Guns N' Roses & related STUDIO SESSIONS - a definitive collection of available info (?)

Great work zombux!!!

Here some additional info on "Shadow Of Your Love":

Slash (summer '85): We rehearsed every day, working up songs that we knew and liked from one another's bands, like "Move To The City" and "Reckless Life", which were written by some version or another of Hollywood Rose. [...] After three nights we had a fully realized set that also included "Don't Cry" and "Shadow Of Your Love" [...] we decided that after three rehearsals, we were ready for a tour.

Slash: We did one session with [Mike Clink] and recorded "Shadow Of Your Love", which was the best song in the set the first time I saw Hollywood Rose. Our version of it didn't make the album, but it was eventually released on a Japanese EP.

Both quotes are taken from Slash's book. It shows that their memories aren't always right since the Clink version of the song made it on AFD 2018.

It would be awesome to have a website with these infos gathered in one place. Like a timeline or stuff. I have a ton of song info from back in the days when GnRSource.com was running. Maybe (if input is needed and wanted) I can help out.

@MJ23 thanks for the quote. altough with that 85 quote I rather think those were rehearsals, not demo sessions - I think I have to consider making some distinction of demos from rehearsals in the list... Mates Rehearsal 89 is already there. and I think also Hollywood Rose rehearsal (from Metal Sludge) will have to be there...

yes, the Clink's SOYL is very different from the Jungle EP :) 

You are right with the rehearsal.

Back then I included every piece of info I could gather to each song. Along with the interviews, bootlegs, demos and official releases I thought I could paint a very detailed picture of the songs. But from time to time things pop up and embarrass me ;)

• Like 1

If rehearsals are to be included, there is also the recorded rehearsal (Don't Cry, Anything Goes, Think About You) of "proto-GnR" (Tracii Guns-Rob Gardner lineup) that was played on the recently surfaced radio interview from March 1985.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

If rehearsals are to be included, there is also the recorded rehearsal (Don't Cry, Anything Goes, Think About You) of "proto-GnR" (Tracii Guns-Rob Gardner lineup) that was played on the recently surfaced radio interview from March 1985.

I think I'll include at least some of the rehearsals, yes. I'll review all the information here and update the table in a day or two :)

Mates Rehearsal is missing Bad Apples and Coma.

Corrections to Sound City 1986:
* Recorded on June 4-5 as it says on the reel tapes
* There was no alternate take of Out Ta Get Me
* Untitled Song In Progress = New Work Tune (also it's Work, not York)
* Nice Boys and Heartbreak Hotel listed below for Pasha are 100% missing Sound City takes
Also, on which Niven's source Back Off Bitch was on?

Edited by Sergeanur

3 minutes ago, Sergeanur said:

* Nice Boys and Heartbreak Hotel listed below for Pasha are 100% missing Sound City takes

care to write more info about those? especially BA/Coma missing at Mates Rehearsal.

BOB is at Alan Niven 1986 tape (track 9).

alternate takes of NB and HH were indeed thought to be from Sound City, but @Nikki_Sixx said based on thorough listenings, he thinks those are actually from Pasha.

22 minutes ago, zombux said:

care to write more info about those? especially BA/Coma missing at Mates Rehearsal.

Mates that is circulating was confirmed to be incompleted by @kevinb at GNR Central.

22 minutes ago, zombux said:

BOB is at Alan Niven 1986 tape (track 9).

One of these? I found this odd for Niven to have this track, since it was recorded before his involvement.

23 minutes ago, zombux said:

alternate takes of NB and HH were indeed thought to be from Sound City, but @Nikki_Sixx said based on thorough listenings, he thinks those are actually from Pasha.

There's no way they are from Pasha. All Pasha takes had Izzy on the right and Slash on the left (fixed only in the boxset edition) and slower tempo. Also one can bring up subtle differences like lack of backup vocals and the way songs were started.

52 minutes ago, Sergeanur said:

One of these? I found this odd for Niven to have this track, since it was recorded before his involvement.

yes, it's a bit strange location because the rest of tracks from the tape comes from Pasha.

found studio details for Civil War recording - not date, but at least studios: A&M Studios and Take One Studios:

1116920.jpg

3 minutes ago, zombux said:

yes, it's a bit strange location because the rest of tracks from the tape comes from Pasha.

