Mick Wall: honest guy or hater?

D..

Okay, it was my birthday this week-end and my girlfriend offered me the "Appetite for destruction" book by Mick Wall. The name Mick Wall was familiar to me and then tonight I figured before opening the book he was mentioned in Get in the ring, that's why the name seemed soooo familiar :rofl-lol:

Anyway, I read the interview and was really wondering if some of you guys might enlighten me on this: does anyone know how much of this interview with Axl is true?

I found the interview really interesting, some bits particularly where he says he got "four songs like november rain" and november rain is his least favourite out of these four! Does this mean Estranged... This I love? (as soon as 1990???)

There was a moving part where he says few minutes after the UYI albums will begin to be sold around the world, all of them will have enough money for the rest of their lives, and there is this part where he talks about having kids and how he'd like them to be secure with money and family as it's something he's never had.

All this interview had interesting parts but there are parts which seemed weird to me, like the part where Axl talks about never being satisfied by a live performance, not wanting to go on stage, I don't know sometimes it seems to me some parts are just made up by this interviewer's own fantasy. I may be wrong, but so far I've only listened to Axl in gigs and video interviews, I've watched a lots of videos on youtube and know how he expresses himself, but I had never read a written interview (beside the 2008 chat) and it seems weird all of a sudden.

Also, that fight with Vince Neill, what really happened? On the youtube videos, journalists make it look like Vince never had the balls to confront Axl, but in the Mick Wall book, it appears that Axl never showed up to the fight? What's the true story?

It seems to me that this Mick Wall guy really holds a grudge towards Axl ever since he was fired from Kerrang and insulted in a song from a band he apparently loves (which I pretty much understand), so I don't know how much of what comes out of his pencil is true, I was offered this book and don't know what to think about it.

I've also listened to an audio interview of him tonight, where he basically says CD is a great record for Axl but not for Guns N' Roses because "slash is not here" (pretty retarded comment, if a cd is great, it's great, no matter what's the name of the artist), and it seems like he's trying to paint Axl rose as a mad man, he calls him "control freak".

On the one hand, I can't blame the guy, he appears to genuinely love the first line up of Guns N' Roses, but on the other hand, Axl "broke his heart", so how much of what his writings is true?

Edited by Montrealer
Edited thread name

Mick Wall likes to be famous more than he likes music. his opinions are biased and he thinks he's important. (denial)

That said, he's got a good writing style, it's just when it comes to Gn'R, I can't take him seriously.

from his blog just seems like he likes to rub shoulders with the bands, get free Zepp patches, he's always buying re-issues and limited editions. I think he must enjoy that he is on Get in the Ring, love it even.

I think he's a good music journalist, but he is bias against Axl. That being said, I do believe some of what he says about Axl is true, as he was the go-to journalist for the band from around 1987 til whenever the whole Vince Neil thing blew up, so he must know something about the guy.

I wouldn't take everything he says as truth though.

This I love was written in 93 or 94, its about the breakup with Steph.

he is probably talking about estranged, coma and maybe breakdown.

As for the people that claim he is biased against Axl how is he biased? You mean because he calls Axl out when he acts like an ass?

Edited by gnr-dave

I'm sure he thinks he's the Lester Bangs and Axl is the Lou Reed in the love/hate "relationship". Bangs' fans know what I'm talking about.

I think it was an in-depth interview that took place over a period of time, so that might account for those 'weird' moments.

All I know is I like Neil Strauss more than Mick Wall and did a good job with Crue, and Axl goes to Del James if he wants to do an "interview".

Mick Wall is a generally good writer and I believe every word of the stories he's told ... they've been backed up by too many other people including Slash and Duff. The fact is, Axl was out of control back in the day and EVERYONE knows it. Accusing Mick of doctoring the tapes etc ... Come on. Mick Wall was living in hotel rooms and being called up at 2am to do interviews off the cuff. He didn't have the time or ability to doctor tapes the way Axl made out. Axl just said too much shit and was embarrassed by it. So he made up some bullshit to try and get out of it.

Everyone thinks Axl's lovely now ... but back then he was a douche. And everyone ... EVERYONE says so. Except Del James :P lol