The Original Xbox

James Bond

Let's show some love. It may not have had the mass appeal or sales of the PS2 or the elite following of the Gamecube, but Microsoft's entry into the console wars is aging quite gracefully.

Back then, I had a PS2 but a friend of mine had the Xbox. I was never much for brand loyalty so the Xbox definitely impressed me with its graphics, built in hard drive, and more comfortable controller (the Controller S, anyways). That started my preference with the Xbox controller set-up. Still, I was satisfied with the PS2 and only sold it later on to fund my Xbox 360 (although thanks to a friend I ended up with another PS2 and handful of games later).

Of course, the PS2 looks like shit on modern TVs. This is where the Xbox came in - with the Microsoft component cable for the system, nearly every game outputs 480p with some even offering 720p and 1080i. Most also support widescreen. I recently bought one for $30 with two controllers and the game collection I've been building has been extremely inexpensive. I'm about $100 into it with the console, component HD adapter, 11 games, and four controllers. The games are dirt cheap right now so collect while you can. Vice City actually looks pretty darn good blown up on my TV now compared to its PS2 counterpart. Most of the games I enjoy weren't exclusives so re-collecting them on the Xbox has been a treat.

I never finished re-building my PS2 collection so I picked a good time to do this.

Any more love for the original Xbox?

• Like 1

I have a softmodded xbox that I still use every now and then to play some of my favorites (Conker's Bad Fur Day mainly). Having it now with the component cables, its certainly interesting to play some games in actual 720p (Fifa 07, Fifa Street, True Crime Streets of LA being the only ones that ive tried out). I also play some PS1 games on it every noe and then with an emulator.

Its a beast of an emulating machine.

Shoutout to the devs at https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk for keeping XBMC for it as updated as they can.

Edited by Mendez

14 hours ago, James Bond said:

Let's show some love. It may not have had the mass appeal or sales of the PS2 or the elite following of the Gamecube, but Microsoft's entry into the console wars is aging quite gracefully.

Back then, I had a PS2 but a friend of mine had the Xbox. I was never much for brand loyalty so the Xbox definitely impressed me with its graphics, built in hard drive, and more comfortable controller (the Controller S, anyways). That started my preference with the Xbox controller set-up. Still, I was satisfied with the PS2 and only sold it later on to fund my Xbox 360 (although thanks to a friend I ended up with another PS2 and handful of games later).

Of course, the PS2 looks like shit on modern TVs. This is where the Xbox came in - with the Microsoft component cable for the system, nearly every game outputs 480p with some even offering 720p and 1080i. Most also support widescreen. I recently bought one for $30 with two controllers and the game collection I've been building has been extremely inexpensive. I'm about $100 into it with the console, component HD adapter, 11 games, and four controllers. The games are dirt cheap right now so collect while you can. Vice City actually looks pretty darn good blown up on my TV now compared to its PS2 counterpart. Most of the games I enjoy weren't exclusives so re-collecting them on the Xbox has been a treat.

I never finished re-building my PS2 collection so I picked a good time to do this.

Any more love for the original Xbox?

the gamecube, using the official RGB cable, doesnt look too shabby on modern tv's either.

8ANCQ5G.jpg

f zero GX in widescreen, with RGB looks like a ps3 game.

luckily, the gamecube still had most of the third party games. stuff like turok evolution, blood omen 2, rocky, LOTR, enter the matrix, the 007 games, the star wars games, timesplitters...

i never had an original xbox myself, i always had the sony + nintendo combo. now i wish i had though. the PS2 looks like cack these days.

Edited by action

9 hours ago, action said:

the gamecube, using the official RGB cable, doesnt look too shabby on modern tv's either.

8ANCQ5G.jpg

f zero GX in widescreen, with RGB looks like a ps3 game.

luckily, the gamecube still had most of the third party games. stuff like turok evolution, blood omen 2, rocky, LOTR, enter the matrix, the 007 games, the star wars games, timesplitters...

i never had an original xbox myself, i always had the sony + nintendo combo. now i wish i had though. the PS2 looks like cack these days.

Yes shout out to the Gamecube future proofing itself as well.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-10-28 at 1:37 AM, AxlisOld said:

PS2 has component output. Some games run 720p and 1080i. PS2 still wins.

That list is far smaller. Many top A-list PS2 titles won't even run 480p let alone anything greater. You get a slightly improved visual but the jitteriness continues. It's especislly noticeable on a title like San Andreas.

Xbox still wins. ;)

• 3 months later...

Best console of its generation, followed by the Gamecube, then the Dreamcast. The PS2 can suck an egg. It sold because (at that time) it was an inexpensive DVD player. It was cheaper than buying an actual DVD player. I view the PS2 as a gimmick system (similar to the Wii), not a true gaming system. Also it has aged the WORST of this generation, which only proves my point. Sony's greatest achievement in the video game market (based on sales I'm talking) was due to a dvd player, NOT because of gaming.

9 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

A fair point but the PS2 still had some awesome games.

It did have some pretty good games. I'm selling it a little short in that reguard, because I don't like Sony 😃

Having said that, I don't hear people say "I still play Grand Theft Auto 2" and other PS2 (and PS1 for that matter) big guns. But Halo 1 and 2 still stand up well today. As do quite a few GameCube games.

14 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Kingdom Hearts was probably my favourite PS2 game. I will be so fucking hard if we get HD collections of Kingdom Hearts, Crash Bandicoot and Spyro on the Switch.

They did have a few I suppose. I just don't like Sony 😃 

They helped kill Sega imo ☹

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-02-18 at 9:51 AM, Iron MikeyJ said:

It did have some pretty good games. I'm selling it a little short in that reguard, because I don't like Sony 😃

Having said that, I don't hear people say "I still play Grand Theft Auto 2" and other PS2 (and PS1 for that matter) big guns. But Halo 1 and 2 still stand up well today. As do quite a few GameCube games.

I still play the old GTA titles, but the Xbox versions of course. ;) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...