OFFICIAL 'TAIPEI, TAIWAN 11/12/09' SHOW THREAD

Gordon Comstock

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GNR are better than ever!!!!

DJ Ashba is way better than Slash!!!!

Take a long deep breath. Ok. That's good. Now revise your above statement. Even DJ wouldn't go that far. The boy can play but a guitar god he ain't...yet.

I think that you should take a longer deep breath. Do you play guitar? I would consider slash a very good guitar player but I have seen so many videos of the guy and he is amazing. He also has the issue of everything he plays is off your standard A blues scale (take SweetChild). He is good. He has Style. Now look at DJ. The web isn't necessarily littered with his videos of solos and such. I do think that he could, if we see more of him, be way better than slash. I don't think that you should judge Slash as being the best guitar player in the world and judging him as a guitar god strictly on opinion. Granted you did not say "best in the world" but you know you think he is. Look he is good but is limited. Axl needed breathing room and got other guitarists to complement his new style. I definitely think that DJ and Slash could be equally leveled or one could be better but as far as I am concerned don't call Slash amazing simply because he is on the cover of guitar hero and can shred.

I think that you should take a longer deep breath. Do you play guitar? I would consider slash a very good guitar player but I have seen so many videos of the guy and he is amazing. He also has the issue of everything he plays is off your standard A blues scale

he may favor it, but that's not everything he plays. Something like Obsession Confession or the outro of Double Talkin' Jive would never work if that were the case...

It may just be me hearing things, but when you listen to the audio of the entire show....during Ron's solo.....at 1.31.21....it sounds like.......Estranged :o. What you reckon? Just very briefly

That is indeed the main riff from Estranged, unless my ears are horribly deceiving me. FUCKING AWESOME, that can only meen he's been practicing :P!!

It may just be me hearing things, but when you listen to the audio of the entire show....during Ron's solo.....at 1.31.21....it sounds like.......Estranged :o. What you reckon? Just very briefly

That is indeed the main riff from Estranged, unless my ears are horribly deceiving me. FUCKING AWESOME, that can only meen he's been practicing :P!!

ESTRANGED NO DOUBT!!! NEXT COMA AND BREAKDOWN!!

Yep, it'll be played soon... nice teaser...

Coma is one I'd doubt they'd add. It's a killer song, but it was Slash's baby, so you know... probably not. Which is too bad. The few times they played it live they tore the place down.. it would be interesting to see what he could do with it now.

Breakdown would be awesome.

Personally, I think Dead Horse would be a great addition to this set. Think About You was the best antique addition to the last tour. Estranged would be an antique miracle, and I think it's coming. Second to that would be Dead Horse for me.

All he needs to do is lose around 70-80 lbs. lol and he will look the best he's looked in over a decade. I wonder who convinced him to take out those braids.

He isnt even fat!!! he looks great, I am 46, I know alot of guys that are over 46 and they are going bald and have huge bellys, Axl looks great!

All he needs to do is lose around 70-80 lbs. lol and he will look the best he's looked in over a decade. I wonder who convinced him to take out those braids.

He isnt even fat!!! he looks great, I am 46, I know alot of guys that are over 46 and they are going bald and have huge bellys, Axl looks great!

Yes! I am 45 and I totally agree!!

My two cents are as follows:

I am really looking forward to hearing this in a really good quality. Someone out there had to have gotten this right? I mean someone that has the capabilities to make it pro looking and sounding.

Although the quality isnt the best, and that may skew my view some but, In my humble opinion its the best this new band and possibly, the band period, has ever sounded. Axl sounds like he has the power and force behind his vocals again. Although I do think that he has some work to do. This I Love sounded great except for the end. That needs a little work, but I think by the 3rd 4th show he'll be hitting that. As for his looks, not that they really matter to me, he does look a little heavy but Im sure that will come off with the tour. I like the no braids, but not a fan of that mustache. He needs the goat, a beard, or nothing. That thing kinda reminds of the village people.

DJ Ashba seems to be a perfect fit. I think he is filling Slashs shoes very admirablly. As many have said, the dude looks like he belongs in Guns, not NIN, or whatever the hell it is Bucket is. I do think Bucket can play but he just didnt look right in Guns. And I think DJ plays much, much, much better then Robin. I think Robin playing TIL live would be a dissaster, hes just to sloppy.

I do miss Brain though. I think Frank is good but he doesnt make me listen to the drums like Brain does. If you know what I mean.

So thats my two cents. Im 32, been a fan forever, and its exciting that Axl is coming out of hiding again and tearing up a stage with an extremely talented band, and so far this may be the best of those bands. Hopefully it will last and they will put another CD out by summer next year, or sooner.

I will go back to lurking now.

My thoughts:

Setlist is great overall, i'd like Nightrain and Prostitute but I'm sure we'll get them so I'm not complaining

Based on the bootleg so far they seem to take a while between songs, I guess it's just first show kinks

Axl looks like a true rockstar again, almost like a bulldog lol

More importantly his voice is spot on, perfect control over rasp vs. melody

DJ is great, he plays like slash but with more flow and less blues, at least he has his own (awesome) style

Fortus and Tommy and still just as good as always, they're just there shredding the riffs down for the band

BBF seems almost hiding, I can't see him in the vids and haven't seen pics but I'm sure he's still fine, I can hear him on some solos i think

SCOM was pure brilliance, the solo plus the singalong choruses were mindblowing

GNR NEEDS TO COME TO SEATTLE!

Edited by WelcomeToTheBumble-

After watching the pit video of Sweet Child, I have to say, I'm really impressed with Ashba. I wasn't expecting to be but honestly, what a wonderful surprise! I'm not knocking Slash and full props to him for writing the solo originally but I have to say...Ashba played that solo better than Slash did live when I saw him New Years Eve 92-93. Flame-suit on but that's the simple truth, this band is a monster machine live right now.

SWEET CHILD O MINE -- FILMED FROM THE PIT!

RON SOLO -- FILMED FROM THE PIT!

*added to the oringinal post, as well.... AWESOME QUALITY!!!!!!!!!!

As the French would say : tout ça... pour ça ?

All that... for this?!

I know it's cool seeing that Axl can still sing, but if you take a step back and look at what have been the last 15 years you can't help the feeling of an immense waste of time and, most important, you can't help to ask yourself if it was really necessary to fight so hard against the original members... After all, Axl is still mostly playing the material of the original band, even after 15 years...

Edited by axlfan88

SWEET CHILD O MINE -- FILMED FROM THE PIT!

RON SOLO -- FILMED FROM THE PIT!

*added to the oringinal post, as well.... AWESOME QUALITY!!!!!!!!!!

As the French would say : tout ça... pour ça ?

All that... for this?!

I know it's cool seeing that Axl can still sing, but if you take a step back and look at what have been the last 15 years you can't help the feeling of an immense waste of time and, most important, you can't help to ask yourself if it was really necessary to fight so hard against the original members... After all, Axl is still mostly playing the material of the original band, even after 15 years...

*shakes head* If you look at the set-list it leans heavily on CD tunes. This list is exactly what we needed to see to prove that this is a viable current band NOT a nostalgia only act! It's a great band, sounding fantastic playing live, great stage show and lots of new material in the list, what else do you want? :question:

Edited by mcalldp