Axl Rose makes it to the Rock N Roll Hall Of Shame on the Worst Singers List

Subtle Signs

Now,we all love a good list. I have said many times, that I prefer Axl Rose's voice to anyone, even Freddie Mercury. To me,Axl will always be the best singer. So before any of you GNR-Educators bash me for posting the list,know that this kind of discussion is what makes this Forum different from others. We know how long this list would last over at you know where.

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/music/2010/02/12/12853411.html

By DARRYL STERDAN, QMI Agency

It was only a matter of time — but honestly, I’m amazed it took so long.

Two weeks ago, Taylor Swift finally cemented her status as the queen of country-pop by winning four Grammys, including album of the year. For someone who has sold as many CDs as she has, it was inevitable.

Equally inevitable: The backlash.

Thanks primarily to her stunningly tone-deaf Grammy performance, Swift ended up being the big story on Grammy night — but not in the way she had wished. Critical opinion of her three-song mini-set — which included a mercifully brief duet with Stevie Nicks on Fleetwood Mac’s Rhiannon — ranged from the somewhat diplomatic “painfully out of tune” to the slightly more pointed “off-key caterwauling.”

Even my e-mail inbox was swiftly stuffed with missives from co-workers, friends and readers using terms like “wretched,” “gawdawful” and “couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket.” And the comments in the Twitterverse were even nastier (my favourite: “God hopes Taylor Swift does not thank Him”).

But for those who just noticed Swift leaves something to be desired as a live singer, I have one question: Where have you been?

Guess you weren’t watching when she butchered Brenda Lee’s I’m Sorry on last year’s Grammy nominations concert (and yeah, she oughta be sorry). Presumably, you missed all the sour notes she spewed atop Def Leppard’s Pour Some Sugar on Me during their duet at last summer’s CMT Music Awards.

And there’s plenty more where they came from; if you’re a glutton for punishment, scour YouTube and you can find ample proof that while Swift may be pretty, personable and a passable dancer, she is hardly the most skilled vocalist.

Amazingly, even her record label agrees with the last part of that assessment.

“Maybe she’s not the best technical singer,” admitted Big Machine CEO Scott Borchetta, blaming Swift’s performance (this time) on technical problems, “but she’s probably the best emotional singer ... the undisputed best communicator that we’ve got. When she says something, when she sings something, when she feels something, it affects more people than anybody else.”

He didn’t stop there: “She is the voice of this generation,” he claimed. That’s right: Taylor Swift is today’s Bob Dylan.

And you know what? Ludicrous as that statement sounds, he’s absolutely right.

Swift truly is the voice of this generation — a generation of coddled kids who believe fame and fortune are their birthright, talent and originality are not required, and paying your dues is for losers who are too ugly to get on reality TV.

Of course, Swift is hardly the worst musical offender of Generation Y Not Me 2. Or the first poor singer to inflict herself on the pop-culture landscape.

From the drowning-sackful-of-cats wailing of Yoko Ono to the homeless-hobo rumblings of Tom Waits, there are plenty of famous folks, legitimate artists and even true geniuses out there whose vocal chops wouldn’t make it past the first round on Idol.

With that in mind, and because people love snarky lists, here’s a roundup of some of the most melody-challenged singers of today — and all time.

Today’s Worst Singers

1) Taylor Swift: She has sold millions of albums. She has won four Grammys. She has dated a Jonas brother and a Twilight star. The one thing this 20-year-old superstar can’t seem to do is sing live.

2) Chad Kroeger: Nickelback’s frontman may not have invented that post-grunge moose-in-heat bellow he relies on, but nobody does it better than he does. And by better, I mean worse.

3) Anthony Kiedis: The Red Hot Chili Peppers frontman is truly a triple threat: He can barely hold a note, he’s a terrible rapper and his lyrics are rhyming-dictionary gobbledygook.

4) Madonna: Give her credit: She has taken a meagre amount of ability and parlayed it into an empire. But, seriously, nobody is going to mistake her for Beyonce anytime soon.

5) Britney Spears: Like Madonna, Brit-Brit has done pretty well with a minimum of vocal talent. But when you choose to lip-synch live so you can pull off dance moves, you’re just not a singer.

6) Ashlee Simpson: Actually, who knows? Maybe the young Simspon can wail like Celine Dion. But ever since she got busted lip-synching on Saturday Night Live, nobody would believe her anyway.

7) Paris Hilton: The biggest surprise about how lousy Paris Hilton’s album was? The fact that she didn’t just hire somebody far more talented to sing for her.

8) Lil Wayne: A great rapper? Indisputably. But as a singer — especially on his mediocre new “rock” CD Rebirth — Wayne singlehandedly justifies the existence of AutoTune.

9) Justin Bieber: Sure, the kid is just 15. But here’s the thing: He sounds like it. He may have potential. But right now, he’s just a goofy hairstyle and a marketing scheme.

10) The Disney/Idol/Reality TV hordes: Ashley and Heidi and Bo and Zac and Hilary and Vanessa and Selena — for the most part, I can’t tell them apart. Nor am I even vaguely interested in doing so. Life is too short, you know?

What do you think? You can weigh in HERE!

The Best Of The Worst:

(All lists in alphabetical order)

WTF? Sometimes, you have to wonder what people are thinking.

- The B-52’s

- Björk

- Wild Man Fischer

- Nina Hagen

- William Hung

- Jandek

- Florence Foster Jenkins

- Yoko Ono

- Sanjaya

- Tiny Tim

Rock ’n’ Roll Hall of Shame:

Most of them are getting older, but not much better.

