Stand-Up Comedy/Comics Discussion Thread

spunko12345

• 2 weeks later...

Eddie Murphy has apparently been paid 56 million quid/dollars/whateverthefuck, to make a new comedy special.  As a lifelong fan of his stand up I dunno about anyone else but I'm excited, Delirious and Raw are like...monuments in the sphere of stand up specials, hilairious to this day.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Eddie Murphy has apparently been paid 56 million quid/dollars/whateverthefuck, to make a new comedy special.  As a lifelong fan of his stand up I dunno about anyone else but I'm excited, Delirious and Raw are like...monuments in the sphere of stand up specials, hilairious to this day.

I absolutely love those two specials. This is either going to be amazing or utterly terrible. Personally I think he should just say fuck it and bring the Mr T jokes back. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

12 minutes ago, Dazey said:

This is either going to be amazing or utterly terrible. Personally I think he should just say fuck it and bring the Mr T jokes back. :lol: 

I think if he really works on it and does it like a proper thing, with actual sections and like, y'know, a proper worked out routine instead of just standing up and telling jokes that are contemporary it'll be pretty good.  Cuz if you look at Raw and Delirious they're not like, say Kat Williams and Mike Epps who just go off on shit or someone like Dave Chapelle where its like on-going commentary there's like, the early bits are like taking celebrities and doing them, then whole sections like when he immitates his old man and talks about his family and they're really well worked out and co-ordinated.  He gets like a lengthy applause at the end of that shit.

I hate to admit it, but theres so many comedy specials that I dont really get all that excited for them.

I was excited for Chapelles return. But wont rewatch for a number of years, if ever. I mean I guess I'd be excited for the next round of Roast Battles. :shrugs:

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Isn't Pryor in one of the superman sequels 

He plays Gus Gorman in Superman 3. I knew that without Google. That’s how much of a sad cunt I am. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

15 hours ago, Dazey said:

He plays Gus Gorman in Superman 3. I knew that without Google. That’s how much of a sad cunt I am. :lol: 

I knew it too!  Pryor in a big budget mainstream movie is weird, really like...restrained.  Thats probably the first Pryor thing I ever saw.

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Ricky Gervais and Frankie Boyle are my Fav's right now.

The yanks just ain't as good as British comedians 

Mike Epps, Katt Williams, Dave Chappelle, Chris Rock, these guys are around today and, at least to me, stand up alongside anyone England has, though I do love Frankie Boyle.  We are better at scripted comedy by a fuckin’ million miles though, sitcoms and such.  But the yanks smash it with stand up and always have done, Lenny Bruce, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, these guys made an art of this shit.

Chapelle just sold out a 21 000 seater with fucking Toe Rogan (:lol:)!!! Along with Darnell and a few others. 

Some other good yanks are Dina Heshem, Eli Sairs, Karyn Feehan, Meeghan Fox, Christi Chiello and Erik Bergstrom. All smaller scale. All Roast Battlers.

Chelsea Peretti is my current US fave. 

Edited by soon

16 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Fair point but i'm a patriot me.

We had Bernard Manning, Chubby Brown, Mike Reid, Jim Davidson but lets be honest, if you’re not white anglo saxon their appeal is going to be limited :lol: 

10 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Lee Evans I personally think he is fucking hilarious.

I’ve always loved him myself but some think he’s shite.  Russell Brand I think is exceptional with it though they were better before he made it really really big.  Still good though.

13 minutes ago, soon said:

Chapelle just sold out a 21 000 seater with fucking Toe Rogan (:lol:)!!! Along with Darnell and a few others. 

Some other good yanks are Dina Heshem, Eli Sairs, Karyn Feehan, Meeghan Fox, Christi Chiello and Nick Berg. All smaller scale. All Roast Battlers.

Daves got a new special coming out...Joe Rogans a prick.

13 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Lee Evans I personally think he is fucking hilarious.

Mike Reid is my all time fav however.

HAHAHA, thanks for these names Luke - great way to start my lunch!

To answer his question about police horses, the are used to run through crowds. So them being on daily patrol is a threat to resistance. A threat that acknowledges the peoples ability to manifest at any moment. Its why I always wear steel toes incase they trot on me. Another use its to deter service to the poor - one time I set up a table with some chilli to feed the hungry at the town square and they parked the horses right over my head to intimidate people from approaching and the horses were sticking their snouts in the chilli.

I like this dudes facial comedy! Something that strikes me as very British.

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Daves got a new special coming out...Joe Rogans a prick.

Oh so he does - I didn't know that!! Awesome!! Just watched the trailer and Dave is so fucking boss! Theres not one sample of the special - Dave doesn't say a word in the trailer for his special!! King of comedy. Odd t shirt though.

Yeah, Rogan... so many people whom I enjoy talking to on here - people I respect - love the guy and his podcast. I feel bad saying it and dont mean to undermine anyone... but I'm with you on this.

3 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Ricky Gervais and Frankie Boyle are my Fav's right now.

The yanks just ain't as good as British comedians 

As as stand up I don't rate Ricky Gervais as one of the current best. He's a naturally funny bloke and his old XFM radio shows and podcasts are brilliant but as a stand up he's not really for me.

Jerry Seinfeld and Billy Connolly both perfected it.

4 hours ago, soon said:

She's really hot too. I have a thing for women with big old Jew noses for some reason. The bird out of Life in Pieces with the big hooter is also on my bucket list. :lol: 

5 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Fair point but i'm a patriot me.

Frankie Boyle is an awful stand-up. I used to love him on Mock the Week but he's shit in all the stand-up shows of his I've seen.

Just now, lukepowell1988 said:

Him ripping his crowds is a good Youtube watch

Haha, that's the bit I didn't like the most. Not that I have an issue with ripping the crowd but it's so scripted. He always starts off with the joke about the monkey in Topman and repeats the same old routine. :lol: