Film Thread

ssiscool

And Justice For All - Al Pacino. Cool movie, kind of a poor mans courtroom Serpico though. Al comes to understand that one can build a career on yelling :lol:

It's not funny! He used to be so fucking great. :( I watched I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale recently, and there are a bunch of Godfather and Dog Day Afternoon clips in it and...where the fuck did the real Al go?

i still think hes got it, i rate him as the top actor of all time, slightly edging over de niro...there careers have gone pretty much the same way of recent years. Not exactly the same but yknow. I didnt even think 88 minutes was as bad as everyone made out, it werent great but theres always something about watching an al film.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

And Justice For All - Al Pacino. Cool movie, kind of a poor mans courtroom Serpico though. Al comes to understand that one can build a career on yelling :lol:

It's not funny! He used to be so fucking great. :( I watched I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale recently, and there are a bunch of Godfather and Dog Day Afternoon clips in it and...where the fuck did the real Al go?

i still think hes got it, i rate him as the top actor of all time, slightly edging over de niro...there careers have gone pretty much the same way of recent years. Not exactly the same but yknow. I didnt even think 88 minutes was as bad as everyone made out, it werent great but theres always something about watching an al film.

See Marlon Brando, Paul Muni, Montgomery Clift, John Garfield, James Cagney, Spencer Tracey for the top actor(s) of all time ;)

See Marlon Brando, Paul Muni, Montgomery Clift, John Garfield, James Cagney, Spencer Tracey for the top actor(s) of all time ;)

oh yeh, sorry i didnt mean too say hes the number 1 actor i meant one of imo

So, I am just about 45 minutes into the film "Audition" and enjoying it very much. I have warmed very much to the main character and his friend, so I will be saddened by the events to come.

I shall come back to this when I have completed the film. Please let me know what you guys think of Audition if you have watched it before.

Guest Len B'stard

So, I am just about 45 minutes into the film "Audition" and enjoying it very much. I have warmed very much to the main character and his friend, so I will be saddened by the events to come.

I shall come back to this when I have completed the film. Please let me know what you guys think of Audition if you have watched it before.

I've seen the Japanese film if thats the one you're talking about? I was stoned out of my fuckin tree and alls i can remember really about it is some chick going kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri and i have a recollection of like...i dunno if this is right but a needle and a nail, a toenail, something like that? I can remember watching it thinking i wish i wasn't stoned watching this cuz it looks really good. Was wow-ing the whole way. Sorry i'm not being so helpful here :lol:

On topic:

Rewatched Bobby Deerfield, i don't think its half as bad as people say.

I've seen the Japanese film if thats the one you're talking about? I was stoned out of my fuckin tree and alls i can remember really about it is some chick going kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri kiri and i have a recollection of like...i dunno if this is right but a needle and a nail, a toenail, something like that? I can remember watching it thinking i wish i wasn't stoned watching this cuz it looks really good. Was wow-ing the whole way. Sorry i'm not being so helpful here :lol:

On topic:

Yeah, that's the film. I was surprised about how ungory it was, based on its reputation.

On topic:

*withholds snicker*

Deerfield is patronizing, manipulative and schmaltzy...of course it rings your bell. <_<

Guest Len B'stard
Deerfield is patronizing, manipulative and schmaltzy...of course it rings your bell

It is all of those things and that chick character leaves a lot to be desired but its not the unbearable sack of shit that the reviewers would have you believe, i think it'd be interesting to tackle from a filmmakers perspective because the plot is so fuckin schmaltzy as you say you gotta rely on characterisation and something fresh and interesting coming from that to kinda carry the movie and i think Pacino makes the movie work but the chick character fucks it up.

The problem with this kind of movie (and Walk to Remember and Notebook for that matter) is that the characters are so fucking production line because somewhere a desicion is made to fuck characterisation because our target audience are gonna go for the soppy element of it all and i think the movies suffer as a result. Shame. Deerfield as a character is at least interesting though, what with the alcoholic mother that he loved when drunk and the the estranged father and his sort of detached demeanour, there was a lot to work with there, i just think Pacino didn't have anybody to bounce off in the movie.

Coulda been a really good movie i think. Also i think these movies tend to cop out a lot in that, its become like a stock cinematic technique to like...y'know, NOT show the death or NOT show the emotional responses of characters to whatever trauma because they think its just like...a slick cinematic technique and it "leaves it up to the audience" but i get the impression that they are afraid of their own lack of ability as filmmakers or perhaps concerned that it'd make the film overly heavy or maybe that the actors can't pull it off but i think its starting to become a very cynical thing that filmmakers do y'know, there's either gotta be some kind of redemption through one characters death or else they just cut it off...it'd be interesting to explore the pain a little...and also a challenge because you run the risk of making a really corny piece of shit if you don't pull it off properly...and i think filmmakers owe it to their art to take these sorts of risks. It'd be interesting to see if you could do that without turning the movie into Philedephia.

Edited by sugaraylen

I need some recommendations, if anyone's willing to help out. Someone please name me some classic epic films. And don't go "Lawrence of Arabia!" or "Gone with the Wind!", give me something that I wouldn't think of in the first five seconds after I hear the words 'classic epic'. So yeah, preferably stuff before 1970.

Thanks!

I need some recommendations, if anyone's willing to help out. Someone please name me some classic epic films. And don't go "Lawrence of Arabia!" or "Gone with the Wind!", give me something that I wouldn't think of in the first five seconds after I hear the words 'classic epic'. So yeah, preferably stuff before 1970.

Thanks!

Taxi driver...

Thanks!

El Cid

Thanks!

El Cid

I'm gonna try this one. Thing is, I don't actually know anything about the figure, except that he is some sort of national hero there. So, being Spanish, you tell me, is the film, historically speaking, only mildly inaccurate, pretty inaccurate or laughably inaccurate. Cuz most Hollywood historical biopics tend to fall under the last two categories. Especially when dealing with foreign figures, where they can take a lot of liberties.

@Spartacus: I've seen that one. Pretty good, I especially liked Peter Ustinov in it (Didn't he win an Oscar for it?).Although strangely, I didn't particularly like Kirk Douglas :lol: Don't ask me why though.

But it probably falls, along with the likes of Lawrence and Good/Bad/Ugly in the category of films that absolutely everyone's seen. I was thinking about something not really as obvious.

Thanks!

El Cid

I'm gonna try this one. Thing is, I don't actually know anything about the figure, except that he is some sort of national hero there. So, being Spanish, you tell me, is the film, historically speaking, only mildly inaccurate, pretty inaccurate or laughably inaccurate. Cuz most Hollywood historical biopics tend to fall under the last two categories. Especially when dealing with foreign figures, where they can take a lot of liberties.

Well, I must say that in Spain he’s more a legendary character than a national hero, and that’s why Anthony Mann could give his own interpretation. Most historians would say the film is laughably inaccurate though, but that's because we don't know much about his real life.

Edited by hans_moleman

Thanks!

El Cid

Well, I must say that in Spain hes more a legendary character than a national hero, and that's why Anthony Mann could give his own interpretation. Most historicians would say the film is laughably inaccurate though, but that's because we don't know much about his real life.

Well, I'm not sure the film is so laughably inaccurate :

Ramón Menéndez Pidal, a Spanish authority on El Cid and Spain in the Middle Ages was the historical adviser for the film and the "overall interpretation of the hero as presented by Charlton Heston."

The film is a favorite of Martin Scorsese, who called it "one of the greatest epic films ever made." Scorsese was one of the major forces behind a 1993 restoration and re-release of El Cid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Cid_(film)

Anyway, it's a highly recommendable movie.

Edited by axlfan88