- Randy Bachman

- Billy Corgan

- Jennifer Lopez

- Courtney Love

- Linda McCartney

- Shane MacGowan

- Iggy Pop

- Axl Rose

- Spice Girls

- Ringo Starr

Personality Goes a Long Way:

These folks can’t really sing — but it doesn’t really matter. They’re still great.

- Captain Beefheart

- Kurt Cobain

- Bob Dylan

- Marianne Faithfull

- Billie Holiday

- Janis Joplin

- Keith Richards

- Patti Smith

- Tom Waits

- Neil Young

Radio Killed the Video Star:

TV and movie folk who should have known better.

- Phyllis Diller

- Lorne Greene

- Goldie Hawn

- Leonard Nimoy

- Jack Palance

- Joe Pesci

- Regis Philbin

- William Shatner

- Jack Webb

- Mae West

Edited by xGNRxSTARx

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not slagging you off dude but it's a bit of a pointless post. All they've done is say Axl sucks, no critcism, no justification, nothing. Kinda makes it hard to offer an opinion or start any kind of debate really.

I am sure that some people on here feel that Taylor Swift should not be on the list at all.

Me.

I like her and thinks she does fine; You don't have to be Pavarotti or Whitney Houston to make good tunes.

Love this track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUjLHhC3oEs

Edited by SunnyDRE

Guest RonMexico82

If I see the term "GNR-Educators™" on here again I am going to scream. It is seriously getting old putting that in every goddamn post you make man. It just reeks of a smug condescending attitude that you are a fuckin expert on everything GNR and that anyone with a different opinion is wrong.

If I see the term "GNR-Educators™" on here again I am going to scream. It is seriously getting old putting that in every goddamn post you make man. It just reeks of a smug condescending attitude that you are a fuckin expert on everything GNR and that anyone with a different opinion is wrong.

Lul "GNR-Educators™"

I'm new here, what the fuck is a "GNR-Educator™"???

If it's what i think it is..Why not just 'Dedicated fans'?

Bones-

Kurt Cobain continues to be one of the most over-rated talents ever. They guy was an excellent song-writer but he had zero personality. Nevermind is a great album. In Utero is a good album. If you end Guns career at Appetite, Lies, Illusions and then Axl dies before making the liberal media hate him then he is hailed. Predjuduce against Axl for a few thing: One in a Million, accusations of violence against women, spoke his mind about the talentless media. If he was a liberal like Vedder or Cobain and championed causes that the left wing media loves then Axl would be hailed the genius performer that in fact he is. Instead, he is written up the opposite by a lot more than this guy.

Kurt Cobain continues to be one of the most over-rated talents ever. They guy was an excellent song-writer but he had zero personality. Nevermind is a great album. In Utero is a good album. If you end Guns career at Appetite, Lies, Illusions and then Axl dies before making the liberal media hate him then he is hailed. Predjuduce against Axl for a few thing: One in a Million, accusations of violence against women, spoke his mind about the talentless media. If he was a liberal like Vedder or Cobain and championed causes that the left wing media loves then Axl would be hailed the genius performer that in fact he is. Instead, he is written up the opposite by a lot more than this guy.

I don't think it did him any favours to be honest.

Start screaming,Broham cause it ain't going away anytime soon. You can thank,BBA cause he came up with it!

Yeah, that's a role model to follow

Hasn't RHCP been around LONGER than GNR? And Madonna's in the Rock Hall, so I don't get why she's a "star of today".

And I LOVED Shatner's "Has Been".

Ringo Starr can't sing? He was rivalling John Lennon and George Harrison in solo hits in the 70s, and he DID sing at least one song on most of the Beatles albums. And he's touring at 69 years old, going on 70.

Shane MacGowan and Iggy Pop? Ummm yeah, they sound the SAME now as they did back in the 70s and 80s.

And I doubt Courtney sounds better or worse, same with Corgan.

Madonna? The worst thing she did was kill Guy Ritchie's career. Madonna's singing's okay and manages to keep putting hit songs out.

Janet Jackson should've been on the list. She's completely overrated as a singer.

I watched Crossroads with Def Leppard and Taylor Swift. Turns out Rick Allen's brother manages Tim McGraw and Faith Hill, and Taylor Swift was their opening act. The one song by Def Leppard that sounded good was "When Love and Hate Collide". But they were discussing the current state of music and shocked how anyone can sell 3 million CDs these days.

And Stevie Nicks is hit and miss when it comes to singing. The "Rhiannon" duet was just a bad pick, that's all. It's a song that needs someone with a strong voice for. Taylor has an okay voice, but it would be like her singing a Janis Joplin song..... you need someone with a powerhouse of a voice to pull it off.

There's a lot of singers that don't sound the way they did in their prime.... where greats like Robert Plant, Roger Daltrey, and Mick Jagger are far better examples of people who have lost something over the years. Bono can't sing the songs the way he used to, that's for damn sure.

I hate Taylor Swift, her songs just sound like another shitty disney-branded pop star, anyone who think's she's country obviously doesn't listeen to much country. & i agree with that top ten with the exeption of Anthony Akedis, the man's a great singer i take so much influence from him.

oh & just to clarify i didn't even read that bottom list with just the names, in my opinion if you publicly insult sopmeone like that you shoud back it up instead of just saying "They Suck".

Edited by The Matinator

If you end Guns career at Appetite, Lies, Illusions and then Axl dies before making the liberal media hate him then he is hailed. Predjuduce against Axl for a few thing: One in a Million, accusations of violence against women, spoke his mind about the talentless media. If he was a liberal like Vedder or Cobain and championed causes that the left wing media loves then Axl would be hailed the genius performer that in fact he is.

:lol: