Gracii Guns

British Politics

49 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Let's go beyond Trump for a minute because history didn't start in June of 2015. The trope of the coastal elite calling the flyover country people rubes and unsophisticated idiots has been going on in media and movies and on tv for decades. Then you get idiots like Rush Limbaugh stepping in to speak for the flyover people, but he's actually a fraud. He'll use rhetoric people in flyover country like, but then support the policies of the neoliberal plutocrats who own the media that started the whole cycle in the first place!

I'm just out here waiting for a third position that throws bombs at the media when necessary and actually advocates economic policies that would help middle and lower class people.

What you are describing here is the polarity between the coastal areas of the US and the inner regions, largely overlapping with the Democratic/Republican schism, and which is analogues to the southern vs northern polarity in England, both of which to a large extent really are aspects of the growing polarity between rural areas and urban areas. We see this all over the world. The largest exponent for maintaining this polarity on this forum is Diesel who never lets an opportunity go by to rant against urban Londoners while disparaging the terrible fate of northern fishermen. Basically it is a form of stereotyping and discrimination.

But we weren't really talking about this schism. We talked about people calling other people idiots not because of where they live but because of what they do, more specifically who they vote for. That is different. 

That being said, I would never refer to a Trump voter or a Boris Johnson voter as a moron. Nor someone voting for Brexit. Because I might be wrong.

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ouch. 

I’ve reflected. She’s on her period. :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Sure, but there will always be a substantial uncertainty is such analyses. I will await a new poll before concluding in any direction.

Hopefully, the majority has shifted towards Leave again because then Brexit will be properly anchored with the majority of the population. Worst case scenario is really a Brexit when current polls indicate that it is against the wish of the majority of the people. That would be unfortunate. And such a thing would be unfortunate regardless of what the issue is, Brexit or any other.

Q8.-Reasons-for-vote-768x1002.jpg

Q9.-Top-issues-706x1024.jpg

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Q8.-Reasons-for-vote-768x1002.jpg

Q9.-Top-issues-706x1024.jpg

Perfect, that demonstrates in numbers that Brexit wasn't the sole motivation behind people's voting, e.g. NHS/hospitals were the most important issue to voters. But most people would understand this immediately.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I suppose you really have the potential to learn something new every day: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_eugenics#United_Kingdom

From which the most important point to extrapolate is, ''sterilisation programmes were never legalised''!

According to the book I'm reading on the Third Reich, Norway sterilized 40,000.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Perfect, that demonstrates in numbers that Brexit wasn't the sole motivation behind people's voting, e.g. NHS/hospitals were the most important issue to voters. But most people would understand this immediately.

72% of Conservative voters cited ''Getting Brexit Done'' haha!

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

72% of Conservative voters cited ''Getting Brexit Done'' haha!

Meaning that 28 % didn't which proves my point that a large share of those that voted for the Tories didn't do it because of Brexit, which indicates that you cannot use the election results directly as a Brexit poll. It isn't as simply as your brain would like it.

13 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Meaning that 28 % didn't which proves my point that a large share of those that voted for the Tories didn't do it because of Brexit, which indicates that you cannot use the election results directly as a Brexit poll. It isn't as simply as your brain would like it.

Look Soul, I don't want to leave and think this will be a disaster.

However it's over. It doesn't matter how a second referendum would have went, because there won't be one.

This isn't an argument worth having. If people wanted a second referendum, they should have voted Labour. Not enough people did.

5 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

If people wanted a second referendum, they should have voted Labour. Not enough people did.

Definitely. 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Thus in Soul Monster logic 28% is a ''large share'' whereas 72% most certainly isn't!

16 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The London millionaire luvvies, the vacuous celebrities and Momentum Twitterati, hideous people like Hugh Grant, Steve Coogen, Irving Walsh and Gary Lineker, have to realise that telling people they're ''ignorant'', ''misinformed'', ''racist'' or worse (''gammon'') simply because they have a different opinion on the European Union to them, is not conducive to democratic debate, and I suspect deeply damaged their own cause in that Brexiteers become more entrenched having seen their opinions and personalities so belittled on social media and liberal platforms such as the BBC and Guardian. I bet a good percentage of Boris's vote consisted of people such as this. 

