Slash referencing Axl in "Crucify The Dead"?

ManetsBR

one album

Yes, amazing, isn't it? One was all it took. :tongue2:

to tarnish the band's legacy..

You are right. It has tarnished the legacy. It was greeted in the US with a yawn, if that.

Does it means that US sucks when we're talking about music nowadays, or that CD sucks?

Well, if you saw the Grammy Awards, and if you are updated about the Chinese Democracy South American Tour 2010 you won't have any doubts to know the right answer.

Absolutely the US has horrible taste in music (i.e. American Idol and Nickelback) and it is also a very fractured market (i.e. hip hop, indie rock, country, etc.). CD is a decent album but Axl has failed to connect with the youth in the US and his older audience has moved on. At any rate, Axl has failed in the US.

Failed to connect with the youth? How the fuck did i get here?

So you represent all youth? Your listening habits reflect those of all the students at your school?

Well did i state that? I dont remember i ever implied i represent all youth.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one album

Yes, amazing, isn't it? One was all it took. :tongue2:

to tarnish the band's legacy..

You are right. It has tarnished the legacy. It was greeted in the US with a yawn, if that.

Guns n Roses sell out everywhere except in the USA...I think that speaks volumes. :lol: And I guess that $la$h´s performance of Paradise Shitty with Fergie didn´t tarnish the legacy... <_<

No the don't. Only a few concert were sold out of the last 2006 tour in Europe.

And about Slash; that cover isn't something to be proud off, but atleast he doesn't print the name GN'R on it wich Axl is doing right know, by performing the old songs with a bunch of (cover)musicians...

The difference is that Slash´s cover is shit while Axl´s performances are fucking great.

And you are right, during the 2006 tour they only sold out some of the shows, and the rest of the shows were pretty close to selling out. The only place where they have poor sells is in USA...wonder why?

Very well could be, certainly seems to fit. Sorry isn't about Slash though, Axl's confirmed that (on stage).

True Fact, and in my music collection I have quite a few albums that didn't make it into radio rotation, Kyuss, King Crimson, Yes, Queen,BLS, Dream theater, and the Stone's exile on main street-which was initially deemed to be a commercial failure but has aged well. I don't listen to mainstream radio because of the utter crap that is being played,from what I've read "crucify the dead" has rather cliche' lyrics, Doesn't hold up to the brilliance on "sorry" one of my favorite ChiDem cuts, and I too will not be commenting on slash's record in this section anymore, What Gunsguy said makes sense, there is a place to discuss it, but it's not here. Axl has not singled out anyone as the inspiration for "Sorry", and I personally don't think Ozzy has written a good song in a while now,as well as booting the best guitarist since Randy Rhodes, Zakk rocks!

SORRY is not about Slash. Confirmed by Axl. Axl has no good reason to say its not about slash even if it is. Why? he called the man a cancer. its not a question of guts!

Crucify the Dead may be about Axl. We dont know. I'm sure Slash will get asked the question, and if he has the balls to say "yes it is" if it is true or "no its not" big fucking deal.

I dont think Axl gives a shit if it is. Neither should Slash care about Axl. Why? Slash/Duff always proclaim they dont care. "its the past y'now, dont carry the grudge" they play it off. If Crucify the Dead is about Axl, than Slash is a hypocrite. And thats a fact. feel free to respond if u got a problem with those facts.

THAT'S FROM NEWGNR FORUM, link.

After listening to the Ozzy song on Slashs solo album (Crucify the Dead), lyrically I think Ozzy is speaking about Axl and Slashs relationship in the way Axl speaks about Slash in "Sorry". Though Ozzy is singing it, Slash co-wrote it with him. I remember reading an interview with a DJ who listened to this song months ago and he said it might annoy Axl Rose.

Check out the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ps0bQONjys

Check out the lyrics here: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=161765

Certain lines seem like references:

"We had the same dream

Lived life to extreme

A loaded gun jammed by a rose"

"Betrayed us all with your own selfish greed"

"The thorns are not around your head

Your ego cursed you till you bled"

"We were like brothers with the world in our hands

You always have too much to say

Someday you look back and you wonder why

You let it all slip away"

I just find it interesting, I might be completly wrong though, but that's what I think it's about.

