Tour Lithographs and show specific artwork

5 minutes ago, papalaz said:

Man, I do not disagree.  I've spent $1k on an authenticated Tom Waits autograph that I coulda got for nothing if I'd been standing at a different exit to Jones Theatre in Houston.  Was worth it to me.  I got a private message with an offer - would have been happy with a trade that worked for me.  If you were trying to flog your car and someone offered you more than what you thought it was worth would you say no? The person who bought the litho off me is genuinely over the moon that he's got it.   I might have made $150 dollars on the deal which I immediately sank on another litho in an event.

I can't fault you on it or anything, don't get me wrong. But you said you paid $500 for it and it's hard to imagine a frame and shipping being $400, I originally missed the part where 900 was the opening offer though, my bad there. Still, if I were the seller, I would've given the guy a deal or a free litho I had doubles of or something. I've only bought 2 lithos online, for the Vegas '16 shows, I overpaid a bit on the first but only by like $15-20 and it's like, ebay or whatever marketplace is a different game, I mean there's people here with varyingly impressive collections but there's more regular fans than hardcore collectors, I don't want to be ripping off other people who also just want a GNR poster on their wall y'know?

25 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I can't fault you on it or anything, don't get me wrong. But you said you paid $500 for it and it's hard to imagine a frame and shipping being $400, I originally missed the part where 900 was the opening offer though, my bad there. Still, if I were the seller, I would've given the guy a deal or a free litho I had doubles of or something. I've only bought 2 lithos online, for the Vegas '16 shows, I overpaid a bit on the first but only by like $15-20 and it's like, ebay or whatever marketplace is a different game, I mean there's people here with varyingly impressive collections but there's more regular fans than hardcore collectors, I don't want to be ripping off other people who also just want a GNR poster on their wall y'know?

You seem like a reasonable man (and you seem to like George Orwell 👍, who lived near me in London) and so cannot disagree with you.  Frame and mount (with UV conservation pvc) cost about $150 and shipping was about $100 (shipping part was only $40 but paid for insurance in case it went awol or got damaged).  I took the hit on shipping/insurance and PayPal fees even though the buyer offered to pay.  Am not out to rip other people off and it's important to note that different people have different conceptions of value.   Unrelated but  I've just paid $400 for a poster that I could've got for $60 if I'd been arsed to queue and carry around during the concert.  Don't begrudge paying a tax for convenience sake but I appreciate that others might disagree.

Edited by papalaz
Clarification

34 minutes ago, papalaz said:

You seem like a reasonable man (and you seem to like George Orwell 👍, who lived near me in London) and so cannot disagree with you.  Frame and mount (with UV conservation pvc) cost about $150 and shipping was about $100 (shipping part was only $40 but paid for insurance in case it went awol or got damaged).  I took the hit on shipping/insurance and PayPal fees even though the buyer offered to pay.  Am not out to rip other people off and it's important to note that different people have different conceptions of value.   Unrelated but  I've just paid $400 for a poster that I could've got for $60 if I'd been arsed to queue and carry around during the concert.  Don't begrudge paying a tax for convenience sake but I appreciate that others might disagree.

It's all good, I'm not trying to be rude or anything and I see that side. But there's people who are out to gouge others and that price definitely made it seem like that was the case, I still think it is a bit, but like I said I can't fault you for anything. But to be fair, I mean I've got a couple of rare items but am by no means a hardcore collector or trader so it's hard to gauge what 'fair price points' are when I see what some of these lithos go for... actually, seeing these litho prices over the last year is what made it a very easy decision to wait in line for mine, I was gonna line up early anyway to try to get the spot I wanted up front so I'd much rather spend 20-30 minutes in a merch line than spend $400 later.

