Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brothers at War - I had ordered "Brothers" with Jake Gyllenhall and Tobey Maguire, but this one came in for some reason.

But I checked it out, and to me, this is a no BS day to day account of what people in the military go through. There's also an ambush caught on camera, and you hear the bullets whizzing by. No Hollywood special effects, which makes it all the more intense.

I would show this film to anyone debating going in the military, or has no idea what's going on over there, other than the little we get in the nightly news.

This movie captured what it's like to serve in the military like no other movie I've ever seen... if there's a movie I would show an 18 year old talking about going into the Army or Marines, this is the film I'd show them. As great as "Hurt Locker" was, this really gives you the best idea of what a day to day life is like for someone serving in Iraq, and how their families deal with it.

Gary Sinise narrates the movie.

http://www.brothersatwarmovie.com/

The Servant = superb

Cop Out = unsuperb. Really, how the fuck did Smith get a director for hire gig? Even his most deranged, Jersey Girl defending fanboy would be hard pressed to pimp his directorial 'skills'.

Land of Silence and Darkness = devestating

CQ = suprisingly nifty

Remember Me = jawdroppingly shit until the painfully hilarious ending (which in all fairness, is also jawdroppingly shit)

Watched Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation. A documentary about Aussie Genre films from the 70's and 80's.

Absolutely hilarious. Not only for the clips of the atrocious films, but also for the stories about some of the actors. A particular highlight was Dennis Hopper coming out to star in Mad Dog Morgan and spending the whole trip snorting coke, popping pills and drinking booze. He was eventually banned for life from driving or even being a passenger in a car in the state of Victoria. :rofl-lol:

Also, Jimmy Wang Yu sounded like a real delight on the set of The Man from Hong Kong. George Lazenby (BEST BOND EVA) offered to "give him a hiding" on behalf of director Brian Trenchard.

Watched Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation. A documentary about Aussie Genre films from the 70's and 80's.

Absolutely hilarious. Not only for the clips of the atrocious films, but also for the stories about some of the actors. A particular highlight was Dennis Hopper coming out to star in Mad Dog Morgan and spending the whole trip snorting coke, popping pills and drinking booze. He was eventually banned for life from driving or even being a passenger in a car in the state of Victoria. :rofl-lol:

Also, Jimmy Wang Yu sounded like a real delight on the set of The Man from Hong Kong. George Lazenby (BEST BOND EVA) offered to "give him a hiding" on behalf of director Brian Trenchard.

I tried to pimp that shit here *so* many times! I went nuts tracking some of the featured movies down - Long Weekend, Road Games and Patrick are actually terrific films. Turkey Shoot, Razorback, Dead Kids, Thirst, Harlequin etc are not, but they are entirely hilarious and entertaining. :heart:

The Servant = superb

Cop Out = unsuperb. Really, how the fuck did Smith get a director for hire gig? Even his most deranged, Jersey Girl defending fanboy would be hard pressed to pimp his directorial 'skills'.

Land of Silence and Darkness = devestating

CQ = suprisingly nifty

Remember Me = jawdroppingly shit until the painfully hilarious ending (which in all fairness, is also jawdroppingly shit)

I agree Smith isn't a great director, he writes a decent screenplay with ok dialogue but when compared to Quentin who has far superior writing and directing skills he is a joke

Guest Len B'stard

Watched Gigli...i really liked it. I just had to see it, all the reviews, worst movie of all time and all that but i don't think it gets a fair shake. I can watch it and i can pinpoint every single little reason people call it crap. Firstly, it goes nowhere :lol: Its almost plot-less, they kidnap a young man, they keep him for a bit, they give him back, thats basically the whole movie :lol: Al Pacino comes in for his obligatory 10 minutes of shouting and elongating of syllables and leaves, having added nothing to the movie.

But y'know what? Its sweet. I love the movies, i mean i could not live without the movies. The way it works is this, people that love the movies cut the movies slack. I don't dare movies to entertain me, movies entertain me already, thats why i watch em. And i don't mean by any of this that you should sit there and watch shit that you can't bear cuz God knows there's some shit out there that i can't bear but at the same time, this insipid cynicism that people bring to movies is just...i dunno, i don't see the point.

Its sweet, the Ben and Jen interactions are just cute, i like it, its a Sunday movie, there's 6 other days in the week to fry your brain on. Its really plain why people don't like it though. First of all, the Affleck cure, bring any lesbian to this man and he'll cure her :lol: Jennifer Lopez, whatsherface Lauren Adams, bring em on, a little treck to the Affleck and they'll be right as rain, THAT, i imagine, would be quite insulting to those of lesbian persuasion. Also, the aforementioned lack of plot, this irks people, i'm not sure why but it does :lol: The cliques heavy and hamfisted enough to beat a bull to death with, the "a clean place" riff and the unexplained "after this gig is over, i'm leaving" standard Rom Com device. The movie lasted two hours and i'm not entirely sure where they went. Going over it in my head, there ain't 2 hours worth of matierial there but at the same time, it didn't drag and i'm not sure why.

There's almost no character development whatsoever and that makes it really hard to feel anything for any of the characters except for the retard. All you know about Affleck is that he lives alone, he's a "contractor" and he lives alone and doesn't have any friends and all you know about RoundDaWay Jen is that she's a lesbian and also a "contractor".

Also, the review writers and star givers are generally people that consider themselves the judges of what is or isn't a good movie are generally people that hold "legends" in high regard and i can't imagine that, for those people, watching Al Pacino and his 40 herbal cigarettes a day voice barking for 10 minutes in a completely pointless and totally hammy role elevated their opinion of the piece.

Its corny, its obvious, it doesn't drag, it doesn't make me wanna turn it off, its corny in a cute way, its obvious in the way Superman or Batman is obvious, you know they're gonna kick the bad guys ass and prevail, thats what you paid to see. I don't think it deserves the criticism it gets. Its not brilliant but i don't think it intended to be. Also, the Pacino on the Marquee raises the bar on it more than its able to withstand because people are waiting for a performance that never comes. Instead they get an aged old East Harlem greyhound thats all bark and no bite.

It doesn't stand up to scrutiny, i couldn't tell you why i liked it but i did :)

Guest Len B'stard

Katherine Ross is beyond cute in The Graduate :):) And to the person who watched The Brave, i think its one of Johnny Depps best performances :)

Edited by sugaraylen

everybody made that joke when titanic came out, it was horrible then, its horrible now.

that was one of my favourite parts of inglorious basterds

how they just threw the history book out the fucking window, the entire time i was thinking "how is this going to work out to be historcally accurate?". it was my first QT movie, i didnt know any better

everybody made that joke when titanic came out, it was horrible then, its horrible now.

that was one of my favourite parts of inglorious basterds

how they just threw the history book out the fucking window, the entire time i was thinking "how is this going to work out to be historcally accurate?". it was my first QT movie, i didnt know any better

You're welcome.

I just re-watched the Graduate again. It's still as amazing as ever. And the soundtrack is incredible too.

I think I'll re-watch it tonight, too! Cool coincedence.

Mike Nichols did an amazing job directing that movie.

Fuckin shit. I fell asleep before the movie started. <_<

Katherine Ross is beyond cute in The Graduate :):)

Which is still no match for hot and fascinating (or even remotely interesting), so Dusty throwing Mrs. Robinson over for her so swiftly really doesn't make too much sense. :shrugs: Of course he figures that out eventually. :heart:

Edited by Angelica