09/01/16 - Atlanta, GA - Phillips Arena

Powerage5

6 hours ago, GoBucky said:

This is pretty much the first tour that AC/DC did a lot of stadiums. They've pretty much been an arena or shed band over here. 

They are doing Arenas here as they have for years. Only difference is non major markets are selling out. At least I think they are but I haven't looked l. ACDC haven't played theaters since they were starting my out as a new band i would think. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

3 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

IN 2001 I saw ACDC with Snakepit the first concert I ever attended at Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, NJ. Never heard of them playing stadiums in the U.S. 

Now overseas is a different ball game. Megadeth plays stadiums overseas 

They played stadiums in the U.S. Last summer as part of this tour, as well as the tour before that. The arena shows are either places which didn't get a stadium show (pre and post Axl) as well as cities like NYC and Philly where they're coming around for a second loop. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goneshootin said:

They played stadiums in the U.S. Last summer as part of this tour, as well as the tour before that. The arena shows are either places which didn't get a stadium show (pre and post Axl) as well as cities like NYC and Philly where they're coming around for a second loop. 

I think they did some stadium shows for Stiff Upper Lip as well over here, though not as many as Europe. 

32 minutes ago, onurbayrak03 said:

is is just me or Axl uses his raspy MID RANGE voice  which sounds exactly like 90's at 3:37  and 3:52 ? holy fcuk i love this voice of him

Listen to Got Some Rock and Roll Thunder with Axl. Mid range rasp is still there when he wants to use it. The song is average at best but Axl is great on it and makes the song much better in my opinion.

4 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Still see some ACDC fans bitter about everything but the thing that gets me is some are more mad that the band sounds better. Standard tuning obviously helped but going back and watching videos of 2015 everything is just flat then. There's more energy now the sound kicks ass and they all sound great together. I can't believe some have the audacity to say this was better

Great post with the Thunderstruck comparisons. 

Up until now it hasn't bothered me at all that Axl has seemingly been holding back somewhat with Guns whilst giving 100% with Angus but to go from falsetto This I Love to this in a week is kinda insulting to Guns fans. I mean he's fucking singing better than '06 - '10 here which nobody could have possibly imagined would be the case in 2016. 

I'm still super happy for him it's just a pretty big drop-off in the deliberate power and rasp with Guns. 

35 minutes ago, Jordan Rose said:

Up until now it hasn't bothered me at all that Axl has seemingly been holding back somewhat with Guns whilst giving 100% with Angus but to go from falsetto This I Love to this in a week is kinda insulting to Guns fans. I mean he's fucking singing better than '06 - '10 here which nobody could have possibly imagined would be the case in 2016. 

I'm still super happy for him it's just a pretty big drop-off in the deliberate power and rasp with Guns. 

I think South America will see the best GNR vocals in a LONG time too and the AC/DC run will be seemingly done, and GNR will be his utterly

full focus! With Angus's work ethic rubbing off and his desire to be loved and rated again, I think GNR days are looking rosy! 
The most important thing about this side-project, is that we now know Axl STILL has it and can use it whenever he can be bothered

and that's something that's been debated for a decade, whether he can still sing like he used to....So many examples now that he CAN

but just with a bit of a more mature voice! Frankly, it's all rather stunning to me! What a fucking year so far! 

Here is Thunderstruck from Munich 2001:

Axl is a thousand times better than Brian. Just listen at the part from 1:55 (or the whole song, it's the same).

I can understand that acdc fans love Brian and all that, but it's getting a bit hilarious to say all those things about Axl's perfomances. :facepalm:

I also can't stand Brian's facial expressions and his moves.

Anyway, it's their right to think that that's not acdc anymore or to dislike Axl/dc,

but to say that Brian sings better than Axl? In which universe?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I mean, I still get it. I'm happy cause I love Axl, but if you're a die hard ACDC fan with no loyalty to Axl it is kind of a cluster fuck finish for theit career from a certain point of view.

Their last tour had the entire classic lineup. Then they lose their founder to dementia, their classic drummer to bat shit insanity, and finally, their beloved singer of 30+ years because of his health. It doesn't matter to some die hards how good Axl sounds or how good the band sounds, because to them, it isn't ACDC anymore. It's the same situation as NUGNR, almost. You have 2/5ths the classic lineup, which as of only a few years ago, still existed. 

Now, I love ACDC, but I am not a crazy fan. For me, it's great to see Axl killing it with them. Next friday will be my 3rd ACDC show and my first with Axl. I am psyched, but I still totally get why a large portion of their fan base isnt. I wouldn't be happy if this happened to Axl, afterall.

I get it too, I'd hate to see gnr with out Axl, but from a purely technical portion Axl/DC sounds better, instrumental, energy, and vocals. 

