"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

16 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@Len Cnut

Pssst! Watch Blade Runner The Final Cut, ya cunt.

Watched about half of it but I had some shit to do so its on hold, its alright so far, not bad, its at least visually entertaining, the opening sequence I remember from Film Studies, I really like the picture it paints of the future, just the look of it coupled with the soundtrack, has a sort of a Kraftwerk/Neu! type feel, though I'd be lying if I said its blowing my socks off or anything, I'll finish it though, perhaps tonight.

On 18.04.2019 at 12:04 PM, Oldest Goat said:

Big Lebowski

5/5

"Have you ever heard of Vietnam? You're entering a world of pain."

"We're gonna cut your dick off."

"You're killing your father."

"This is what happens, when you fuck a stranger in the ass!"

Every single line in this movie is brilliant. How have the Coens achieved that? Unbelievable.

And this is what I watched recently.

One of my favorite underrated gems.

4 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah the Coen bros are awesome.

I've never heard of this^ looks pretty good but I kind of wish I hadn't watched the trailer as it's guilty of the far too common crime of showing way too much.

Yeah, I know. But it's still a feast for the eyes. And Christopher Young's opening piece sets the mood brilliantly. The acting, the plot, cinematography, music - everything's perfect in this movie.

Too bad Kazan Jr. never directed again. And too fucking bad Hollywood wasted Madchen Amick's talent.

9 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Well let me know once you've watched all of it.

The sequel maintains the high standard of the presentation but unfortunately lacks the charm and philosophical romantic spirit of the original, so wouldn't recommend that. The Netflix show Altered Carbon is worth watching though.

Saw the rest, it was alright man, the ending was kind of the making of the film, that little speech by Rutger Hauer at the end, I knew he was out to shag that replicant bird from the first scene they had together, the mucky little sod.  

Tell me, what do you think of the film?  I’m struggling to understand why its considered such a classic though I can certainly see the mark of its influence so maybe thats the thing.  I see where Axl got ‘wake up, time to die’ from too.

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Saw the rest, it was alright man, the ending was kind of the making of the film, that little speech by Rutger Hauer at the end, I knew he was out to shag that replicant bird from the first scene they had together, the mucky little sod.  

Tell me, what do you think of the film?  I’m struggling to understand why its considered such a classic though I can certainly see the mark of its influence so maybe thats the thing.  I see where Axl got ‘wake up, time to die’ from too.

Blade Runner gets better each time you watch it. It is metaphysical. It is poetry. I understand about you hating sci-fi but you should make two exceptions: Metropolis and Blade Runner

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Blade Runner gets better each time you watch it. It is metaphysical. It is poetry. I understand about you hating sci-fi but you should make two exceptions: Metropolis and Blade Runner

Metropolis is class!

1 hour ago, Oldest Goat said:

Basically I think what @DieselDaisy thinks of it. It's flawless. Everything from the atmosphere to the music and sound to the punchy poetic dialogue is brilliant. I first watched it when I was in a really fucked up suicidal state too and found it inspiring. 

"I. Want. More. LIFE."

The opening panorama of dystopian Los Angeles with the spinner and Vangelis's (Glockenspiel or harpsichord?) music is one of my favourite scenes in a film ever - it immediately draws you in - the furnaces belting out plumes of fire, etc. But then there is so many stunning scenes in that film. 

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The opening panorama of dystopian Los Angeles with the spinner and Vangelis's (Glockenspiel or harpsichord?) music is one of my favourite scenes in a film ever - it immediately draws you in - the furnaces belting out plumes of fire, etc. But then there is so many stunning scenes in that film. 

That was the bit I remember from Film Studies, I must've watched that bit 40 fuckin' times.  Perhaps it didn't benefit from the academic dissecting of it before I'd even seen it properly.  I get all the things you said but like...it seemed like those themes, the most interesting aspects of it, were only hinted at, just like short bits of dialogue etc or thematic  things that, if you think about them, its there.  The film itself, the nuts and bolts of it, in a Hitchcockian sense, there's not a lot to it, other than just looking great, in the way Terminator looked great (but Terminator, plot-wise, structure-wise, the whole flow of it was also really entertaining). 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

That was the bit I remember from Film Studies, I must've watched that bit 40 fuckin' times.  Perhaps it didn't benefit from the academic dissecting of it before I'd even seen it properly.  I get all the things you said but like...it seemed like those themes, the most interesting aspects of it, were only hinted at, just like short bits of dialogue etc or thematic  things that, if you think about them, its there.  The film itself, the nuts and bolts of it, in a Hitchcockian sense, there's not a lot to it, other than just looking great, in the way Terminator looked great (but Terminator, plot-wise, structure-wise, the whole flow of it was also really entertaining). 

You know that bit was based on Middlesbrough right? :lol: I'm not even joking either. It's based on the site where I used to work.

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

You know that bit was based on Middlesbrough right? :lol: I'm not even joking either. It's based on the site where I used to work.

Fuck off :lol:  Based on Middlesborough :lol:

EDIT:

Well blow me down, its fuckin' true and all!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tees/content/articles/2009/03/30/tees_tf_blade_runner_feature.shtml

Edited by Len Cnut

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

They do that to Shakespeare and Dickens in school and it sucks all of the life out of them I feel.

You'll fucking kill me, but I love Blade Runner 2049 more. Both are masterpieces, but the Villeneuve one was (and still is) for me like a fist between the eyes. I've already seen this movie at least 10 times.

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Original=10/10

2049=6.5/10

It's all style no substance and rests too heavily on the laurels of the original. It should have been braver. I was rooting for it and gave it a fair chance.

I'd place 2049 at about 8-9.