That's interesting.... what do you guys think?

Yeah the song is about Slash and Axl

Ozzy said in an interview with Classic Rock magazine that the song was about Slash and Axl

and their long battle with one another

:)

But the Sorry song isn't about Slash, Axl confirmed that

:)

Edited by Drifter

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"

Can someone explain what that means please?, coz i can't make sense of it lol

R u serious? Sure? Well, then. :)

Usually it is easier to spread lies about somebody else and stick to it afterwards than facing the truly ugly sides of your own character.

Hope to have been helpful with this. ;)

Edit: Ah, if you meant to hint towards this clearly being Axl's shot at Slash - it is too general if very accurate an observation for Slash to be the only possible address. Got that? :xmasssanta:

Edited by Granny

don't know where you live, but I occasionally hear tracks from No Line.. on the radio - but that's a shit comparison anyway.

U2 is still has the same Four guys in the band now, as when they started over 30 years ago. If they do anything to tarnish the band's legacy, at least they are doing it together.

Axl acts as if the band's legacy is only his.

I don't hear songs from No Line on the radio, ever. And, it is a perfectly appropriate comparison. The point had nothing to do with band membership. It had do with the notion that a record that doesn't get heavy radio play somehow tarnishes a band's legacy. You can't draw conclusions about a record's quality and therefore whether or not it adds to or diminishes a band's legacy based on radio play. By that logic, The Spaghetti Incident? (with the exception of "Since I Don't Have You") tarnished the GN'R legacy. It just isn't that simple.

Ali

Get On Your Boots was played a good bit on the radio when it was released, but I haven't heard Magnificent played as much.

Actually, funny you mention that, but "Get On Your Boots" was played a lot initially. But, for some reason I can't quite comprehend, it dropped off the charts rapidly. It went from Billboard Top 40, to #96 to off the chart. Just goes to show that you can't correlate radio performance with quality or lack thereof.

Ali

I just listened to the whole Slash Album. If you are a rock guy (like I am). This KICKS THE FUCK OUT OF CHINESE DEMOCRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go listen to Ghost featuring Izzy, should have been a Guns song.

And where, pray tell, did you get the whole Slash album?

I just listened to the whole Slash Album. If you are a rock guy (like I am). This KICKS THE FUCK OUT OF CHINESE DEMOCRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go listen to Ghost featuring Izzy, should have been a Guns song.

He stole it from Axl's hotel room...it was next to the bourbon and tissues.

He stole it from Axl's hotel room...it was next to the bourbon and tissues.

He He how did you know? And the album is all over the internet 1/2 of its on youtube. The rest you'll have to wait for.

Geez some of you are missing the point

Since when being on the radio or selling more records mean anything from the artistic point of view ?

AFD was radio-friendly material, I love that album but it was perfect album for that era. But still was full of hooks and radio friendly songs, UYI wasn't and sales showed that. But UYI was more arty and much more complicated. Estraged was never a hit on a radio, and by fans is considered as the best GN'R song ( in majority).

You're nuts, and revising history to make your point. UYI had songs like Don't Cry and November Rain. Both of which had girls and even mothers on board with the band. It sold over a million copies in the first week and was a complete commercial success. Even Estranged, a song you say wasn't popular with radio, was constantly in the top ten on MTV (which was far more important then radio popularity). Sure, it was more artistic then AFD, but it was FAR from being what CD is. Chinese Democracy is a commercial nightmare. It is almost void of hooks, and has almost ZERO "chart" appeal. That album is pure art, which is fine with me, but it's 100 steps down from UYI as far as a "pop" record.

Chinese Democracy couldn't be any LESS "pop" if it tried.

If your any kind of authentic Guns fan or rock n roll advocate- there'd be no debate as to which surpasses the other!

:rofl-lol:

Ghost is the only good song i've heard yet Mr. 3 posts man.

Lol, Okay Mr. 517 Posts Man.

i think of myself as middle of the line, maybe 60/40 in axl's favour(if we're forced to look at it on such terms) i really dont see how anyone can say that slash's solo album surpasses CD on a musical or artistic level, its so bland - the mixing is awful and i am having difficulty remembering one solo.