James Bond

The Original Xbox

Let's show some love. It may not have had the mass appeal or sales of the PS2 or the elite following of the Gamecube, but Microsoft's entry into the console wars is aging quite gracefully.

Back then, I had a PS2 but a friend of mine had the Xbox. I was never much for brand loyalty so the Xbox definitely impressed me with its graphics, built in hard drive, and more comfortable controller (the Controller S, anyways). That started my preference with the Xbox controller set-up. Still, I was satisfied with the PS2 and only sold it later on to fund my Xbox 360 (although thanks to a friend I ended up with another PS2 and handful of games later).

Of course, the PS2 looks like shit on modern TVs. This is where the Xbox came in - with the Microsoft component cable for the system, nearly every game outputs 480p with some even offering 720p and 1080i. Most also support widescreen. I recently bought one for $30 with two controllers and the game collection I've been building has been extremely inexpensive. I'm about $100 into it with the console, component HD adapter, 11 games, and four controllers. The games are dirt cheap right now so collect while you can. Vice City actually looks pretty darn good blown up on my TV now compared to its PS2 counterpart. Most of the games I enjoy weren't exclusives so re-collecting them on the Xbox has been a treat.

I never finished re-building my PS2 collection so I picked a good time to do this.

Any more love for the original Xbox?

• Like 1

I loved my Xbox. As a student we used to play the Rocky game for hours on end. Halo co op was also amazing. It was so much better than the PS2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

I loved my Xbox. As a student we used to play the Rocky game for hours on end. Halo co op was also amazing. It was so much better than the PS2. 

hot damn that rocky game was awesome af

statue rocky ftw

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, action said:

hot damn that rocky game was awesome af

statue rocky ftw

I've still got a copy but nothing to play it on. :lol:

Edited by Dazey

I have a softmodded xbox that I still use every now and then to play some of my favorites (Conker's Bad Fur Day mainly). Having it now with the component cables, its certainly interesting to play some games in actual 720p (Fifa 07, Fifa Street, True Crime Streets of LA being the only ones that ive tried out). I also play some PS1 games on it every noe and then with an emulator.

Its a beast of an emulating machine.

Shoutout to the devs at https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk for keeping XBMC for it as updated as they can.

Edited by Mendez

14 hours ago, James Bond said:

Let's show some love. It may not have had the mass appeal or sales of the PS2 or the elite following of the Gamecube, but Microsoft's entry into the console wars is aging quite gracefully.

Back then, I had a PS2 but a friend of mine had the Xbox. I was never much for brand loyalty so the Xbox definitely impressed me with its graphics, built in hard drive, and more comfortable controller (the Controller S, anyways). That started my preference with the Xbox controller set-up. Still, I was satisfied with the PS2 and only sold it later on to fund my Xbox 360 (although thanks to a friend I ended up with another PS2 and handful of games later).

Of course, the PS2 looks like shit on modern TVs. This is where the Xbox came in - with the Microsoft component cable for the system, nearly every game outputs 480p with some even offering 720p and 1080i. Most also support widescreen. I recently bought one for $30 with two controllers and the game collection I've been building has been extremely inexpensive. I'm about $100 into it with the console, component HD adapter, 11 games, and four controllers. The games are dirt cheap right now so collect while you can. Vice City actually looks pretty darn good blown up on my TV now compared to its PS2 counterpart. Most of the games I enjoy weren't exclusives so re-collecting them on the Xbox has been a treat.

I never finished re-building my PS2 collection so I picked a good time to do this.

Any more love for the original Xbox?

the gamecube, using the official RGB cable, doesnt look too shabby on modern tv's either.

8ANCQ5G.jpg

f zero GX in widescreen, with RGB looks like a ps3 game.

luckily, the gamecube still had most of the third party games. stuff like turok evolution, blood omen 2, rocky, LOTR, enter the matrix, the 007 games, the star wars games, timesplitters...

i never had an original xbox myself, i always had the sony + nintendo combo. now i wish i had though. the PS2 looks like cack these days.

Edited by action

9 hours ago, action said:

the gamecube, using the official RGB cable, doesnt look too shabby on modern tv's either.

8ANCQ5G.jpg

f zero GX in widescreen, with RGB looks like a ps3 game.

luckily, the gamecube still had most of the third party games. stuff like turok evolution, blood omen 2, rocky, LOTR, enter the matrix, the 007 games, the star wars games, timesplitters...

i never had an original xbox myself, i always had the sony + nintendo combo. now i wish i had though. the PS2 looks like cack these days.

Yes shout out to the Gamecube future proofing itself as well.

• Like 1

I remember when Xbox was announced I thought that would never take off. Then Halo came out. I have been using Xbox ever since. If I had the money I'd do PC, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PS4. 

16 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I remember when Xbox was announced I thought that would never take off. Then Halo came out. I have been using Xbox ever since. If I had the money I'd do PC, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch and PS4. 

So you started with CE? What do you think of 4 and 5?