What's the album on which Niven leaked BOB called? It's not on Jumpin' Ax Flash, Under My Heal or Cornshucker.

1 minute ago, Waemoth said:

What's the album on which Niven leaked BOB called? It's not on Jumpin' Ax Flash, Under My Heal or Cornshucker.

those have been later "repackagings" if I remember correctly. the original thing has this info file:

This is the real deal! These studio recordings where taken straight form the original DAT tapes that Alan Niven owns. There are many "fake" and badly copied versions of these songs out there. But, these are the genuine versions, presented in FLAC (lossless) quality. Some of these recordings where used to create GNR's first EP release entitled "live like a suicide", which was later released as "Lies" with acoustic tracks also recorded by Niven. These are crystal clear "perfect" studio recordings.

DAT>WAV>FLAC.

Guns N' Roses 1986: Alan Niven Master Tapes

1. Jumpin Jack Flash
2. You're Crazy
3. Reckless Life*
4. Heartbreak Hotel
5. Shadow Of Your Love
6. Welcome To The Jungle
7. Move To The City*
8. Mama Kin*
9 Back Off Bitch

*used on LIES

and for the sake of completion, here's the second one:

This is the real deal! These studio recordings where taken straight form the original DAT tapes that Alan Niven owns. There are many "fake" and badly copied versions of these songs out there. But, these are the genuine versions, presented in FLAC (lossless) quality. These are the outtake recordings of the popular songs found on "GNR LIES". These are crystal clear "perfect" studio recordings.

DAT>WAV>FLAC.

1988: The Alan Niven LIES sessions

1. Patience
2. One In A Million
3. You're Crazy
4. Cornshucker

Just now, kever20 said:

I assume the sixth remix is Sorry with Melissa and Brain, at least based on their live performances.

might be - still nothing is even remotely confirmed. at least we definitely know Melissa worked on those together with Brain - she recently confirmed that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zombux said:

I'm really not sure where this belongs, it doesn't fit very much into any forum. I guess it would get lost in The Jungle. maybe Downloads would be the best?

We'll leave in in D&N for the time being, then I'll move it to Downloads and pin it eventually :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice job.

But one thing sticks out to me like a searing poker under my fingernails.....the piano version of Estranged is NOT Axl.  It was a cover posted on youtube and we've debunked it time and time again.  Just cause some bootlegger ripped it and put it on a CD doesn't make it Axl.

No legitimate demos of Estranged have ever circulated other than rough mixes of the album version.

26 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Nice job.

But one thing sticks out to me like a searing poker under my fingernails.....the piano version of Estranged is NOT Axl.  It was a cover posted on youtube and we've debunked it time and time again.  Just cause some bootlegger ripped it and put it on a CD doesn't make it Axl.

No legitimate demos of Estranged have ever circulated other than rough mixes of the album version.

I just got the same info! thanks for confirmation.

I'll update it in my "live" sheet and update the table in the first post somewhat later, together with all the other "news" :)

edit: the "Double Talkin' Jive Acoustic Outro" is also fake.

Edited by zombux
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Thanks for this!

I posted my opinion on the Civil War recording timeline in the KOHD-Days of Thunder thread before I saw this one.

I think it was recorded before June 1990, probably in April-May:

-------

The Spaghetti Incident sessions:

1. Down On The Farm and Ain't It Fun were also part of the UYI recordings (unknown sessions - uncirculated)

Sources about Down On The Farm:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/slash-the-rolling-stone-interview-189160/

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2885-1991-05-26-interview-with-duff-on-detroit-free-press

The recording of Ain't It Fun (with vocals) was mentioned in Axl's 1991 MTV interview with Kurt Loder (and of course there is the hint on the UYI booklet)

2. You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory (Duff) was recorded some time during the tour in 1991 (I have to look for the source, but I've read it in one of the interviews of the time)

3. Gilby says here

http://www.a-4-d.com/t607-1994-05-24-interview-with-gilby

that there were seven songs recorded with Izzy. If he didn't count You Can't Put Your Arms... in those, it's possible that there was one more recording during the UYI sessions, probably Human Being (instrumental at least)

4. Hair Of The Dog, Raw Power and possibly Human Being were recorded in various sessions during the UYI tour between 1992-93 (sources: the Gilby interview and other interviews). Buick Makane was recorded either during the tour too or a little after that (source: Axl and Slash Rockline interview, Jan. 1994).

