovers sound like so maybe there is more in this direction? Or even if it's a one off song, it works.  It's got a similar vibe to me that the 1999 demos had. I'm a huge Tommy fan though and I'd love to see Tommy release it if Guns weren't doing anything with it. Tommy and Izzy have had the best solo careers of anyone in Guns in my opinion.  

13 hours ago, Sprite said:

I don't think it sucked and we don't really know what the rest of the Chinese leftovers sound like so maybe there is more in this direction? Or even if it's a one off song, it works.  It's got a similar vibe to me that the 1999 demos had. I'm a huge Tommy fan though and I'd love to see Tommy release it if Guns weren't doing anything with it. Tommy and Izzy have had the best solo careers of anyone in Guns in my opinion.  

Just sounds like it didn't work as a new Guns song to me. I really like his solo stuff, but compared to Chinese I thought this tune was weak. Didn't care for Bumble's lead work either and Axl's backing vocals felt out of place at times, though he did a few cool things there.

53 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Just sounds like it didn't work as a new Guns song to me. I really like his solo stuff, but compared to Chinese I thought this tune was weak. Didn't care for Bumble's lead work either and Axl's backing vocals felt out of place at times, though he did a few cool things there.

wonder why it was leaked?

Was it Tommy and Ron's parting shot?

Why did this leak and not other stuff? 

I always thought that deep down Going Down was a great song, but Bubmblefoot work on it was just fucking terrible. Also the production and overall sound of the demo we got don't suit it at all. Axl vocals all over would take it to another level

I'm overlooking production values and whatever Ron was doing. 

It's just a catchy tune. It paints a picture in the same way Sorry or Used to Love her does. 

I think if Slash added Safari guitar on it and Axl at least shared vocals with Tommy and Duff. If I was the producer I'd play them Glory Days by Bruce until the got it right. Or something off The Rising. 

9 hours ago, wasted said:

wonder why it was leaked?

Was it Tommy and Ron's parting shot?

Why did this leak and not other stuff? 

I wonder this too. Didn't Ron sort of confirm it's authenticity too by sending a tweet shortly after with the #goingdown hash tag? It sounds like a song off Village Gorilla Head which makes me think it started as a Tommy song and was GNR-ified. I think Ron did a great job and I really like the subtle backing vocals. It sounds like Tommy Stinson lyrics.  

Why did this one leak? Good question. It is sort of amazing that we got a decent quality version of that randomly but that 17 second Jackie Chan clip has been around for 15 years now and nothing. How would you feel if there were more CD-era songs in this style that Axl wants to release?

1 hour ago, Sprite said:

I wonder this too. Didn't Ron sort of confirm it's authenticity too by sending a tweet shortly after with the #goingdown hash tag? It sounds like a song off Village Gorilla Head which makes me think it started as a Tommy song and was GNR-ified. I think Ron did a great job and I really like the subtle backing vocals. It sounds like Tommy Stinson lyrics.  

Why did this one leak? Good question. It is sort of amazing that we got a decent quality version of that randomly but that 17 second Jackie Chan clip has been around for 15 years now and nothing. How would you feel if there were more CD-era songs in this style that Axl wants to release?

To me GNR hardly ever release a song that's the same, and with various guitarists and writers...Tommy is kind of the Izzy of the line up. He could write a song that adds some variety to the album. If he was still in the band maybe there'd be 2-3 of Tonmy's songs would be a popular decision. It would bring the punk element more central. 

As it was from Ron, then maybe we should read something into it. Ron also played Babe I'm gonna leave you leave. Dj and Tommy seemed to be sharing a joke at the Vegas Residency. Dj was let off the leash a little with solos. 

Around that time didn't someone in the GNR camp say the leak ruined everything? It's like they were going to release it but the leak just killed it. 

In another weird twist, the fans positive response to it's simple rock song might have made Axl think maybe the old guys could help me make a more hard rock album. While Dj got more hate than Buckethead. All speculation. Axl's quotes about how his falsetto didn't go over well also suggests he will probably throw that kind of thing out. 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2015 at 11:52 AM, wasted said:

If you have CDitis or other afflictions it is like an antidote. If only every TWAT was Going Down.

TWAT is one of the few songs from CD that non gnr fanatics talk about. I've seen it talked about in metalhammer and among fare-weather fans. Basically not a good example.

Going down is a good song, it's not great though. Probably in the same league as so fine. Nothing special but you can listen to it and not have to turn it off before the end.

it was a tommy solo song, featuring additional members of the Axl rose touring band. just a bunch of session musicians goofing around in the studio, without input by the sole remaining member of GNR.

It's not GNR by any stretch of the imagination

Edited by action

9 hours ago, action said:

it was a tommy solo song, featuring additional members of the Axl rose touring band. just a bunch of session musicians goofing around in the studio, without input by the sole remaining member of GNR.

?? Axl is on backing vocals.

13 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

I lost this when I upgraded my computer, but I liked it.  If anyone can help reunite me with this song, I would appreciate it.

Is it this one? I don't know for sure because I'm hearing it for the first time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 22frets said:

Is it this one? I don't know for sure because I'm hearing it for the first time.

Yes, this is it.  Thank you!

10 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

It's really boring.

The first half sounds like a Lies era track, the second half sounds like a Mats song. 

This reminded me more of Dead Flowers from Gilby's first solo record. 

Edited by DeadSlash