What Changed? The NEW Axl Rose

GeorgeGlass

Ok, I'm still an old GNR guy and always will be, but its refreshing to see Axl back on the road and further, seeming to have a good time. His posts on Twitter and visits to the forum indicate at least in part that he wants to be more connected to the fans, for better or worse. We know nothing will ever be conventional with him, so that comes with the territory and quite frankly is part of his persona, but what changed or what clicked that's got Axl doing the things he's doing now? It's a loaded and speculative question, but you have to admit it's very intriguing...there just wasn't this 'feel' about him in '02 or even '06 - that those shows were done more for money than pleasure. He appears to actually be enjoying these '09-'10 shows. Does he finally have some guys he's truly comfortable with, or is it something else?

I'd love for him to address this but that isn't likely, so I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he finally did away with something that may have been eating him alive. Releasing the album was probably a big step, but there was still a year of silence afterwards, so it was probably something else. What this was is beyond me, if there was anything at all. Maybe he's just a strange fella'.

Edited by LightningBolt

I think he finally did away with something that may have been eating him alive. Releasing the album was probably a big step, but there was still a year of silence afterwards, so it was probably something else. What this was is beyond me, if there was anything at all. Maybe he's just a strange fella'.

I hope he does address it in some way, at some point in time. It's just very, very interesting.

Axl is at a point where he knows the things he has to do: perform well and keep at least a one-way route of communication open to the public.

He has clearly put a great deal into his performance and vocal ability this time around and now he has the outlet to speak his mind in whatever way he wants. It's funny that it had to be something as commercial as Twitter, but it makes sense.

I love how the "new Axl" communicates with his fans more. Twitter is a GREAT tool to use, and I hope he keeps going with it because he utilizes it perfectly - he posts just enough, not too much and not too little. He appears to be happier than he's been for a while and seems to be honestly enjoying this tour. I think even HE was surprised with the amount of support he's getting from the fans!

In my opinion a lot of this has to do with having Chinese Democracy FINALLY being released, and also having a period of rest in between the release and the tour. He was working on that album for a long fucking time, and it was most likely an exhausting process. He got the damn thing out and had a year to recuperate and get himself lean and mean, and I think that did wonders for him.

I like the "new Axl" :)

I hope he does address it in some way, at some point in time. It's just very, very interesting.

Agreed. I feel happy FOR him. It seems like he's really enjoying what's going on. I would love to hear his take on it...

Boy would it be interesting for him to come in here and weigh in on this...

I think it was the album personally, but honestly, none of us fuckin' know for sure

That's why I eventually decided to post this topic. If you think about it, it is one of the most interesting things to think about, partly due to the fact that we'll only know if he decides to talk about it. It'd probably change a lot of people's minds on the events of the past 10 years and might help crystalize how he got to this point. I'd only ask that he be completely honest about it (still not buying that the breakup was no fault of his, as indicated by his posts).

Yea, none of us will know for sure, but I'd say it was a combination of the album coming out, and the amount of support he got on the asia and CDN tours. Seriously, I haven't read a single bad review, which is pretty awesome. Plus, its like he's finally free to do whatever he wants now.... He can now come out and not only play, but talk about the new songs, as well as little personal things, and he's able to do 3 hour shows on a mammoth stage - who wouldn't be stoked about that!?

i dont think axl has changed, its just our perceptions have changed. axl has always been axl, whether he was on twitter or not. people just assumed in the silent periods that he hated us or something. every show i was at seemed the same, axl was so cool and positive. people were shocked at his good mood, you get that sense from a lot of the reviews as well.

maybe they just had the wrong idea about axl?

its clear the public perception is way off.

axl bad, slash good, raaawwwr.

wtf ever.

Guest deleted_19765

I think it has more to do with just how miserable Axl was in previous years. I can't even watch the Tokyo DVD anymore because I notice how bored and dissatisfied he looks. Maybe he's just becoming acclimated with the stage now in addition to trusting and loving his bandmates. By this I don't mean that Axl was ever a poor performer, even in a show like Tokyo he did his best, but you can't help showing it if the heart is absent. I wouldn't be surprised if he appreciates the experience of touring much more now.

I think it has more to do with just how miserable Axl was in previous years. I can't even watch the Tokyo DVD anymore because I notice how bored and dissatisfied he looks. Maybe he's just becoming acclimated with the stage now in addition to trusting and loving his bandmates. By this I don't mean that Axl was ever a poor performer, even in a show like Tokyo he did his best, but you can't help showing it if the heart is absent. I wouldn't be surprised if he appreciates the experience of touring much more now.

he is happy now. not surprising, cancer is such a buzzkill.

Why do you hang out and post on a GnR website if you hate Axl, his new band and the new album.

I can't stand Limp Bizket - so I don't spend time on their forum.

Why do you visit the website of a band that you don't like. Makes no sense.

I don't think it has anything to do with finding some sort of a long-long passion for the stage, or finally feeling comfortable with his bandmates. I think that has always been there, period, since the first comeback shows. What I think changed are the number of bullshit lawsuits against him from his former bandmates. As he told us here, the legal web he was entangled in, thanks to Slash and co. prohibited him from doing a lot of things- probably even going online and talking to fans about stuff. Again, I could be wrong, but I honestly think one of the reasons he's able to be more communicative these days are due to maybe judges finally seeing that Slash's lawsuits (edit: or any other unnecessary suits from other parties) are baseless/"frivolous"/bunk, whatever, and Axl isn't as barred from speaking out as he once was. Now, i could be completely wrong because I don't know what his legal docket looks like, but this is just my guess. As far as him loving being on stage though; I don't think that's anything new. The passion has always been there, I think.

Know what's funny about all those newsstories? They're all in some way negative against Axl. Madison loved finding that kind of shit and posting it here for everybody to be made aware of. Go back and look at the majority of her postings, versus HV's, Montrealer's, and other mods. Madison was queen of posting shit that was not helpful to the band in any way. I still believe she had a secret agenda to hurt the band, but I won't go into it now, because that would make about as much sense as playing One In a Million today (haha you see what I did there?). Topic's already been beaten to death and we've all pretty much reached a verdict on it. Now sorry for the off-topic content.

Edited by there is no dana only zool