I think alot of the bitterness comes from the fact that since Axl joined there's been new setlist, and the band is just playing better. It's like watching your ex hook up with someone way hotter. It hurts, but again I'm not speaking from a purist stand point just technically I've noticed everyone sounds better after watching old videos. 

2 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

This is definitely a super Axl we are seeing. I'd love for him to do this with Guns but if he has a drop off like he did from 2010-2011 then it's not worth it. I'm not sure he could sustain this level of singing for let's say 90+ shows. So it's likely better he doesn't do this with Guns.

Although as long as his technique is right his voice will be ok. He's just strengthening his vocal chords so they can withstand being pushed to this level. Hells Bells is the only song I hear that takes his voice so high it might be punishing long term. 

7 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Angus mentioned it a bit in one of the interviews where he said Axl would play parts of the song and show them they had been doing their own material wrong for years. 

Eh, I don't think that's what they meant at all. I think they were talking about coming into a bit of confusion in the initial rehearsal because Axl had, understandably, learned all the material from the studio versions whereas some of the live arrangements have been tightened up and changed over the years, so it was a case of Axl tweaking what he had learned and getting the live cues correct (like Back in Black, for example, not having the long outro it does in the studio version). Literally nothing has changed in the songs from before Axl joined to after, save for tuning back to standard.

Another think that possibly threw Angus off is that Axl learned every single Brian embellishment in the choruses, whereas Brian would simplify or drop some of them all together. It was probably strange hearing some of those extra vocal bits again considering they've kept the core set the same for about 25 years now and therefore had grown accustomed to the way Brian sang the songs live. Perfect example is Brian cutting the "Ba-ha-ha-ha-ack" short in the choruses of Back in Black to simply "Ba-ha-hack, mama." It had absolutely nothing to do with playing their material wrong, just stuff that had been tweaked or changed for the live setting - in Brian's case, probably in the interest of breathing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordan Rose said:

Definitely not on Rosie

it's still good but it's much cleaner

1 hour ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

Here is Thunderstruck from Munich 2001:

Axl is a thousand times better than Brian. Just listen at the part from 1:55 (or the whole song, it's the same).

I can understand that acdc fans love Brian and all that, but it's getting a bit hilarious to say all those things about Axl's perfomances. :facepalm:

I also can't stand Brian's facial expressions and his moves.

Anyway, it's their right to think that that's not acdc anymore or to dislike Axl/dc,

but to say that Brian sings better than Axl? In which universe?

Honestly, I think that's one of the best performances of Thunderstruck from anytime after The Razor's Edge tour. 

The thing about vocals is they're a lot more subjective than any other instrument. Timbre and tone have a lot to do with that; something that may sound great to one person can sound terrible to another. Geddy Lee is an excellent example; on a purely technical level, he's a great vocalist. But that doesn't change the fact that I probably see more people complaining about his voice than any other vocalist in rock - so many people say they find his vocals too screechy. And my retort is, let's hear you belt out something like Bastille Day or Cygnus X-1 without screeching, and still make it fit the song. I don't say this a lot because people usually just end up assuming I'm sexist, but I really hate female rock singers. I know it's bad to generalize, but I've never found one I like - their voices always seem too thin to suit the music. That doesn't mean there's not technically good female vocalists out there. 

I don't think hardly anyone would argue that a 2016 Brian Johnson is a better vocalist than a 2016 Axl Rose. But you take Brian in his prime in the early 80's, or even his small resurgence for The Razor's Edge tour, and he could go toe-to-toe with Axl IMO:

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Honestly, I think that's one of the best performances of Thunderstruck from anytime after The Razor's Edge tour. 

The thing about vocals is they're a lot more subjective than any other instrument. Timbre and tone have a lot to do with that; something that may sound great to one person can sound terrible to another. Geddy Lee is an excellent example; on a purely technical level, he's a great vocalist. But that doesn't change the fact that I probably see more people complaining about his voice than any other vocalist in rock - so many people say they find his vocals too screechy. And my retort is, let's hear you belt out something like Bastille Day or Cygnus X-1 without screeching, and still make it fit the song. I don't say this a lot because people usually just end up assuming I'm sexist, but I really hate female rock singers. I know it's bad to generalize, but I've never found one I like - their voices always seem too thin to suit the music. That doesn't mean there's not technically good female vocalists out there. 

I don't think hardly anyone would argue that a 2016 Brian Johnson is a better vocalist than a 2016 Axl Rose. But you take Brian in his prime in the early 80's, or even his small resurgence for The Razor's Edge tour, and he could go toe-to-toe with Axl IMO

I agree that vocals is a subjective thing and I'm sure that Brian Johnson was a lot better in the past than now.

But I think that to say that Axl destroyed the band or act like Axl is the worst singer ever is not subjective but biased.

And one other thing I don't understand:

many acdc fans would rather a cover band's singer instead of Axl.

