Film Thread

ssiscool

After watching it for a third time, I can honestly say that I do not understand why Exotica isn't lauded as Egoyan's masterpiece instead of The Sweet Hereafter. Does anyone else think it is the most gorgeous film of his ever?

I do. And blusey does. :heart:

Leave it to the two most beautiful girls on the forum to share my sentiments towards this awe-inspiring piece of art. :wub:

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it is I don't think it's too bad. It's not a grand, deep film like I think Stone was going for but if you just turn your brain off a bit and take it at face value you can get some enjoyment out of it. I'd rather watch a film like this which is somewhat jokingly twisted and sick rather than all those shitty new horrors which try too hard.

Edited by Ridin' the Nightrain

Natural Born Killers is on Film4 at the moment.

It's even more twisted than I remember. Not even with all the killing and shit, just the directing style. Messes with your mind.

That was exactly the point.

Stone was driving the ultra-violence by making it so over the top and chaotic that it disturbed the viewer. Much like Clockwork Orange had done. But NBK was set up to have multipile film stocks runing with strange footage and cartoons spliced in, contributing to the jarring editing.

Lots of people say the QT version of NBK script was purer and richer in content. Honsetly, I think Stone made that movie more interesting then it would have been from just a journalists view, instead of the killers.

Despite owning NBK on DVD, I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to change it over to Film4.

And ER - as much as I respect your film critique -even going so far as to buy or avoid some DVDs on your reccomendation - I cannot agree with you saying it's a rubbish film.

I've now remember just how much Wayne Gale was an awesome character.

I really couldn't stand how they got away. Stone ended on that note as a political statement for the nineties; especially after OJ, people could get away with murder.

Sorry to double post - but the alternate ending on the DVD is awesome. That guy who Mickey keeps seeing - Oscar was it? - kills them both.

NBK is my favorite Stone film and my favorite 90s film. Not saying it's the best in either case, but it is my favorite. They're all fabulous, but Tommy Lee Jones performance is one of the best comedic turns ever, I think. I'm glad it represents Stone's vision more than QT's, he has a vastly more interesting perspective. I prefer the ending they went with, it's more disturbing that they get away with it.

I saw Vantage Point last night, it was pretty neat I thought. The rewind thing I was getting pissed off with just when it finished, they couldn't have kept that up much longer. I've never seen a Corsa in a car chase before :lol:.

NBK is my favorite Stone film and my favorite 90s film. Not saying it's the best in either case, but it is my favorite. They're all fabulous, but Tommy Lee Jones performance is one of the best comedic turns ever, I think. I'm glad it represents Stone's vision more than QT's, he has a vastly more interesting perspective. I prefer the ending they went with, it's more disturbing that they get away with it.

NBK is possibly one of the few times where Tommy's over the top acting is perfect.

I also watched Prom Night The original not the remake in theaters. :lol:

NBK is possibly one of the few times where Tommy's over the top acting is perfect.

Really? I haven't seen the original for ages. I'm flirting with the idea of seeing the remake this week. Not cause I think it will be good, but cause I think it will be entertainingly awful. At least that's the impression I get from the trailer.

Really? I haven't seen the original for ages. I'm flirting with the idea of seeing the remake this week. Not cause I think it will be good, but cause I think it will be entertainingly awful. At least that's the impression I get from the trailer.

It was on the Space Network on Friday. They had the sequel after it but I read the description alone and knew it would've been terrible.

The re-make does look terrible they clearly ruined which was great about the first film. But I won't say what it was just not to ruin it for anyone.

Taxi Driver is great Deniro, Foster, Keitel Boyle etc. :wub:

Edited by Axl98

I've got a film script written with the two main characters in mind being played by Tommy Lee Jones and Harvey Keitel. I reckon they'd work alongside each other well.

I watched Taxi Driver last night, that was quite something.

Excellent film.

anyone seen chaos with jason stathem?

Jason Statham is lost without Guy Ritchie casting him.

Ridin' The Nightrain - is Cloverfield any good? I've heard mixed reviews.

I watched Taxi Driver last night, that was quite something.

Amazing fukin film so powerful, the 70s were the golden age of american cinema imo.

The first half of that movie is flawless. I can just watch it for the atmosphere. I think the scenes with Foster sort of badly done but then it's still amzing film.

I always thought this movie was about how it's not worth trying to protest or do anything with your life. Like he's just a taxi driver, he has all these ideas and failed missions. He tries to do something about a the phony politician and fails. On the exterior it's about some guy going psycho but underneath that it's quite an apathy message.

I saw Kingpin on Cinemax last night. So funny...better than Big Lebowski (runs for the door)