5. They recorded more songs during the tour: "a couple of Hanoi Rocks songs that never made it, and a bunch of Iggy Pop songs that never made it, though one did make it. We recorded a bunch of stuff over a year, every now and then" (Gilby). Slash also mentions here that they recorded another Stooges song but Axl liked the Raw Power vocal better.

So there is definitely uncirculated stuff related to TSI sessions that could be included in a UYI box set.

------------

The TIL demo sessions: possibly Paris 1992, London 1992 and Sydney 1993 (source: Chinese Whispers)

Let me chip in here :

- These are the TSI tracks that we know for a FACT were recorded during the main UYI sessions (basic tracks august/sept '90) :

'Attitude' + 'I Don't Care About You' + 'New Rose' + 'Black Leather' (all available in rough mix form WITH izzy on guitar) + 'Ain't It Fun'  + 'Down On The Farm'

- Definitely NOT recorded during the main UYI sessions (but later during and after the tour, in assorted studios) :

'Since I Don't Have You' + 'Human Being' + 'Hair Of The Dog' + 'Raw Power' + 'Buick Makane' + 'Down On The Street' [instrumental] + 'Beer And A Cigarette' [instrumental]  (confirmed by Mike Monroe)

- No idea when and where ( You're correct that 'You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory' was recorded for Duff's album, too bad we can't figure out exactly when, with the little info that we have) :

'Look At Your Game Girl' + 'You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory'

9 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

You're correct that 'You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory' was recorded for Duff's album, too bad we can't figure out exactly when, with the little info that we have

true - Believe In Me booklet is the same story as UYI booklet - "recorded vaguely in 1993 in a million of studios", and the scarce singles have no recording info at all :facepalm:

Recording Locations: 
Conway Studios, Hollywood, CA 
A&M Studios, Hollywood, CA 
Record Plant, Hollywood, CA 
Goodnight Dallas, Dallas, TX 
Colorado Sound, Westminster, CO 
Triad Studios, Redmond, WA 
Olympic Studios, London, England 
The Townhouse, London, England 

3 hours ago, Sergeanur said:

-> you have no way of knowing the complete list of songs recorded at Mates.  Yes, we all know there's a tape being hoarded that has additional songs (like the 2 you mentioned), but that doesn't mean that there weren't any others recorded.

-> you have no way of knowing how many takes they did of any of those songs.  neither do we.  it's not because they weren't preserved on the reels, or weren't written on the track sheets, that they didn't attempt multiple takes of several songs.  they just kept the ones that were worth keeping.  I agree though that 'out ta get me' [take 2] should not be listed in this overview, because there's no second take left on the reels, so it's irrelevant.

-> please provide proof for your opinion (!) on 'nice boys' and 'heartbreak hotel' ?  'nice boys' was (unofficially) released on the 'many face of GNR' compilation (and others), and 'heartbreak hotel' was released (only) on the 'hollywood rocks' 3LP compilation (all through Cleopatra/Deadline or their affiliates), but NO info whatsoever was included about when and where they were recorded.  they were just ASSUMED to be from Sound City.  I've a/b'ed them thoroughly though, they sound EXACTLY like the other Pasha takes, and they sound NOTHING like the other Sound City takes.  I'm sure you're aware that stereo fields can be switched easily, so that's no valid argument.  I obviously cannot be 100% sure (just like you can't), but I can only use my ears and common sense ...

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NeonKinight said:

But hey, weren't live era recordings to be placed in 97/99?