So, take a guy that sings exactlly like your favourite singer, dresses like him, looks exactly the same, walks the same way,

makes the same expressions and pretend you watch Brian Johnson and all is fine.

Isn't this a disrespect to him?

This is meant to be a rock show, not 'your face sounds familiar'.

9 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Still see some ACDC fans bitter about everything but the thing that gets me is some are more mad that the band sounds better. Standard tuning obviously helped but going back and watching videos of 2015 everything is just flat then. There's more energy now the sound kicks ass and they all sound great together. I can't believe some have the audacity to say this was better

poor Brian is already suffering from his hearing problems, the sound is awful, it's a mediocre version of thunderstruck and yet there are still ACDC fans swearing it was way better when Brian was in the band. 

Everything's improved and honestly as crazy as it seems I think Axl had a lot to do with the sound of the band improving. (Outside of vocals) Ive said this before but Axl has an incredible ear for music, he knows when something is off, and I think he woke Angus up to a lot of the smaller details that had become routine for him.

I think Angus mentioned it a bit in one of the interviews where he said Axl would play parts of the song and show them they had been doing their own material wrong for years. 

Maybe that's a risky move but if you're Axl Rose you can do this, and maybe Angus had some respect for Axl being that detailed. 

IMO this is an improved ACDC from 2015, and Axl may have played a larger role in the overall improvement than simply adding vocals. 

In a way I feel them. Brian is "their singer".. They are obviously connected with him, so they can't see some things in an objective view.

Axl brought so much energy in this band and they sound so damn tight like playin' for years. It will be a shame not to see a live album at least.

47 minutes ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

I agree that vocals is a subjective thing and I'm sure that Brian Johnson was a lot better in the past than now.

But I think that to say that Axl destroyed the band or act like Axl is the worst singer ever is not subjective but biased.

And one other thing I don't understand:

So, take a guy that sings exactlly like your favourite singer, dresses like him, looks exactly the same, walks the same way,

makes the same expressions and pretend you watch Brian Johnson and all is fine.

Isn't this a disrespect to him?

This is meant to be a rock show, not 'your face sounds familiar'.

Then you have idiots like Breuer who want Dave Grohl bc they feel he would be more respectable and give thanks to Brian every show. 

Part of it is ACDC fans feel they lost their band but a big part of it is Axl Rose replaced their favorite singer. So I agree it would suck to have this happen to your band, but they didn't fire Brian. He just can't perform on this tour anymore. 

I guess in the end everyone is just jumping the gun. Axl is here to finish the tour, nothing more yet. But if you're an ACDC fan and the band has to continue then Axl is a legitimate song writer and singer which makes him the greatest artist you could have picked up as a band. 

It would be easier to swallow this situation if you're ACDC fan IMO. It's not like Brian was the original guy, he was a replacement, and so if it continues then Axl is your replacement to the replacement. I guess change is just hard especially after all these years. But people get old and it's amazing it's lasted this long.

• Like 2

As a massive ACDC fan I don't care that Brian isn't there anymore. If someone can do the job better so be it. Brian was not good. Axl is miles better i every aspect. I seen the band 4 times in 2015 and 4 in 2016 (with Axl) and the band in 2016 seemed refreshed younger and more into the music. Not just the vocals. Angus was allot better second time around. Anyone who bashes AXL/DC is in denial about Brians declining performances letting the ban down ! ACDC looked and sounded 15 years younger in 2016. I went with a friend who has seen the band 24 times 1978-2016 and he also thinks the same. Axls just killing it. Some ACDC fans are in denial. They sound like a band now that isn't just a nostalgic act on the final leg of their career. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

Then you have idiots like Breuer who want Dave Grohl bc they feel he would be more respectable and give thanks to Brian every show. 

Part of it is ACDC fans feel they lost their band but a big part of it is Axl Rose replaced their favorite singer. So I agree it would suck to have this happen to your band, but they didn't fire Brian. He just can't perform on this tour anymore. 

I guess in the end everyone is just jumping the gun. Axl is here to finish the tour, nothing more yet. But if you're an ACDC fan and the band has to continue then Axl is a legitimate song writer and singer which makes him the greatest artist you could have picked up as a band. 

It would be easier to swallow this situation if you're ACDC fan IMO. It's not like Brian was the original guy, he was a replacement, and so if it continues then Axl is your replacement to the replacement. I guess change is just hard especially after all these years. But people get old and it's amazing it's lasted this long.

Change may be hard and everyone can have his opinion after all. The way they (some of them) express those opinions is what I find annoying.

2 hours ago, WhenYou'reTalkinToYourself said:

Where exactly are these fans wishing for a cover band singer? Maybe when the Axl rumor first came out 6 months ago this may have been true, since Axl's bad reputation somewhat preceded him. I don't think you'll find many ac/dc fans clamoring for a cover band singer after seeing Axl's performances.