Film Thread

ssiscool

Rumblefish is a unique picture, for sure. I thought Dillon was just okay in it, although I can sympathize with the people who think he came off like a cheeseball. Mickey Rourke stole that movie, though, and ran a couple of yards with it. The Motorcycle Boy is one of the great mystery characters of American cinema and it was played with such intricate subtlety.

Any admirers of Park Chan Wook? Oldboy, anyone? Breath-taking is an understatement.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know i didnt fuckin realise that was them til you pointed it out. although why would i, never seen a pic of em. got one of their albums from somebody off here actually, off of your reccomendation i might add. only listened to it the once, maybe its something that takes some digesting but i wasnt like...put it this way, it werent the rocket in the face ohmigod that was the shit type first impression. y'know what else, i saw this thing called saturnalia or something of the like in the record store the other day, thats a you-ism as well isnt it? i have this mental stockpile of bands to listen to :rofl-lol: still didnt get around to seeing Nashville, cant fucking find it anywhere like...convienent to hand in a im in the store oh yeah i remember that i'll get it way :lol: thats the only way i pick up reccomendations, the internet is for like...calculated purchases.

any movies you can reccomend, something far out freaky and fucked up? (got a WHOLE lot of time on my hands lately so im filling it with movies :lol:) make it non-commercial mainstream hollywood crap if ya can ;):lol: AND something i can get in a regular mainstream type store (theres an easy request).

If you haven't already, check out Animal Factory, Willem Dafoe and that kid from T2 and American History X have the lead parts. ;)

Edited by Lithium

y'know what else, i saw this thing called saturnalia or something of the like in the record store the other day

Off topic, but I had a March birthday, and someone got me that record. Basically, I will now love them forever. Get it.

No other Guy Maddin devotees? I've been binging on his movies recently; they're something else. :heart:

Rumblefish anyone? :) im quite the Matt Dillon fan actually, did a really good Bukowski bio recently..

I like him too. Anyone else have a soft spot for Beautiful Girls? Granted, I'm biased, my favorite band have a cameo. But aside from that, it's a very sweet, well written and perfectly cast (give or take Rosie O'Donnell) little film. And with a nifty soundtrack.

you know i didnt fuckin realise that was them til you pointed it out. although why would i, never seen a pic of em. got one of their albums from somebody off here actually, off of your reccomendation i might add. only listened to it the once, maybe its something that takes some digesting but i wasnt like...put it this way, it werent the rocket in the face ohmigod that was the shit type first impression. y'know what else, i saw this thing called saturnalia or something of the like in the record store the other day, thats a you-ism as well isnt it?

Saturnalia is The Gutter Twins, which is my beloved and Mark Lanegan's band. It's gorgeous. Which Whigs record did you hear?

any movies you can reccomend, something far out freaky and fucked up? (got a WHOLE lot of time on my hands lately so im filling it with movies laugh.gif) make it non-commercial mainstream hollywood crap if ya can wink.gif laugh.gif AND something i can get in a regular mainstream type store (theres an easy request).

Have you seen 24 Hour Party People, Control, Secretary or Exotica yet? I recommended them to you forever ago. As recent titles go, King of Kong and Lars & the Real Girl were quite special.

Not sure about recommending much older stuff if the places you frequent can't be trusted to stock an American classic like Nashville... :lol:

Edited by Angelica

y'know what else, i saw this thing called saturnalia or something of the like in the record store the other day

Off topic, but I had a March birthday, and someone got me that record. Basically, I will now love them forever. Get it.

Godamn, you're fabulous! :wub:

Rumblefish is a unique picture, for sure. I thought Dillon was just okay in it, although I can sympathize with the people who think he came off like a cheeseball. Mickey Rourke stole that movie, though, and ran a couple of yards with it. The Motorcycle Boy is one of the great mystery characters of American cinema and it was played with such intricate subtlety.

Any admirers of Park Chan Wook? Oldboy, anyone? Breath-taking is an understatement.

Rumblefish was okay...honestly if it wasn't for motorcycle boy, I would have turned it off halfway through it. Coppola was in decline with this one. I'm watching Year of the Dragon after many yrs and it is hilariously bad. Horrid dialogue and acting. I bought it for it's cinematography but goddamn...cimino is one indulgent director. The ending is just garbage. Yet...the oliver stone script is kinda edgy and even though Rourke over acts...he's kinda magnetic in the movie...basically it's a guilty pleasure. :P

Now Old Boy rocks. I haven't been mind fucked like that since memento. Park Chan Wook, Beat Takeshi, and Steven Chow are probably my favorite asian directors.

