Your view, right now

SoulMonster

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

No, only visiting as part of my job. Only been there on a short trip before. Came in late at night and stayed at a hotel as taken out of The Shining, had a meeting, ate at a good Mexican and left in the late afternoon. Tomorrow I will fly in for a meeting for just a few hours and then leave again. But I asked if we could have a car meeting this time, just driving around and talking, so I get to see some more this time. So I look forward to that.

Hope to come back in the summer and look for fossils :) Seems like a nice city, though, with beautiful surroundings. It really makes a poignant point about the vastness of USA, you have this city in the middle of nowhere, really. You can drive to SanFran in 10 hours (or was it 14) and to Reno in 2 (or was it more), but really it is just an oasis in nothingness.

The Shining huh? Which hotel was that?...will make it a point never to stay there! :lol:

But yeah its a great little city. Love the Trax system for getting around cheaply. People are nice and lovely views all around. 

4 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

The Shining huh? Which hotel was that?...will make it a point never to stay there! :lol:

But yeah its a great little city. Love the Trax system for getting around cheaply. People are nice and lovely views all around. 

Uhm, a Marriott near the University campus. I was there just before Christmas and it was just dead. Big open spaces but no people. Echo and wall-to-wall carpeting. And the backdrop of snowy mountains. Just eerie. 

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Uhm, a Marriott near the University campus. I was there just before Christmas and it was just dead. Big open spaces but no people. Echo and wall-to-wall carpeting. And the backdrop of snowy mountains. Just eerie. 

Yeah I stay on campus, but at the U of U guest house which always has a lot of people. I can see why that quiet Marriott was creepy! Good to know! 

On 08/01/2019 at 1:43 AM, SoulMonster said:

Oh shit man, how cool is that?  Is it still just like the movie?  Do you get to walk around and shit, all the hallways and that big creepy kitchen and all that?  Does it have that maze?!  Oh and the ballroom and the bar!  I woulda gone around asking for the caretaker!

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Oh shit man, how cool is that?  Is it still just like the movie?  Do you get to walk around and shit, all the hallways and that big creepy kitchen and all that?  Does it have that maze?!  Oh and the ballroom and the bar!  I woulda gone around asking for the caretaker!

It wasn't the hotel from the Shining, just one that reminded me of it. 

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

The hotel used for the external shots in The Shining is in Oregon but all the inside scenes were filmed on set in the UK.

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

The hotel used for the external shots in The Shining is in Oregon but all the inside scenes were filmed on set in the UK.

It did cross my mind at the time that it was snowy as fuck in that film and unless TV has been lying to me Salt Lake City ain't somewhere that gets a lot of snow.  Oregon, that makes sense, thats like up the top innit, Alaska ways almost, First Blood country. 

49 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Was he talking about the film or the book?

The film.  https://www.indiewire.com/2016/02/stephen-king-says-stanley-kubricks-the-shining-is-like-a-big-beautiful-cadillac-with-no-engine-inside-it-83995/

Anyway, I just read that next year a follow up on The Shining is coming out with Ewan McGregor as Danny Torrance based on King's novel Doctor Sleep, which is about Danny in his adult years. I quite enjoyed the book, so I'm curious to see if this adaptation will be better than what Kubrick did to The Shining.

Edited by EvanG

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

The film.  https://www.indiewire.com/2016/02/stephen-king-says-stanley-kubricks-the-shining-is-like-a-big-beautiful-cadillac-with-no-engine-inside-it-83995/

Anyway, I just read that next year a follow up of The Shining is coming out with Ewan McGregor as Danny Torrance based on King's novel Doctor Sleep, which is about Danny in his adult years. I quite enjoyed the book, so I'm curious to see if this adaptation will be better than what Kubrick did to The Shining.

I see what he means but I don't agree, I just think the visuals are kinda overpowering, a lot of Kubricks work is like that though.  I had no idea there was a book called Dr Sleep or an upcoming film, I'd be interested to see that.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I see what he means but I don't agree, I just think the visuals are kinda overpowering, a lot of Kubricks work is like that though.  I had no idea there was a book called Dr Sleep or an upcoming film, I'd be interested to see that.

I kinda agree with what he says, it's not a terrible film, but there seems to be something missing.

I read Doctor Sleep years ago. I like King, but sometimes he completely ruins the ending of his novels, but I remember that I liked Doctor Sleep from beginning to end. Compared to the book it will probably be disappointing anyway, that's how it usually is with adaptations.