I heard once that in the canadian version of Live Era is written that axl re-recorded his vocals in '97. 
Also, I might be the only one, but i can CLEARLY hear Finck's voice in "Mr.Browstone".

can't find any info in the booklet covers - maybe you'll have better eyes than my old self? :)

about Live Era re-recordings, I have some quotes from the past - I don't remember if they are from this forum, or from the dead Chinesedemocracy.com or Newgnr.com forums so sorry for not giving proper credits.

A lot of the songs were re-recorded, I'll list some of them.

Nightrain: This one is definitely re-recorded. Axl could just not do these type of screams from 1988-1994. His voice is very high, but has the tone of Axl's 2002 voice. This Nightrain is just about flawless. If you want a good representation of what Axl's Nightrain truly sounded during that time period you can listen to the Chicago 1992 performance.

Mr. Brownstone: This one is also re-recorded. If you want proof listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izxy1bmppr8 The Live Era version was taken from this performance and as you can see, they sound completely different from each other. 

Welcome To The Jungle: Another re-recorded one. The best example I can give you on this song is Axl's final scream at the end where he says "you're gonna die", his voice is very clean in that scream and in various certain sectors of songs, but at the same time he can give out a growl which only pertains to the late 90s/early 00s.

My Michelle: This song is just as easily distinguishable as Nightrain. His voice in this track sounds very refreshed, and again, flawless. There's a certain tone to his voice, again, that can be associated with Axl of the late 90s/early 00s vocals.

Used To Love Her: Now, much of this track was left untouched, vocally. This was a 1988 performance, which is easy to tell since Axl's voice 'deteriorated' as this year went on. (Axl's voice in Donnington '88 was almost non-existing, it was pretty horrible) The only vocal section that was re-recorded in this song was the last verse.

November Rain: Axl's voice is very clean on this track. It is the exact opposite of what Axl's method of singing November Rain used to be. If you listen to any 2001-2002 bootleg then you'll hear that Axl's voice sounds almost exactly the same on this record compared to those performances. This is horrendously easy to tell.

Pretty Tied Up: Axl's voice in this tracks is just exactly how I described it on My Michelle. It is almost flawless. His pitch and tone is exactly how I described it for My Michelle, so you can pretty much get the general idea.

Move To The City: The vocal track was obviously re-recorded here. In the orginal show, where this track was derived from, which is the 2/22/92 Tokyo show, his voice had more of a gargled glass quality. It sounded like he was gargling glass, originally. Axl uses a much more mature 'raspy' voice here. The tone is just as deep as it was during 1993 but without 'all the jangled mess'. His voice is cleaner and stronger in this track, you can make out the words more easily.

You Could Be Mine: About 1/2 of this song was re-recorded vocally. Just listen to the original performance from 2/22/92 Tokyo.

Rocket Queen: This track is the most obvious re-recorded track out of the whole record. This track sounds amazing. The entire piece was re-recorded. Again Axl's 'new rasp' which is very punk-ish and high pitched is used here. The outro is just 'so' the Axl of the late 90s/early 00s. If you compare the outro of Rocket Queen here to the outro of Rocket Queen to any 2001/2002 performance then you will almost get the exact same sound, it is uncanny.

Sweet Child O' Mine: Axl's voice in this track is very raw and deep. It was indeed re-recorded. You can hear this especially whenever he does any type of screams, they are just too clean.

Estranged: Axl's 'normal' speaking voice for the first few minutes was left alone, but right after the piano solo there comes the re-recorded vocals.

And it's pretty obvious that most of the crowd noise is fake.

===

@IndiannaRose

I posted this a while back. I think it can pretty much answer your question:

For Live Era-vocally-I can tell you a lot of info. For example when you're a person that collects over a hundred audio and video bootlegs you start to see the changes and different sounds that the band had through years. Axl's voice to me, can be easily defined by eras or certain live shows. His voice is very dynamic, which means that it sounds different in almost every bootleg, but stll having a basic sound for a specific era. I can give you a list, pretty close to the actual list of re-recorded vocal tracks:

Disc 1:

-Nightrain: This is pretty obvious. Axl could just not do these type of screams from 1988-1994. His voice is very high, but has the tone of Axl's current voice. This Nightrain is close to being flawless. If you want a good representation of what Axl's Nightrain truly sounded duing that time period you can liste to the 6-17-93 Buenos Aires, Argentina show. Or you can listen to the Tokyo DVDs which have more access.

