Books/Reading Thread

axlrose15

Rereading some memoirs of the last NA revolutionary period (1965-85).  They're mostly rather light reads.  Finished Love and Struggle by David Gilbert and Angela Davis's Autobiography.  Planning to reread  Guerrilla USA by Daniel Burton-Rose (if i can get it back from a friend).  And a more in depth political history in Black Mask And Up Against The Wall Mother Fucker by Ron Hahne

Edited by soon

Finally finished "Brent jord" by Asbjørn Jaklin. It's about the scorched earth tactics of the Nazis as they retreated from Northern Norway and how the Norwegian people suffered as a consequence. In some counties every home, stable, boathouse and outhouse was burned to the ground. They even, on occasion, used explosives to dismantle the foundations of the houses so people, especially the advancing Soviet army couldn't use them. Thousands of people refused to be evacuated and instead hid in the mountains and the forests, only to be hunted down by the Nazis. Those that decided to be evacuated suffered onboard crowded boats, fearing attacks by Allied troops.

9788205484290.jpg?w=960 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Finally finished "Brent jord" by Asbjørn Jaklin. It's about the scorched earth tactics of the Nazis as they retreated from Northern Norway and how the Norwegian people suffered as a consequence. In some counties every home, stable, boathouse and outhouse was burned to the ground. They even, on occasion, used explosives to dismantle the foundations of the houses so people, especially the advancing Soviet army couldn't use them. Thousands of people refused to be evacuated and instead hid in the mountains and the forests, only to be hunted down by the Nazis. Those that decided to be evacuated suffered onboard crowded boats, fearing attacks by Allied troops.

9788205484290.jpg?w=960 

It is a pity your fascist become the eponym for all collaborative fascist traitors everywhere!

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

At least you put up a bit of a fight, and there was a continuation after the occupation by an exiled government, Norwegians joining the RAF etc. The way the Danes capitulated was quite frankly embarrassing.

A bit of a fight is pretty accurate. Could have been more. Quisling's party Nasjonal Samling (NS) was quite popular and many Norwegians chose to collaborate with the Nazis, often because they feared the Red Army. Our own national shame.

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

A bit of a fight is pretty accurate. Could have been more. Quisling's party Nasjonal Samling (NS) was quite popular and many Norwegians chose to collaborate with the Nazis, often because they feared the Red Army. Our own national shame.

Yes, there were a number - perhaps 6 -7,000 - who fought in the Waffen-SS. Incidentally Anni-Fried from ABBA was the daughter of a Norwegian mother who was shagged by a German Wehrmacht sergeant; to avoid the shame in post-occupation Europe, her grand-mother whisked her off to Sweden.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Yes, there were a number - perhaps 6 -7,000 - who fought in the Waffen-SS. Incidentally Anni-Fried from ABBA was the daughter of a Norwegian mother who was shagged by a German Wehrmacht sergeant; to avoid the shame in post-occupation Europe, her grand-mother whisked her off to Sweden.

Thousands of Norwegians girls had...relations with German soldiers during the war. Many of them were shamed through public shaving after the war. Any kids they got from their liasion with Germans were in risk of being stigmatized and ostrasized. Even up to this date many people born from such "wrong" love affairs have been fearful to talk about their parents - out of fear for condemnation or because they themselves have been led to believe it is shameful.

Just like Norwegian girls falling in love with German soldiers, or from strategic considerations decided to ally themselves with the enemy, many Norwegian men either joined the NS, were sympathetic to all or parts of the enemy's ideology, or worked for the Nazis to support themselves and their families.

It is a complicated picture of people either willingly, being forced to, or being helpless to avoid it, engaging peacefully with the invading army -- and this can be difficult to resolve in the black and white delirium of liberation years. 

The Norwegian army was puny and couldn't do much. But we did have a resistance army - and they are rightfully cherished as heroes because of the danger they accepted to help fight against an invading army. But all in all I feel we could have done more to oppose to enemy. I guess just not everyone considered them to be the enemy. Also, as the German army started to withdraw from Northern Norway at the end of the war, the Soviets couldn't understand why Norwegians didn't help out to push them back and drive them away. The Soviets had to do a lot of the brute work, basically liberating vast tracts of Norway, while many Norwegians hid or looked the other way. Fact is, many Norwegians feared the Soviets more than the Germans, and we didn't really have an organized army, it was destroyed, splintered, or led by Allied troops. The Norwegian Government tried to convince the allied forces to attack in Northern Europe, but it was decided that the troops was more badly needed in Central Europe, and this meant that Norwegians soldiers and equipment was also directed away from Norway and towards the raging war in Germany.  

On 18.9.2017 at 5:32 PM, SoulMonster said:

9788205484290.jpg?w=960 

My grandmother has a few stories about the evacuation up here during the war, she said the sky looked like a sunset when the Germans were burning the buildings

Very interesting tactical/strategic study - the soldiers in that picture are of the New Zealand division incidentally,

516IW-WkeGL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The division my great-grandfather was in. Northern lads, Tykes and Geordies, showing the southern fairies how to get the job done in whipping the Boches,

5127n84oZxL._SY346_.jpg

I am beginning this,
51KXGDCH9EL._SX297_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Haunted by James Patterson

5 hours ago, wondering where's izzy? said:

I'm trying my hand at book reviews on Youtube. Here's one of my most recent on Caleb Carrs "The Alienist."

I know I read this book, but it was boring to me, so I have no idea what it was about, but I'm anxious to see the TNT tv show because Luke Evans is on it. I like anything to do with serial killers.

5 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I used to read a lot a few years ago but just kind of stopped out of nowhere. Made myself start again two weeks ago and have read Sphere (Michael Crichton) and I'm about halfway through Insomnia (Stephen King).

Insomnia is a great novel. Easily one of my favourites from King. I'll start to read Song of Susannah soon.

Edited by Sosso

On 9/4/2017 at 4:51 PM, Len Cnut said:

To be fair Tupacs book of poems is reasonably awful :lol:  I mean he was 15 when he wrote em so there is that but still, it is what it is.  Rumi is quite fantastic.

never read/heard a Tupac poem other than 'The Rose...', it's OK but I don't think i'll be buying the book

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:17 PM, janrichmond said:

@dontdamnmeuyi2015 Harlem Coben writes murder/mystery nothing political:lol: 

A friend of mine actually gave me one of Harlan's books called "Missing you". I will read it soon and let you know what I think. We've been trading books back and forth. It's cool to read new books by new authors. I just love to read any good mystery or horror book.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2017 at 10:08 PM, janrichmond said:

I love murder/mystery books, I don't read any other fiction, there has to be something to try and work out. have you read Eeny Meeny by M J Arlidge?

You should read Christopher Brookmyre. I'd recommend A Tale Etched in Blood and Hard Black Pencil.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

Just got Bram Stoker's Dracula and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.

I'm actually partway through Dracula now. Started it while on vacation this past summer but let it sit until about 2 days ago.

I worked at a bookstore in college and picked up this bookmark right before I graduated. I've been slowly trying to knock some books off the list ever since. Totally thought Dracula was on the bookmark but am just now realizing it's not. The book's obviously a classic, so I'm looking forward to getting through it regardless.

• Like 1