Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

10 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Is that were the text color changes depending as the author writes about the human kid in the real world and whaht happens in the fantasy world? I remember reading it as a kid.

Yeah that's the one. The text doesn't change color in the book I have but it's the same story you're talking about.

ok totally in summer mode so i grabbed a book from a box of books i bought on Ebay. i read a lot so i buy books in bulk sometimes :) anyway, saw this one called The Beach House so i grabbed it and took it to bed. it was actually pretty good! it was about a woman who goes to the Lowcountry ( in South Carolina ) to see her dying mom. her mom is a "Turtle Lady", she and some other people look out for the loggerhead turtles when they come and lay there eggs until the time the eggs hatch and when they can they help the hatchlings make it safely to the sea. the really interesting part was at the beginning of each chapter there is a paragraph or so about the turtles; how they live, why they do what they do, how they lay so many eggs yet only about one in a thousand hatchlings will make it and even how the adult turtles are endangered because of things like getting caught in fishing nets or cut by boat propellars. there is also a hurricane thrown in and i learned a lot about hurricanes i never knew.

i thoroughly enjoyed it. oh and the author is Mary Alice Monroe :) 

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

ok totally in summer mode so i grabbed a book from a box of books i bought on Ebay. i read a lot so i buy books in bulk sometimes :) anyway, saw this one called The Beach House so i grabbed it and took it to bed. it was actually pretty good! it was about a woman who goes to the Lowcountry ( in South Carolina ) to see her dying mom. her mom is a "Turtle Lady", she and some other people look out for the loggerhead turtles when they come and lay there eggs until the time the eggs hatch and when they can they help the hatchlings make it safely to the sea. the really interesting part was at the beginning of each chapter there is a paragraph or so about the turtles; how they live, why they do what they do, how they lay so many eggs yet only about one in a thousand hatchlings will make it and even how the adult turtles are endangered because of things like getting caught in fishing nets or cut by boat propellars. there is also a hurricane thrown in and i learned a lot about hurricanes i never knew.

i thoroughly enjoyed it. oh and the author is Mary Alice Monroe :) 

That sounds like a truly lovely read.  And I love the buying books in bulk!!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

thank you :) now i just need like oh 10 or so bookshelves to put them in! :P

Its so hard to just get rid of a book you like, eh?!  I have a bunch stacked on floor behind my desk and some in my very deep kitchen cabinets!  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

LOL that and there are some i have not even read yet :)

my cookbooks are in a cabinet in my kitchen ;)

:)

It is weird about my kitchen.  There are many non cook books packed away in there.  Kindle-ing I suppose :P

• Like 1

Checking in with the Gospel According to John.  My fave because by chapter 2, boom, Jesus is already smashing up the bankers.  Other Gospel you gotta wait till the 20 somethingth chapter.   That but also I love, love , love chapter 1 where the author, writing to the Greeks, announces that the Reason they've sought has been manifest in Word and flesh.  The Logo(s) if you dig etymology.

By Chapter 3 he's engaged in Women's Lib, then later He's undoing the unwellness of hierarchical oppressors.  Then he breaks the rules of the market place by sharing the abundance of nature for free, feeding multitudes with no gain to be made. From here it really speeds up when Jesus openly defies the religious authorities - sealing His fate.  Then He hurriedly shares the merciful truths of love, justice and logic encoded in Gods creation that are being hidden by religious authorities and hierarchical economics.  Arrested, He doesn't give a f#^k about honouring the Roman leadership who could save His life, then when two layers of State agree to have the Romans execute him he invents the political thought and spiritual plain of anarchism by refusing to stay dead when he'd been expressly commanded to be dead.  Some more contribution to Women's Lib, a plea for community self-determination under the gentle intentions of Creation and then He bounces. 

Good read, so much more there. Highly recommend!

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

On July 31, 2017 at 9:42 AM, KiraMPD said:

Started reading The Turner Diaries (by William Luther Pierce) last weekend outta curiosity. 

Fuckin hell, this is one book I would happily burn... :facepalm:

Oh, thats the book that inspired Timothy McVie, if Im not mistaken?

On the other end of the spectrum, I was traveling by plane with a person of interest, to a gathering that was certainly monitored, and they decided to read Edward Abbeys the Monkey Wrench Gang on the airplane.  This novel has a major place in the culture of Earth First and ELF - groups labeled "eco-terrorists." Then a stranger came up and said "Oh great book" and started chatting.  I was freaking out.

• Like 1