-Welcome to the Jungle: certain sections of Welcome to the Jungle were re-recorded, for example the best example I can give you on this song is Axl's final scream at the end where he says "you're gonna die", not many people notice it but his voice is very clean in that scream and in various certain sectors of songs, but at the same time he can give out a growl which only pertains to the late 90s/early 00s. RIR3's Welcome to the Jungle can be comapred the best when speaking of 'the new rasp'. If you're not a fan that's familiar with live shows then it will be very hard to distinguish this track.

-My Michelle: This song is just as easily distinguishable as Nightrain. Axl's 'new rasp' is very punk-ish and high, while Axl's 'old rasp' persay was very angry and deep. A good representation of Axl's 'old rasp' is the easily accesible Freddy Mercury Concert performances. His voice in this track sounds very refreshed, and again, flawless. There's a ceratin tone to his voice, again, that can be associated with Axl of the late 90s/early 00s vocals.

-Used To Love Her: Now, much of this tracks was left untouched, vocally. This was a 1988 performace, which is easy to tell since Axl's voice 'deteriorated' as this year went on. (Axl's voice in Donnington '88 was almsost non-existing, it was pretty horrible) The only vocal section that was re-recorded in this song was the last verse were Axl sings:

"I used to love her
But I had to kill her
I used to love her, Mm, yeah
But I had to kill her
I had to put her, Oo, six feet under
And I can still hear her complain"

If you listen to the album right now, you will be able to see this right off the bat and you'll go "Ha, how did I miss that?"

-November Rain: Axl's voice is very clean on this track. It is the exact opposite of what Axl's method of singing November Rain used to be. If you listen to any 2001-2002 bootleg then you'll hear that Axl's voice sounds almost exactly the same on this record compared to those performances. This is horrendously easy to tell.

Disc 2:

-Pretty Tied Up: Axl's voice in this tracks is just exactly how I described it on My Michelle. It is almost flawless. His pitch and tone is exactly how I described it for My Michelle, so you can pretty much get the general idea.

-Move to the City: The vocal track was obviously re-recorded here. Axl's voice is just very stable and strong. In the orginal show, where this track was derived from, which is the 2/22/92 Tokyo show, his voice had more of a gargled glass quality. It sounded like he was gargling glass, originally. Axl uses a much more mature 'raspy' voice here. The tone is just as deep as it was during 1993 but without 'all the jangled mess'. His voice is cleaner and stronger in this track, you can make out the words more easily.

You Could Be Mine: About 1/2 of this song was re-recorded vocally. Axl's new voice can be easily distinguishable right at the start were he says:

"I'm a cold heartbreaker
Fit ta burn and I'll rip
your heart in two
An I'll leave you lyin' on the bed
I'll be out the door before ya wake
It's nuthin' new ta you
'Cause I think we've seen that movie too
With your ass in the air!"

This sounds like almost nothing the Axl of the early 90s would do. His voice is very punk-ish, high, and clearly shows his 'new rasp'. Now some growls and screams were left alone. The 'rapping' part was clearly left alone. His voice is very tired and angry in that section. Now there is a part that you can clearly tell was re-recorded. I'm speaking of the scream in the middle of the song. I'm speaking of the scream right before "You've gone sketchin' too many times". His vioce is extremely clean, something the early 90s Axl would never possess.

-Rocket Queen: This track is the most obvious re-recorded track out of the whole record. This track sounds amazing. The entire piece was re-recorded. Again Axl's 'new rasp' which is very punk-ish and high pitched is used here. Even though it's re-recorded, this is one of my favorite vocal 'performaces' of Rocket Queen, period. Axl's voice is so close to perfection. The outro is just 'so' the Axl of the late 90s/early 00s. If you compare the outro of Rocket Queen here to the outro of Rocket Queen to any 2001/2002 performance then you will almost get the exact same sound, it is uncanny. 