Oi, I’ll not hear a word against Steve Coogan and Irvine Welsh! :lol: 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

Oi, I’ll not hear a word against Steve Coogan and Irvine Welsh! :lol: 

Utter wankstains.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

boris.jpg

Got Brexit Done.

Its miles away from being done. When we leave that's just the start.

10 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

Its miles away from being done. When we leave that's just the start.

What idiocy is this? When we have left the European Union, Brexit is - quite literally done!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

What idiocy is this? When we have left the European Union, Brexit is - quite literally done!

This is just the beginning of the end. After January 31 starts at least a year of negotiations with the EU. Probably more than one year. 

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

This is just the beginning of the end. After January 31 starts at least a year of negotiations with the EU. Probably more than one year. 

Irrespective of the future relations, Brexit, i.e., Britain's withdrawal from the European Union, will literally be done. If Boris negotiates a liberal trade deal, or if we go out on no deal in eleven months' time, Brexit will still be done. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Utter wankstains.

I'm presuming from this that he's a Corbyn kiddie?  Or rather they are Corbyn kiddies.  I'm not sure about either of their politics but if someone like Coogan is a Corbyn kiddie do you not think there's something admirable about a rich fucker wanting to vote for someone whoose more than like gonna tax fuckin' shit out of him?  Thats putting your money where your mouth is a bit don't you think, possibly?

I quite like the way Mick Jagger talks about Brexit, very slick, very non-commital, never really giving much away.  'Its a complex issue', yeah, cheers Mick :lol:

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm presuming from this that he's a Corbyn kiddie?  Or rather they are Corbyn kiddies.  I'm not sure about either of their politics but if someone like Coogan is a Corbyn kiddie do you not think there's something admirable about a rich fucker wanting to vote for someone whoose more than like gonna tax fuckin' shit out of him?  Thats putting your money where your mouth is a bit don't you think, possibly?

I quite like the way Mick Jagger talks about Brexit, very slick, very non-commital, never really giving much away.  'Its a complex issue', yeah, cheers Mick :lol:

More a patronising centrist.

Edited by DieselDaisy

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

What i meant cue ball is in the sense that an appointment to have your leg amputated is the date your leg is gone but the physio resulting from it learning to get around etc will take a lot longer.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Whys he posted a picture of some tart eating fried tomatos, bacon and sausages?

Its his darling Priti. Hard to recognize her when shes smiling. Joy looks scary on her - I prefer the Darth Vader Priti. :lol:

7 hours ago, soon said:

Its his darling Priti. Hard to recognize her when shes smiling. Joy looks scary on her - I prefer the Darth Vader Priti. :lol:

It is Priti enjoying a full English with some massive sausages, in delight having destroyed both Corbynism and Remainism. If that is not a turn-on, I don't know what is...?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

What i meant cue ball is in the sense that an appointment to have your leg amputated is the date your leg is gone but the physio resulting from it learning to get around etc will take a lot longer.

If the withdrawal agreement is passed on the 31st January 2020, then the transitional period will last until the 31st December 2020. 

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is Priti enjoying a full English with some massive sausages, in delight having destroyed both Corbynism and Remainism. If that is not a turn-on, I don't know what is...?

Hot chicks eating breakfast is sexy. On that we agree. :robin:

Corbynism, in the sense that the conversation has successfully been pushed to the left, is here to stay. :axl92:

1 minute ago, soon said:

Hot chicks eating breakfast is sexy. On that we agree. :robin:

Corbynism, in the sense that the conversation has successfully been pushed to the left, is here to stay. :axl92:

There will be a civil war in the Labour party between Corbynites/Momentum and the Blairites.