Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Apollo

Funny how people just instantly bash movies like Avatar and Alice in Wonderland, even before they see them.....just because they are popular or made a lot of money.

Well, gee, I thought I disliked AIW because of the horrible script and whatnot. Now I realize it's only flaw is the fact that it made a lot of money. I totally love it now! Thx, Apollo! <_<

I actually didn't say you should "love it."

You are a bit of a movie snob, which I'm sure you would admit, so I wouldn't expect you to like a movie like Avatar. I don't think Avatar was made for people like you. It was a 2.5 hour distraction, some cool visuals, a good battle scene, a love story. Again - not something to change your life, but something to entertain you for a couple hours on a saturday afternoon.

I didn't "love" the movie either. But it was better than the average flick out there. What kept me from loving it was the main actor. He was wooden, dry and terrible all the way around. His performance had me rooting for him to fail.

Hopefully you don't sic daria on me now.

Edited by Apollo

It was a 2.5 hour distraction, some cool visuals, a good battle scene, a love story. Again - not something to change your life, but something to entertain you for a couple hours on a saturday afternoon.

and thats why it was good. i think everybody knew this going into it. it is what it is.

Guest Len B'stard

Mikey & Nicky - John 'God' Cassavetes and Peter Falk.

They play two gangster friends, one has a contract out on his life and the other is his turn-to-in-the-time-of-need-known-ya-since-i-was-a-kid buddy. Its basically like an hour and forty five some minute(s) character piece about these two friends and their relationship, REALLY well acted, very naturalistic, shot very much in that early 70s cinema verite kinda fuckin...fly on the wall way, a really slick piece of filmmaking, worthy of mention with Cassavetes own work as a director i think. Great movie.

I love movies where its clear that a lot of what you see on screen has been improvised, it gives lends this very kind of tragi-comic life to everything and also, i think it helps a movie remain fresh no matter how old it gets.

Funny how people just instantly bash movies like Avatar and Alice in Wonderland, even before they see them.....just because they are popular or made a lot of money.

Well, gee, I thought I disliked AIW because of the horrible script and whatnot. Now I realize it's only flaw is the fact that it made a lot of money. I totally love it now! Thx, Apollo! <_<

You are a bit of a movie snob, which I'm sure you would admit, so I wouldn't expect you to like a movie like Avatar. I don't think Avatar was made for people like you. It was a 2.5 hour distraction, some cool visuals, a good battle scene, a love story. Again - not something to change your life, but something to entertain you for a couple hours on a saturday afternoon.

I didn't "love" the movie either. But it was better than the average flick out there. What kept me from loving it was the main actor. He was wooden, dry and terrible all the way around. His performance had me rooting for him to fail.

Shut up, Apollo. Way to bring my name in something that has dick all to do with me. Creepy much? :confused:

Need some reccomendations on some good sci-fi films, please.

Avoiding the more obvious picks I'd say Blade Runner, Solaris (either one), 2001, Metropolis and Stalker to name a few. Haven't watched Moon yet.

I would say Robocop as a personal favourite but I guess you've seen that.

Blade Runner, Brazil, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 (you heard me), Alphaville, The Abyss, Gattaca, Solaris (original), Children of Men, Mad Max, 12 Monkeys, Total Recall, Dark City, Serenity, Starship Troopers, Moon, The Thing, Escape from New York, etc.

Blade Runner, Brazil, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 (you heard me), Alphaville, The Abyss, Gattaca, Solaris (original), Children of Men, Mad Max, 12 Monkeys, Total Recall, Dark City, Serenity, Starship Troopers, Moon, The Thing, Escape from New York, etc.

Starship Troopers never gets enough love!

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Agreed. The two first Starship Troopers are great. The last one is not so great if memory recalls it correctly.

Guest Apollo

Shut up, Apollo. Way to bring my name in something that has dick all to do with me. Creepy much? :confused:

Once again....proving my point about you! Thanks.

Guest Len B'stard

ReWatched Les Enfants Du Paradis, probably one of the greatest movies i've ever seen, in any sense. Acting, visually, the way its written, i think if i ever had to make a case in front of a grand jury as to whether or not cinema could be considered high art, i'd play em this.

Its basically about this chick Garance and all these different people that want her, a mime called Baptiste, a Count, an actor dude, a crazy scribe turned criminal...but its more than that, its about...i dunno, everything, its comic and tragic, its a love story, its a lack of love story, the dialogue has this rhythm to it, like classic literature, its absolutely brilliant, 3 hours never went so quickly.