Edited by SylvesterStallone

Rumblefish was okay...honestly if it wasn't for motorcycle boy, I would have turned it off halfway through it. Coppola was in decline with this one. I'm watching Year of the Dragon after many yrs and it is hilariously bad. Horrid dialogue and acting. I bought it for it's cinematography but goddamn...cimino is one indulgent director. The ending is just garbage. Yet...the oliver stone script is kinda edgy and even though Rourke over acts...he's kinda magnetic in the movie...basically it's a guilty pleasure. :P

Now Old Boy rocks. I haven't been mind fucked like that since memento. Park Chan Wook, Beat Takeshi, and Steven Chow are probably my favorite asian directors.

I have mixed feelings for Year of the Dragon. The cinematography is gorgeous and the pacing is reminiscent of a great epic, but overall it could have been done a lot better. One of my gripes is the way the John Lone character is so undermined. I mean, this guy is like friggin' Michael Corleone and the way he's made to look like a chump is embarassing. You don't just waste a character of that calibre. Fuck Oliver Stone and Michael Cimino. You can't have some beat-up cop bust into a club, drag the head of The Triads into the bathroom and beat the shit outta him. That just ruins the whole picture right there. Dumbasses.

Can't wait for the next Park Chan Wook flick. It's called Thirst and it's a movie about vampires. It's supposed to be his darkest film yet, which is just tasty.

Right back at ya! :heart:

Lost in Translation. :heart:

Confession time. I've always thought that was bizzarely overrated, but then, I also happen to have really enjoyed Marie Antoinette, so I suppose most people would agree I'm hardly the best of judges when it comes to Coppola's work. :unsure:

Right back at ya! :heart:

Lost in Translation. :heart:

Confession time. I've always thought that was bizzarely overrated, but then, I also happen to have really enjoyed Marie Antoinette, so I suppose most people would agree I'm hardly the best of judges when it comes to Coppola's work. :unsure:

I love both of them. And Virgin Suicides. But Marie Antoinette is terribly underrated. I dug every move she made with that film.

Rumblefish anyone? :) im quite the Matt Dillon fan actually, did a really good Bukowski bio recently..

I like him too. Anyone else have a soft spot for Beautiful Girls? Granted, I'm biased, my favorite band have a cameo. But aside from that, it's a very sweet, well written and perfectly cast (give or take Rosie O'Donnell) little film. And with a nifty soundtrack.

you know i didnt fuckin realise that was them til you pointed it out. although why would i, never seen a pic of em. got one of their albums from somebody off here actually, off of your reccomendation i might add. only listened to it the once, maybe its something that takes some digesting but i wasnt like...put it this way, it werent the rocket in the face ohmigod that was the shit type first impression. y'know what else, i saw this thing called saturnalia or something of the like in the record store the other day, thats a you-ism as well isnt it?

Saturnalia is The Gutter Twins, which is my beloved and Mark Lanegan's band. It's gorgeous. Which Whigs record did you hear?

any movies you can reccomend, something far out freaky and fucked up? (got a WHOLE lot of time on my hands lately so im filling it with movies laugh.gif) make it non-commercial mainstream hollywood crap if ya can wink.gif laugh.gif AND something i can get in a regular mainstream type store (theres an easy request).

Have you seen 24 Hour Party People, Control, Secretary or Exotica yet? I recommended them to you forever ago. As recent titles go, King of Kong and Lars & the Real Girl were quite special.

Not sure about recommending much older stuff if the places you frequent can't be trusted to stock an American classic like Nashville... :lol:

gentlemen? thanks for the reccomendations, gonna give em a pop :)

joy division control???

Edited by ffrankwhite

gentlemen? thanks for the reccomendations, gonna give em a pop :)

joy division control???

If it was Gentlemen, and you didn't get into it, fair enough. As long as it wasn't Up In It or Congregation - they can't be fairly assessed by those records. At the risk of sounding old and condescending, you might like Gentlemen better when you've got a few more years and at least one truly crushing break-up under your belt. :P

Control is Anton Corbijn's film about Ian Curtis. It's beautiful, just don't try it if you're not in the mood to be sad. I'll also add 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, but the same rule applies.

Right at the beginning the dialogue is so clever.

Liz: "Shaun I think we should do more than just"

(Ed Playing a slot machine and losing:"FUCK!")

Shaun:"Let me stop you, I want you to know I love you"

(Ed still losing at the slot machine:"BOLLOCKS")

The dialogue throughout is just unbelievably solid. I don't really like comedies that much, I find that generally films that try to be funny fail badly and the best comedy is the subtle things in 'normal' films, but SotD is just such a great example of comedic writing. It stands up time and time again.

'Tis a shame Hot Fuzz wasn't all that.