Film Thread

ssiscool

Saw Sound City last night. It was thoroughly entertaining. Plenty of funny moments and just a fascinating look at some of what went on in this historic studio. Will buy the BR and Grohl's album for sure. A good chunk of material was either glossed over or ignored, but given they had to compress 40 years into about 2 hours that is probably to be expected. I think what is there was great.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only like the first two Die Hard movies.

I love the original and Vengence. The second has its moments, but it also falls foul of many of the worst and cheapest tendencies bad sequels have (Bedelia and Atherton being on the same plane etc). The script is weak and Renny Harlin is....Renny Harlin. Vengence is so tongue in cheek it veers toward parody, but in a wonderful self-aware way.

Simon says that Die Hard 2 is much better than part 3.

Flora watched them back to back yesterday and violently disagrees!

It just wasn't a Die Hard movie without Carl Winslow; Samuel L. Jackson didn't cut it for me. However, in fairness, I don't believe I've watched any of them since the 90's.

Edited by Randy Lahey

What was bad about it? The writing?

The script is indeed horrid - both the conceit and the nuts and bolts writing, there's no redeeming value to it. It's just painful. Willis looks (justifably) ashamed and not a single other actor or character registers. Worst of all, it's boring.

The new Die Hard was indeed a letdown. It wasn't horrible, but it suffers from poor writing (the dialogue in particular definitely needed a polish) and bad directing.

The biggest problem was that it relied too heavily on action and awful shaky cam work. It felt nothing like a Die Hard movie. The feel was totally lost. The horrid cinematography didn't help matters, and the sound editing was some of the worst I've seen in a recent film. Some of the dialogue was barely audible. I'd blame the theater but I've seen this commonly criticized in reviews of the film.

His son was just annoying. I get what they were going for but it failed big time. The plot was lame and there wasn't enough of John McClane outsmarting the villains, probably because the villains were so bad.

There were a few redeeming factors - the opening car chase was fun, Bruce Willis at least still felt like John McClane even though he wasn't given much to do, and the finale was a fun action scene too. The problem is nothing connected. It was like someone picked a bunch of random action scenes, threw them together and called it Die Hard. It was neither coherent nor consistent, and John Moore was a terrible choice for director.

If they do make a sixth, I sincerely hope they get a good director and find a tight plot and a good villain.

Bruce seems to control the movies, he just wants to look cool in his movies. Doesnt really care about the movie. He prob took all the money for script and director. The studio put his name and Die hard on the poster and shot the first script they got other than Bruces suggestions.

Even with the bad reviews it's going to finish in either the first or second spot this weekend (it's running pretty close with Safe Haven), so it should do fine to make its money back. I can't see it being incredibly profitable though. Bruce was pumped about Live Free or Die Hard and praised in from the beginning of production right through its release. I haven't heard him say much about this one, so cash grab on his part could be right. He's adamant about making a sixth though.

I watched 'Shame' last night. It wasn't bad but the script was flawed. It didn't explain the reasons for the main character's sex addiction, nor did it define the relationship between him and his sister very well. It was hard to have any emotional connection to them as a result. Making good films is fucking hard. I really don't see many films that I love.

I've watched 3 random movies (Jacob's Ladder, Annie Hall and Fight Club) I own over the past 3 nights. And I realized tonight that each movie had a main character whose last name was Singer.

I watched 'Shame' last night. It wasn't bad but the script was flawed. It didn't explain the reasons for the main character's sex addiction, nor did it define the relationship between him and his sister very well. It was hard to have any emotional connection to them as a result. Making good films is fucking hard. I really don't see many films that I love.

I love Shame! It didn't explain those things on purpose because you are supposed to think about them after the movie is over.

Edited by Randy Lahey