Original

Duff McKagan defends misunderstood '80s lyrics

Posted (edited)

Yet if he was anti Trump he'd be applauded and invited on the View, Colbert, Kimmel and the rest of the anti Trump left wing media.   I love GnR and I am a Trump supporter so yes I don't like to hear my favorite band get on the bandwagon to appease the left wing with the rest of the Hollywood elite.  I got into them because they went against the grain.

I don't think it would be hopping on a bandwagon though as much as it would be railing against a person they deem ill-fitted for the job as leader of the free nation, no?   

To me "going against the grain" is parallel to "speaking honestly if you have something you want to say", as in speaking up if you think there is something truly worth speaking up about regardless of who agrees or disagrees or the amount of people doing either one - and if that is a man they deem ill-fitted for the job as leader of the US to me I see no reason to stifle honest feelings and conclusions

To me it is the same as making a song about Civil War, except here it is a much more specific notion

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I don't think it would be hopping on a bandwagon though as much as it would be railing against a person they deem ill-fitted for the job as leader of the free nation, no?

Are there any free nations in the world? Yours isn't, since you have publicly executed your own president 50 years ago.

18 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Kurt Cobain?

Do you know another Cobain?

Edited by Drexl
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Drexl said:

Do you know another Cobain?

Dude, I am not from the US. Maybe there is a senator or any other local politican named Cobain which is not known worldwide who did Duff recently call a republican. (Yes, I just saw your are not from the US either). 

I wasn’t expecting you to explain a statement made by Duff in 2019 by any quote Kurt Cobain did 25-30 years agao :facepalm: 

Edited by zigzagbigbag

7 hours ago, Swampfox said:

I guess times change.

Not really! He's comparing Iron Maiden to a political organisation in terms of how they operate, not saying he doesn't like politics in music. They wrote Civil War not long after this, so have always been somewhat political. More so now of course, but these are fucked up times, so it would be surprising if they weren't. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 31illusions said:

Evidently you don't read very well and don't know to follow the rules (see above post) All I hear is blah, blah blah.

I love being told not to mention Trump by someone with a big picture of him on their post. 

Unfortunately it would seem your favourite band are rather anti-Trump. It's something you're going to have to process. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Not really! He's comparing Iron Maiden to a political organisation in terms of how they operate, not saying he doesn't like politics in music. They wrote Civil War not long after this, so have always been somewhat political. More so now of course, but these are fucked up times, so it would be surprising if they weren't. 

I'm sorry, but I don't see anything political in 'Civil War'. That's just an anti-war song, they don't call anyone up. That's why it's so powerful, because it's sincere and without any agenda.

2 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Dude, I am not from the US. Maybe there is a senator or any other local politican named Cobain which is not known worldwide who did Duff recently call a republican. (Yes, I just saw your are not from the US either). 

I wasn’t expecting you to explain a statement made by Duff in 2019 by any quote Kurt Cobain did 25-30 years agao :facepalm: 

Glad you didn't take it too seriously.

1 hour ago, Drexl said:

Glad you didn't take it too seriously.

You know how irony does (not) work in writing?! Whatever. 

54 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

You know how irony does (not) work in writing?! Whatever. 

Sorry it hurt you that bad. Who are the bastards who say Germans have no sense of humor? How they dare to?

• Haha 1

Just now, Drexl said:

I'm sorry, but I don't see anything political in 'Civil War'. That's just an anti-war song, they don't call anyone up. That's why it's so powerful, because it's sincere and without any agenda.

How can you not see anything political in 'Civil War'? :question:

It is heavily politically charged with the mention of Kennedy's assassination, Vietnam War, "your power hungry selling soldiers...", "carry the cross of homicide"....

But just like with other songs, the band oftenly backpedal on the motivation of their lyrics.... Not sure why this happens though.

