Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridin' The Nightrain - is Cloverfield any good? I've heard mixed reviews.

It's way, way better than I ever expected it to be. And I hate Lost so this isn't a biased view.

Basically it's like Blair Witch but set in Manhattan. That's a very good thing. It's really tense and scary without every being disorientating or annoying that the perspective is from one camera. You see enough action for it to not seem restricted and it just has great directing throughout. Definitely one of the best horrors/monster films I've ever seen.

I would write more and better, but it's 6:23am so...

In summary: go watch.

Oh, Harrison, you're so handsome.

So when's this out?

Bottom of the poster dude.

I'm a GNR fan. I need a specific date. Especially a year.

It's too easy to make Crystal Meth jokes about it.

Try making an acronym out of it and you'll find a whole other reason to make fun of it.

TKOTKM

??

I watched Sahara yesterday and it totally got me in the mood for some more Indy.

Sidenote: Sahara is all kinds of amazing fun.

Is it as good as The Mummy?

I watched Taxi Driver last night, that was quite something.

Amazing fukin film so powerful, the 70s were the golden age of american cinema imo.

The first half of that movie is flawless. I can just watch it for the atmosphere. I think the scenes with Foster sort of badly done but then it's still amzing film.

I always thought this movie was about how it's not worth trying to protest or do anything with your life. Like he's just a taxi driver, he has all these ideas and failed missions. He tries to do something about a the phony politician and fails. On the exterior it's about some guy going psycho but underneath that it's quite an apathy message.

I saw Kingpin on Cinemax last night. So funny...better than Big Lebowski (runs for the door)

I always thought the underlying theme of taxi driver was loneliness and the fact that he contradicts himself totally.

And king pin aint in the same fukin league as the big lebowski, "Youre out of your element!"

Amazing fukin film so powerful, the 70s were the golden age of american cinema imo.

The first half of that movie is flawless. I can just watch it for the atmosphere. I think the scenes with Foster sort of badly done but then it's still amzing film.

I always thought this movie was about how it's not worth trying to protest or do anything with your life. Like he's just a taxi driver, he has all these ideas and failed missions. He tries to do something about a the phony politician and fails. On the exterior it's about some guy going psycho but underneath that it's quite an apathy message.

I saw Kingpin on Cinemax last night. So funny...better than Big Lebowski (runs for the door)

I always thought the underlying theme of taxi driver was loneliness and the fact that he contradicts himself totally.

And king pin aint in the same fukin league as the big lebowski, "Youre out of your element!"

Big is better cinematography.

Bill Murray is immense in Kingpin.

Roy: Just because you're familiar with the missionary position doesn't make you a missionary.

Claudia: Look, Mr. Munster, you're not exactly the smartest guy I ever ran across.

Roy: Oh yeah? And who are you, Alfred Einstein?

any fans of Rainer Fassbinder??

Pressberger and Fassbinder?

Maybe.

Roy: Just because you're familiar with the missionary position doesn't make you a missionary.

Claudia: Look, Mr. Munster, you're not exactly the smartest guy I ever ran across.

Maybe.

maybe?

Maybe.

maybe?

Powell & Pressburger. That's what I've seen.

I think Pressburger also worked with Fassbinder.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038733/

Edited by wasted

Maybe.

maybe?

Powell & Pressburger. That's what I've seen.

I think Pressburger also worked with Fassbinder.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038733/

well worth checking out bro :)

Frankie?!?

And yes, obviously.

hey Buff' ;) obviously?

What could I possibly call you teasingly in return...no wait...it'll come to me...

come with it Vampire Slayer, i got you covered :P EDIT: unless its...y'know :lol:

Fassbinder?

What do you recommend?

The Marriage of Maria Braun is pretty tasters choice but its a good starter to quage whether or not you might dig his style :) i quite like Pioneers in Inglo something or other and Women in New York. His televisioney stuff i tend to dig more than his more...expressly cinematic stuffs :) but yeah, start with Maria Braun!!

Edited by ffrankwhite

That sounds like a shaving impliment.

I remember thinking Powell & Pressberger was the greatest movies I ever seen then never really seeing one. This one I was watching on tv was about an angel in WWII and he was talking to god then landing on earth in the middle of a blitz krieg or something. It had ironic value and quality.

But you know I had to watch all of Chevy Chases movies so I never go back to it.

I just watched Ghost World and I thought it was really lovely ^_^. Loved all the characters and it just really reminded me of the sort of "feel" that Juno had. One of those movies where you fall in love with the characters by the end.