-Sweet Child O' Mine: All I can say is that Axl's voice in this track is very raw and deep. It was indeed re-recorded. You can hear this especially whenever he does any type of screams, they are just too clean. There was also a re-recording error here that I caught. Right at the end where Axl makes those dozens of screams he ends singing (the re-recorded Axl), but about 1.5 seconds later, very faintly, you will hear the original vocal track ending, after the song had already supposedley ended. You have to pay real close attention to notice this. I encourage everyone else to listen to this as this clearly shows this tune was re-recorded.

-Estranged: This is the last track of Disc 2 that was re-recorded.Axl's 'normal' speaking voice for the first few minutes was left alone, but right after the piano solo there comes the re-recorded vocals. Now, another error can be found here that will clearly give the re-recording enigma away. The music to this track originates from the 2/22/92 Tokyo show. Now I may not be the only one that has caught this. In Tokyo's vocals Axl sings the words:

"And you don't talk so loud
An you don't walk so proud
ny more, and what for"

In the original vocal track right after the words "and what for" Axl says "Nooo" with the same type of voice. Just watch the Tokyo DVD and you will notice the "Nooo" I'm speaking of. But listen to this, in Live Era right after the words "and what for" (which were re-recorded) then you will very faintly hear the "Nooo" being muffled out. You have to pay real close attention, but after the words "and what for"" on Live Era you will hear a very silent "Nooo" that was muffled out to give way to the re-recorded vocals.

Trust me, Live Era was a very complex process.

If you can't tell, then your ears have not been exposed enough to the live and studio sound of Guns N' Roses through out the years to make a solid opinion.

I hope this helped.

17 hours ago, NeonKinight said:

I'll make a list of what i think it's missin 

1 - Live Era Studio Sessions (Axl clearly re-recorded his voice, and there''s a lot of new guitar parts n' solos. Also, @troccoli has a '96 live era promo. I don't know if it has the same vocals or not) 
2. Maddy 2001 in the 2001 List. Also, Roy Thomas Baker started to work with GN'R in the fall of 2000. 
3. AFD '99 - Rumbo Recorders Studio, San Francisco, CA 1998. Also, it has been reported that the instrumental version of patience 98/99 has leaked a couple years ago, wich i think is a complete bullshit, but worth the info, anyway.
4. Shadow Of Your Love - The 1st Released one was recorded 'round 2-4 june '87 in mystic studios.
5. 1998 New Songs - Ides Of March, Oklahoma/Berlin, Oh My God, This I Love (What Dreams May Come Version)

about that Live Era 1996 promo... I'd really take it with a HUGE grain of salt, as Mr. Street of Dreams never had problems with claiming various sources for his stuff - for example he claimed "Civil War (Axl's vocal take 1990)" as legit, but it was just a backing track. he also claimed NR from that Live Era 1996 promo, but again it was proven to be old demo: 

about Maddy 2001... but it IS in the list, if I'm not totally blind or stupid :)

AFD'99 in Rumbo - I need to check the sources again. I'll probably go through Chinese Whispers one more time for that. I remember those 1996 "folky nonsense" sessions, probably in The Central Studios.

43 minutes ago, zombux said:

true - Believe In Me booklet is the same story as UYI booklet - "recorded vaguely in 1993 in a million of studios", and the scarce singles have no recording info at all :facepalm:

Recording Locations: 
Conway Studios, Hollywood, CA 
A&M Studios, Hollywood, CA 
Record Plant, Hollywood, CA 
Goodnight Dallas, Dallas, TX 
Colorado Sound, Westminster, CO 
Triad Studios, Redmond, WA 
Olympic Studios, London, England 
The Townhouse, London, England 

Two of the studios listed there don't get a mention in the little intro and details with the written lyrics in the liner, being Olympic and Record Plant...   Of those two, Record Plant does get a mention the the TSI notes... :wacko:

• GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, teejay said:

This is a spectacular piece of work.   

that just shows how blind I am... I've misred it as "New York" right when the setlist was released back in May (?) and only now I've been forced to read it again properly :) 

***THE TABLE HAS BEEN UPDATED***

I added some historical tidbits for better guessing when certain events happened, and I've started to adding known rehearsals as those help in guessing the time as well! :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1