Axl: "We dedicate that to all the military people that are here tonight. I think anybody in their right mind, anybody that has a brain at all, wasn't too excited with the concept of going to war but once we are in it, I think you're a fucking asshole not to fucking root for our side!".... "I mean I met all this people 'we shouldn't be having a fucking war'.... well, it's too late asshole!"

By 1991, there was the Gulf War going on, led by the USA with a coalition of nations against Irak.

Posted (edited)

i support Duff McKagan we live in a new era now where woman deserve to be treated equal to men but I hope this means they drop the song attitude from the set it has  a lyric  "Inside your feeble brain there's probably a whore
If you don't shut your mouth you're gonna feel the floor"

as a woman in the year 2019 it offends me but I understand if they want to keep it because it a classic song.

Edited by TupacShakur

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

How can you not see anything political in 'Civil War'? :question:

It is heavily politically charged with the mention of Kennedy's assassination, Vietnam War, "your power hungry selling soldiers...", "carry the cross of homicide"....

But just like with other songs, the band oftenly backpedal on the motivation of their lyrics.... Not sure why this happens though.

Axl: "We dedicate that to all the military people that are here tonight. I think anybody in their right mind, anybody that has a brain at all, wasn't too excited with the concept of going to war but once we are in it, I think you're a fucking asshole not to fucking root for our side!".... "I mean I met all this people 'we shouldn't be having a fucking war'.... well, it's too late asshole!"

By 1991, there was the Gulf War going on, led by the USA with a coalition of nations against Irak.

Johnson killed Kennedy, Nixon ended the Vietnam war... It's really pro-Republican.

But seriously, by political I mean when you take one side. 'Civil War' is above all that bullshit.

9 minutes ago, Drexl said:

Johnson killed Kennedy, Nixon ended the Vietnam war... It's really pro-Republican.

But seriously, by political I mean when you take one side. 'Civil War' is above all that bullshit.

It's still political because some verses take the side of all humans involved in a war, especially those who are damaged by it.

That's a political stance, even if during that Indiana show, Axl backpedals on the lyrics to support the government :facepalm:

5 minutes ago, killuridols said:

It's still political because some verses take the side of all humans involved in a war, especially those who are damaged by it.

That's a political stance, even if during that Indiana show, Axl backpedals on the lyrics to support the government :facepalm:

Taking the side of victims is empathic, not political. At least for me.

1 minute ago, Drexl said:

Taking the side of victims is empathic, not political. At least for me.

I don't agree but... whatever...

Posted (edited)
On 9.06.2019 at 2:31 AM, Nice Boy said:

It's pretty bizarre that so many fans have obviously stuck by the band despite the One In A Millon lyrics and the rest, but then get all enraged now that Axl and Duff have matured and are expressing healthier outlooks on life and the world. If Trump means that much to you then get another band, because face it they don't like him at all and at least have the honesty to say so, unlike some other artists who would keep their mouths shut in case they lost fans over their political views.

What's "Trumpish" in old GnR lyrics??? I thought, if anyone, its conservatives who should be outraged by GnR (except OIAM, I totally get why this track is offensive)...

Aren't conservatives the religious, family oriented ones, who would considered band openly singing about drinking and and drug addiction as bunch of degenerates who are threat to public morality, and bad influence on youth??? At least in my country it goes that way...

Edited by acor

2 minutes ago, acor said:

What's "Trumpish" in old GnR lyrics??? I thought, if anyone, its conservatives who should be outraged by GnR (except OIAM, I totally get why this track is offensive)...

Aren't conservatives the religious, family oriented ones, who would considered band openly singing about drinking and and drug addiction as bunch of degenerates who are threat to public morality, and bad influence on youth??? At least in my country it goes that way...

Conservatives say one thing and do another.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Wait.........No one is saying that women shouldn't be equal with men and calling what Duff is saying bullshit does not mean someone thinks women are less than men. 

