Film Thread

ssiscool

I Want to Believe was good, certainly far better than the first film, a dumbed down retread of some of the show's better mythology episodes, though not on par with the series' best.

John Kenneth Muir wrote a great review of it. He's a genre critic held in very high esteem:

http://reflectionsonfilmandtelevision.blog...to-believe.html

Jennifer Chambers Lynch's return to directing was disappointing. Atmospherically made, but full of plot holes, and bearing a supposed twist ending anyone could see coming half an hour too early at the very least. For shame, Spill Fantastic Fest 2008 film recommendations.

Disappointing relative to what? Boxing Helena? That film could have been made by anyone who spent a week in a film class, and that's not even getting to the script, which had the maturity of a 13 year old's diary.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointing relative to what? Boxing Helena? That film could have been made by anyone who spent a week in a film class, and that's not even getting to the script, which had the maturity of a 13 year old's diary.

You have no appreciation for high camp, demented performances and hilariously appalling writing. :no:

-Black Christmas(remake)

Dawnie! :heart:

Get out...get out...GET OUT!!!

Gah, I hope her acting has evolved since the adolescent screaming.

Sadly I could just imagine them having her do a "Get out, Get out GET OUT!" for nostalgia for Buffy fans.

Aw, she was supposed to be annoying in S5 and S6. She was adorable in S7, especially in Him.

Li'l Dawnie was fine in season 6 also, IMO. I hated her in season 5, but she was handled the character's growing up quite well. Rough transition, but well-handled.

I'm really looking forward to Clint Eastwood's new film "Gran Torino". Anyone else feeling he same way?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/

The trailer looked horrible to me, it looked like a bad parody of something he's done much earlier. However, the score is absolutely PHENOMENAL (needs to win best original score, definitely), and all early reviews suggest that it's one of Eastwood's finest films as director, and just really strong all around.

Li'l Dawnie was fine in season 6 also, IMO. I hated her in season 5, but she was handled the character's growing up quite well. Rough transition, but well-handled.
I'm really looking forward to Clint Eastwood's new film "Gran Torino". Anyone else feeling he same way?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1205489/

The trailer looked horrible to me, it looked like a bad parody of something he's done much earlier. However, the score is absolutely PHENOMENAL (needs to win best original score, definitely), and all early reviews suggest that it's one of Eastwood's finest films as director, and just really strong all around.

I think that one of the problems with Eastwood is that because he is so iconic when he does films like Gran Torino now that he is older it is almost impossible for it to not look like a parody on some level. However, Clint is a phenomenal actor (not necessarily in his range and scope, but in how he plays the part) and is one of just a handful of actors I will watch just because they are in the film.

I couldn't finish A Scanner Darkly. The whole movie just felt like an opening credits because of the cartoon-y way it was done if you know what I mean, and because of that I couldn't concentrate on the movie. I could have watched it if it was done like a proper fucking movie. Admittably I was very high and it was a bad choice of movie.

ha. i understand what you mean but i loved that movie.

anyone see the new punisher?

terrible, terrible dialogue. i liked this punisher actor more than the last , and the story was good, but jigsaw tried to act like the joker too much and the dialogue ruined the movie

Am I the only who thinks that Natural Born Killers was just terrible? I had a debate with some friends about it last night

It's just incredibly awful, particularly the oft-praised visual sensibility. It's not just my taste, it really is a complete waste of Stone's talent (on display in the awesome Nixon and the excellent JFK). Basically he's doing what a second year film major would do, fiddling around with as many fliters and effects as possible.

Watched american gangster last night, crowe and washington are two of the best actors going around, I was a bit shocked when washingtons character shot that guy in the head, I was thinking yeh He wont shoot him then bang! I was like wtf. Good movie though.

Am I the only who thinks that Natural Born Killers was just terrible? I had a debate with some friends about it last night

Clearly, you're not. But I disagree violently. There is nothing about that film I'm not deeply in love with.

Watched american gangster last night, crowe and washington are two of the best actors going around, I was a bit shocked when washingtons character shot that guy in the head, I was thinking yeh He wont shoot him then bang! I was like wtf. Good movie though.

I'll have to remember this the first time I get to watch it.

Clearly, you're not. But I disagree violently. There is nothing about that film I'm not deeply in love with.

Personally the film only get good when Robert Downey Jr appears...

There was some sort of film afternoon on Channel 5 today, caught the '06 remake of The Pink Panther and Home Alone. The Pink Panther didn't make me laugh much, I should probably go back and watch some of the originals with Peter Sellers, Home Alone was as classic as ever.