Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Joe Louis: American Hero Betrayed - HBO Doc about the great heavyweight champion, the brown bomber Joe Louis, an absolute legend, still holds the world record for title defences, absolutely without peer except maybe Jack Johnson, brilliant boxer and criminally underrated and under-recognised not so much for those in the know about boxing but historically, he is/was so so SOOOOO much to...black people, to their history in America, to their understanding of theirselves and their potential and it really seriously INTENSELY fucking bugs me that more people aren't aware even of who Joe Louis is and what he did.

People are so off into like, doffing their caps to the blues or...early rock n rollers or Muhammad Ali or Malcolm X or Martin Luther King and its like...if they knew how important, no, how fucking...immense Joe Louis was. Joe was the first person that i can think of that transcended race for people and gave the first glimpse in America that hey, maybe you can be black and be something. I just wish people would just take the time to look this man up and not enter into it with the preconceptions of "oh, a boxer" or whatever.

Raintree County - brilliant almost 3 hour period drama epic a'la Gone With the Wind starring Monty Clift, Elizabeth Taylor and Eva Marie Saint. Brilliant film, should've been like...y'know, should be as well known as Gone With the Wind or Casablanca or...To Have & Have Not...but it isn't for some reason. Dunno why.

Brewsters Millions - Richard Pryor and John Candy being hilairious :)

Guest Len B'stard

Finally watched Inglourious Basterds last night. Fucking awesome.

I think it's Tarintino's best. Or atleast best since Pulp Fiction.

I don't think Tarantinos capable of any better than Reservoir Dogs...and thats not an insult, i don't think most directors are even as good as Reservoir Dogs, let alone better.

I don't think Tarantinos capable of any better than Reservoir Dogs...and thats not an insult, i don't think most directors are even as good as Reservoir Dogs, let alone better.

My mind teeters between Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction being his best tbh. I think I just have an infatuation with PF since it was my first QT film :P

I've heard a few entirely plausible arguments for Jackie Brown.

Del Toro pulls out of directing The Hobbit

Sad news from Middle-Earth (or New Zealand, as they still insist on calling it): Guillermo del Toro will no longer direct The Hobbit.

The Mexican director, who has been in heavy development and prep for the Lord of the Rings prequel for the past couple of years, announced the news in a joint statement with producer Peter Jackson via TheOneRing.net just a short while ago.

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life”, says del Toro. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director”.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=28016

You have no idea just how bummed out I am by this. :(

Del Toro pulls out of directing The Hobbit

Sad news from Middle-Earth (or New Zealand, as they still insist on calling it): Guillermo del Toro will no longer direct The Hobbit.

The Mexican director, who has been in heavy development and prep for the Lord of the Rings prequel for the past couple of years, announced the news in a joint statement with producer Peter Jackson via TheOneRing.net just a short while ago.

“In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life”, says del Toro. “After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director”.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=28016

You have no idea just how bummed out I am by this. :(

Might not be the worst thing in the world if PJ returns to direct the project.

Guest Len B'stard

Watched:

I Confess - Monty Clift, Karl Malden, Anne Baxter, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, Clift plays a priest who gets a murder confessed to him but he can't give up the culprit cuz the guy did it in confession and Catholic priests ain't allowed to rat the shit they're told in confession but in doing so he kinda...incriminates himself. Totally cool movie.

Space Cowboys - Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones etc. Now i can find it in me to forgive my heroes anything but this was pretty fuckin lame. Sorry Mr Eastwood but...i dunno, reminded me of Armageddon a bit with the whole storyline of the guy who has to fuckin...die, take one for the team whatever.

Breezy - Amazing romantic drama with William Holden about this real estate dude who falls in love with a footloose fancy free young hippie chick. Its about...age and youth and relationships and...i dunno, its just unmissable, a total gem, seen it like 4 times now and it doesn't tire.

The Recruit - Al Pacino, Colin Farrell...it was OK, i liked it, no great shakes but pretty good :) Never seen a Colin Farrell movie before, he was kinda OK here. Not a lot to judge on but he did the role well enough.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

Watched:

Rebecca - Laurence Olivier, directed by Alfred Hitchcock , about a girl who is like, paid company? Sorta like a call girl i suppose but they don't fuck you, its a high society thing and they're patronised by men as well as women and its just...y'know...there's a word for it, it escapes me at the moment. Anyway she falls in love with this guy, a widower played by Sir Olivier and she goes back to his huge kind of aincent castle/palace of a home where she lives with him and his 20 or so servants and finds herself in the shadow of Rebecca, the widowers dead wife. All very sinister and it kinda unfolds and...yeah, don't wanna ruin it, watch it, 10 out of 10, haven't seen it since i was a kid, haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in general for a long time although i've seen them all at some point or another, i think i've got most of them too and...the hype ain't enough, you gotta go back and watch these gems again, they really are quite magnificent.

Pope of Greenwich Village is one of the greatest films of the 1980s for all the wrong reasons.

Eric Roberts deserved something for that. Maybe just a punch in the face, but something. Rourke's doing his Method Actor bit: crying, reacting very dramatically; while Roberts is camping it up and practically pulling a Jim Carrey. It's like you don't know whether to laugh or cry or both.