Duff is NOT saying "women should be equal to men", Duff is saying a amazingly sexest line from ISE was meant in a joking manner, which is absolutely not true. He's not supporting women by making that claim, he's actually insulting women's intelligence by trying to pass that BS off as fact if you ask me. 

ya I guess if they didn't come out and say it was a joke in the 80's it can't be a joke now

• Like 1

I'd just like to point out that we're comparing sexist, misogynistic lyrics written by hard parting kids living in a storage unit nearly 35 years ago to the current President's behavior. I mean, at the very least, shouldn't the President of the United States be held to a higher standard than Appetite For Destruction?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TupacShakur said:

i support Duff McKagan we live in a new era now where woman deserve to be treated equal to men but I hope this means they drop the song attitude from the set it has  a lyric  "Inside your feeble brain there's probably a whore
If you don't shut your mouth you're gonna feel the floor"

as a woman in the year 2019 it offends me but I understand if they want to keep it because it a classic song.

I hope your "livin' in new era" doesn't mean artists and their work will be judged by political needs/preconceptions/ideology of the particular "era" and will be urged to drop anything from the set. Because to be honest we people of Eastern Europe lived under such circumstances for 40 years and it wasn't much fun. In fact it sucked massive cock.

By the way - being offensive and not givin' a fuck is and always was the foundation of punk rock.

Edited by Rayno
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, acor said:

Well, let's be honest, during the Appetite days they were a "a bunch of degenerates who were a threat to public morality, and a bad influence on youth." That was one of the reasons many people gravitated to the band, including myself.  It's been like that since rock n roll started with Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley.  Many people thought that Evis was the antichrist.  Rock n roll, if it's any good, is inherently rebellious and controversial.  

• Like 2

On 9. 6. 2019 at 2:21 AM, Nice Boy said:

What? We're not debating whether that lyric is related to sex. I am drawing a distinction between it and Trump boasting of outright sexual assault. The 'turn around bitch' lyric is far from being politically correct, but I always understood it as about someone in a fiery pissed off mood wanting (consensual) sex with their girlfriend, not about raping her. It's not by far the worst lyric Duff has sung anyway. The worst must be the line in Attitude 'if you don't shut your mouth you're gonna feel the floor, bitch' - now that IS about assault, and I don't see how he could defend it, or why he still sings it.

Because it's piece of art, that's why. It doesn't necessarily means he shares this view, the same way a character in a novel doesn't necessarily represents views of its author. The fact some lyric is far from being PC is a good thing. R'n'R wouldn't exist if it would respected political correctness of ANY era. Artistic freedom is a waaaay bigger value than anyone's hurt feelings.

39 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I'd just like to point out that we're comparing sexist, misogynistic lyrics written by hard parting kids living in a storage unit nearly 35 years ago to the current President's behavior. I mean, at the very least, shouldn't the President of the United States be held to a higher standard than Appetite For Destruction?

But those kids have grown up into grandpas now, they are kind of same age as Trump now and they are still singing "turn around bitch I've got a use for you" in the 21st century, so what's the difference? :shrugs:

Obviously, Trump (and any other president) should be held to higher standards but that doesn't give a free way for the rest of people to be sexist, mysoginist and patriarchal just because they do not hold such a huge power position.

24 minutes ago, Rayno said:

Because it's piece of art, that's why. It doesn't necessarily means he shares this view, the same way a character in a novel doesn't necessarily represents views of its author. The fact some lyric is far from being PC is a good thing. R'n'R wouldn't exist if it would respected political correctness of ANY era. Artistic freedom is a waaaay bigger value than anyone's hurt feelings.

Total bollocks.

Guns N' Roses lyrics came mostly from their real life experiences, not from some fictional character they created as if they were Hemingway. That is the kind of excuse they use to justify the sexism, racism, homophobia, etc... as it is shown from their behavior, they seem to have problems owning their shit, admitting to their past....

Artistic freedom is bullshit if your art spreads hatred towards innocent people. Rock n' roll isn't a sacred cow anymore and actually, rock n' roll was a means to rebel against the system, against the establishment, not to OPPRESS minorities.