(also, that's neat about him living near you, I've been meaning to re-read 1984 for a while but instead I just read the news, it's pretty much the same :lol:)

Edited by Gordon Comstock

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It's all good, I'm not trying to be rude or anything and I see that side. But there's people who are out to gouge others and that price definitely made it seem like that was the case, I still think it is a bit, but like I said I can't fault you for anything. But to be fair, I mean I've got a couple of rare items but am by no means a hardcore collector or trader so it's hard to gauge what 'fair price points' are when I see what some of these lithos go for... actually, seeing these litho prices over the last year is what made it a very easy decision to wait in line for mine, I was gonna line up early anyway to try to get the spot I wanted up front so I'd much rather spend 20-30 minutes in a merch line than spend $400 later.

(also, that's neat about him living near you, I've been meaning to re-read 1984 for a while but instead I just read the news, it's pretty much the same :lol:)

You haven't been even mildly rude which is refreshing.  I would wait in line for a litho, but I work as a lawyer and my firm charges me out at $1000 an hour (sounds vaguely pimpish).  It's easier for me to work and then pay a surcharge for the things I'd get if I had time to queue for.   Hit me up if you're ever in London and I'll take you past George's house near Hampstead Heath.   Have been to Seattle and Vancouver and they're both wonderful places.

7 minutes ago, papalaz said:

You haven't been even mildly rude which is refreshing.  I would wait in line for a litho, but I work as a lawyer and my firm charges me out at $1000 an hour (sounds vaguely pimpish).  It's easier for me to work and then pay a surcharge for the things I'd get if I had time to queue for.   Hit me up if you're ever in London and I'll take you past George's house near Hampstead Heath.   Have been to Seattle and Vancouver and they're both wonderful places.

Fair enough, different perspectives and priorities and all that.

I've always wanted to do a trip to Europe, haven't had the chance yet. Vancouver's nice if you don't live there, if you live there you're pissed off about something (housing usually), or stoned :lol:

lol

It seems this thread has degenerated several times into huge arguments between people that buy/sell these things for what the market bears, and others that seem to think they should be free to everyone.

(I guess from my snarky tone you can tell which side of the argument I'm on.)

Anyway....back on track.  We're hours away from a new GNR show and potentially some South American designs.  Have we ever confirmed that there were NO lithos for the SA shows in 2016?

Do we expect any this time?

I've never had a problem with people making a profit when there's an opportunity to make a profit. That's the sour (paying a premium) that comes with the sweet (the ability to get your hands on merch without having to physically be there). It stings a little when you're the one forking out the dough but take the opposite to its logical extreme: Only people who physically go to the show end up with merch. I don't want to live in a world like that, that's for sure! If it weren't for resellers, then I'm sure I would have never gotten my hands on plenty of the lithos in my collection.

But in a perfect world, I'd rather GNR sell them for a premium on their website. I mean, if I'm going to have to pay $150 or $200 online for a $50 litho, I think I'd rather GNR get my money. Then at least I don't have to roll the dice every time I have to trust some stranger to pack a litho correctly :P

14 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

We're hours away from a new GNR show and potentially some South American designs.  Have we ever confirmed that there were NO lithos for the SA shows in 2016?

There were no official lithos for the 15 shows from Leg 3 (Latin America). There were some "Rock in Rio" posters and promoter posters (think the Pirate poster for Miami or the weird skull poster for Tel Aviv) but those were not official tour lithos.

4 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Really?  Then that gets my vote for the laziest official lithograph hands down.  Nothing to do with the message or the cause, but jesus that thing must have been slapped together in MINUTES.   I'd be shocked if someone actually spent longer than 15 minutes designing that thing.

Well clearly it was only added within the six weeks between the shooting and the concert so I doubt they wanted to anything other than to show their support for the cause.

The design was really just incorporated into the stage entertainment first and then I guess somebody in marketing thought to make a litho out of it

Gs7jfee.jpg

22 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I know people spend stupid amounts on these lithos, but $900 is fucking insane.

If it's up on ebay then yea, up the price to whatever. But I've sold a couple lithos to people on here and only asked for what they cost me, I'd rather some other fan like me have a cool poster at cost than try to gouge someone for hundreds of dollars, that's pretty scummy.

And thanks very much my friend. The Gorge litho on my wall because of you looks fantastic with my Regina and Miami Vice posters.

• Like 1